Stupidest Computer Periphial or accessory ever invented?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
No mention of iMac? Oh yeah, it's a forbidden word around here.

-SUO, anti-Mac committee

DarkKnight113

Feb 4, 2000
I mentioned iMac stuff. You know, the crappy mouse and keyboard. What I don't understand is why they include that crap even with their G4s. Oh yeah, it's Apple...

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
What about stupid software? My vote for the all-time stupidest piece of software has to be Microsoft Bob. What the hell were they thinking?

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Which reminds me of another stupid invention, those keyboards with all those shortcut buttons on the top. You know, like those keyboards for the compaq comuters and stuff. Like you press a button and it tells your computer to bring to you a website. Sounds cool, but i don't think you can customize them. They all bring you to Compaq pages.

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
I just abhor the ergonomic keyboards. I know people who swear by these, but I just swear at 'em.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I agree with The_Wildcard. Montors with speakers built into the case are at the top of my list. Compaq was really big on that concept for a while back when I had the unfortunate experience of having to sell them. Many of their systems didn't ship with speakers so you had to either buy their monitor, or fork over extra cash for speakers. I saw alot of those speakers go bad, which meant you had to RMA the monitor, which meant having a pissed off customer who couldn't use their system.

The only thing worse were the IBM CrAptiva S-series systems which came in black and had the proprietary setup where the floppy drive and CD-ROM were part of the monitor base assembly and connected to the tower via a fat cable.

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
Wildcard, a friend of mine had a compaq with all the keyboard buttons. Got a new hard drive and had to re-install windoze. Couldn't ever find the driver for the buttons, and it'd just continually turn the volume all the way down.

catseye

Jan 15, 2000
Follow these clues to what is by far (we're talking light years here, billions and billions of them) the most incredibly idiotic computer peripheral ever concieved, ever. Period. Be warned, though, not for those easily offended.

Okay, it is a commercial site on the world wide web.

freaks
understands this
foolishness
more than
everyone here.

BiggieN

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
hmmmm....nice clues. me being a college student and all, it took me 2 hours to figure it out...NOT. that might be a dumb thing but it will revolutionized aol chatting...now it'll be age/sex/ip address so they can "hook up" with you....hahah. that's sick! :D

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
I don't like CDROM caddies.....hassle...

bigjon

Mar 24, 2000
Ribbon cables - those things suck. You can never bend them the way you want to and they get in the way. And who the heck decided to line up the pins just right so it would fit either way?!

As if that weren't bad enough, a lot of vendors came along and decided to plug some of the holes in the ribbon cable connectors so that you couldn't use the cable on any other system :p :|

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I vote for the WOM (Write Only Memory). You can write to it an infinte number of times, but you can't read it.

Second on my list is the RAF (Random Access Forgetory). :D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hehehe, the worst thing? How about them mouse looking mice covers. The next stupidest peripheral invented would be the mice under them covers! :D Get a Trackball baby!!!! :) :p

Makanani

Jan 31, 2000
I was watching CNBC at work a few months ago when they interviewed this shmuck who really thought his product of a mouse that can &quot;feel&quot; things would be a huge hit. He said that people would want to feel what an item feels like before they buy something online. I was laughing my damn head off. Then i imagined buying a great looking woman online then &quot;hmmmmmmmm&quot; hahahaha