Stuff you didn't know and probably don't care about

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Reactions: KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Real Kobe beef is only sold in 9 American restaurants.

If its not found there its either highly illegal and will cost you a ridiculous amount of cash, or more likely its fake.
Is this a case of regional branding? like only champagne from the Champagne region of france can be called that type thing? As long as it's the same breed of cattle and feed the same way/cut the same way i don't see how it's any different than what these guys sell? https://wagyu.org ?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Is this a case of regional branding? like only champagne from the Champagne region of france can be called that type thing? As long as it's the same breed of cattle and feed the same way/cut the same way i don't see how it's any different than what these guys sell? https://wagyu.org ?
All three of your questions can be answered by either that article, or one of the links.
But no, it is not just branding.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
All three of your questions can be answered by either that article, or one of the links.
But no, it is not just branding.
this is the article unless i'm missing something?

Kobe beef is one of the trendiest meats in the restaurant industry — and the vast majority of America has never had a bite.
Houston's B&B Butchers & Restaurant just became only the ninth restaurant in the country to serve real Kobe beef.
While restaurants across the US offer menu items like the Cheesecake Factory's "Kobe burgers" and pricey "Kobe steaks," almost all of these claims are false. Only eight other restaurants in the entire US serve real Kobe beef, according to an investigation by Inside Edition.
Many restaurants have started using the term "Kobe" to mean any pricey beef. However, it is in fact a highly acclaimed type of wagyu beef raised in a specific region of Japan.
Here are the nine places in the US that you can actually get Kobe beef — not a knock-off:

nvm had to click the article within the article to find the relevant info- Just 3,000 to 4,000 cattle a year make the cut as Kobe beef after slaughter and inspection — and all are fathered by only 12 bulls, deemed the most genetically ideal. For comparison, Olmsted writes, that's less meat than a single midsize US cattle ranch produces in a year.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
this is the article unless i'm missing something?

Kobe beef is one of the trendiest meats in the restaurant industry — and the vast majority of America has never had a bite.
Houston's B&B Butchers & Restaurant just became only the ninth restaurant in the country to serve real Kobe beef.
While restaurants across the US offer menu items like the Cheesecake Factory's "Kobe burgers" and pricey "Kobe steaks," almost all of these claims are false. Only eight other restaurants in the entire US serve real Kobe beef, according to an investigation by Inside Edition.
Many restaurants have started using the term "Kobe" to mean any pricey beef. However, it is in fact a highly acclaimed type of wagyu beef raised in a specific region of Japan.
Here are the nine places in the US that you can actually get Kobe beef — not a knock-off:

nvm had to click the article within the article to find the relevant info- Just 3,000 to 4,000 cattle a year make the cut as Kobe beef after slaughter and inspection — and all are fathered by only 12 bulls, deemed the most genetically ideal. For comparison, Olmsted writes, that's less meat than a single midsize US cattle ranch produces in a year.
I had the "Kobe" at Cheesecake Factory almost a decade ago. I recall it was $50 a serving so, yeah: not nearly expensive enough to be real Kobe beef.

BRB... I'ma drive out to Vidalia, GA for some onions. ;)

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
1g9k4fph8uk31.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I had the "Kobe" at Cheesecake Factory almost a decade ago. I recall it was $50 a serving so, yeah: not nearly expensive enough to be real Kobe beef.

BRB... I'ma drive out to Vidalia, GA for some onions. ;)
I've been seeing wagyu beef for sale at around 70$/kg (CDN)

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I've been seeing wagyu beef for sale at around 70$/kg (CDN)
And there are two kinds - wagyu from Japan (higher fat content) and wagyu from Australia (lower fat content and lower price due to use of modern farming methods). Both depend heavily on lineage, though the Aussies use more modern methods of genetic tracing and matching.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
And there are two kinds - wagyu from Japan (higher fat content) and wagyu from Australia (lower fat content and lower price due to use of modern farming methods). Both depend heavily on lineage, though the Aussies use more modern methods of genetic tracing and matching.
there's american wagyu as well, but like australian i think they've crossbreed it since they started the herds...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't believe in magic, but runes are cool from a typographic perspective. I like the way they look, and the simplicity of design.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I don't believe in magic, but runes are cool from a typographic perspective. I like the way they look, and the simplicity of design.

These ones are better.The protection one is important, i see my bookmark icon on google chrome as such,cause well its protecting/saving it for later.

1592441782083.png

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Why do i have this feeling one of the idiots i put on ignore had a smart ass comment to say? Assuming i am right, you have been on ignore for quite a while. I make this assumption under the typical post, then immediate response from said person then immediately laugh from another member. Pattern recognition more or less. I would recommend you spend more time picking your nose or your ass, which ever you prefer then replying to a post of mine.

You do know what ignore is right? It means i can't see your post.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Why do i have this feeling one of the idiots i put on ignore had a smart ass comment to say? Assuming i am right, you have been on ignore for quite a while. I make this assumption under the typical post, then immediate response from said person then immediately laugh from another member. Pattern recognition more or less. I would recommend you spend more time picking your nose or your ass, which ever you prefer then replying to a post of mine.

You do know what ignore is right? It means i can't see your post.
What are you going on about?

If you have someone on your ignore list, then ignore them. If you think someone is saying something about you and you want to see it, then click "show ignored content". Otherwise, posting crap like this does you no good, and only invites more ridicule/drama.

Reactions: Red Squirrel