Stuff you didn't know and probably don't care about

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
DD5dmnKXsAEm1HT.jpg
TIL the Welsh have more in common with the Maori than most people would believe

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Charmonium

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Update: Union Pacific announced that the Big Boy will be heading to Ogden, UT for the 150th anniversary of the driving of the golden spike, May 09, 2019. The route has not been announced yet. Union Pacific is sending a second train, 844, to meet the Big Boy. The Big Boy is being converted from a coal burner to an oil burner as part of the rebuild.

img_up_4014_smokebox.jpg

Engine 884, Willcox, AZ, 2011
UP_844_01.jpg

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
A ganerbenburg is a castle occupied by more than one family/group of people.

Ganerbenburgen often came about as a result of a type of inheritance known as a Ganerbschaft. Each branch of the family built, usually, one residential building within a common curtain wall. Sometimes these residences were expanded into independent castles in their own right within the common castle site. Ganerbenburgs also resulted from the sale of parts of a castle in times of financial hardship or through the pledging or enfeoffment of an element of the castle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganerbenburg

Makes sense, and is practical, but I always thought of a castle being occupied by a single family. "A man's home is his castle" doesn't have quite the same meaning :^D

I ran into it reading an article on Eltz castle...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eltz_Castle

I downloaded an image to use a desktop, and was intrigued by the building. Eight stories tall. "I'm tired. I think I'll go to bed... Uh, you know... Fuck it. I'll just sleep here on the floor" :^D

It's still owned by the same families since the 12th century. Pretty cool stuff. Impressive interiors also...

2625b547d678c11ab5f726441e4adb4b.jpg

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=eltz+castle+inside&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Theres 21 remedies for a canker sore.

http://yourwellness.guide/2017/07/2...dium=cankersoresremedies&utm_campaign=bing_us

Most of them are fuckin weird.
I'm always skeptical of health stuff found on the web. I didn't look at every one, but many looked plausible. Like a lot of "natural medicine", they take science, and extend it past its useful state. I would be surprised if the treatments did any better than merely waiting for actually getting rid of the issue. Some will temporarily dull the pain. That may or may not be worth the investment of actually doing the treatment.

May 11, 2008
I read this article lately on arstechnica.
It is about deepmind from google and it has amazing accurate prediction capabilities that it learns on its own without hard coded rules.
It is about AI software that within limit can accurately predict and "imagine" from data without being coded with hard coded rules.
One part analyzes images and turns the camera view from 3d images into mathematical vector data and the other part is able to deduce from previous learning that when for example looking at a chair from one side, that the other side must look similar. Now what is striking, is that the software was never coded to handle lightning and shadows, but the ai learned about lightning and shadows and was also able to predict how the light and shadow casting must look from another angle it has not been introduced to before.
oh well, just read the article , they explain it much better than i do. It is really a big step forward.

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...ware-can-sketch-scenes-its-never-seen-before/

Screen-Shot-2018-06-28-at-4.18.25-PM-800x534.png

New research from Google's UK-based DeepMind subsidiary demonstrates that deep neural networks have a remarkable capacity to understand a scene, represent it in a compact format, and then "imagine" what the same scene would look like from a perspective the network hasn't seen before.
Human beings are good at this. If shown a picture of a table with only the front three legs visible, most people know intuitively that the table probably has a fourth leg on the opposite side and that the wall behind the table is probably the same color as the parts they can see. With practice, we can learn to sketch the scene from another angle, taking into account perspective, shadow, and other visual effects.
A DeepMind team led by Ali Eslami and Danilo Rezende has developed software based on deep neural networks with these same capabilities—at least for simplified geometric scenes. Given a handful of "snapshots" of a virtual scene, the software—known as a generative query network (GQN)—uses a neural network to build a compact mathematical representation of that scene. It then uses that representation to render images of the room from new perspectives—perspectives the network hasn't seen before.
The researchers didn't hard-code any prior knowledge about the kind of environments they would be rendering into the GQN. Human beings are aided by years of experience looking at real-world objects. The DeepMind network develops its own similar intuition simply by examining a bunch of images from similar scenes.
"One of the most surprising results [was] when we saw it could do things like perspective and occlusion and lighting and shadows," Eslami told us in a Wednesday phone interview. "We know how to write renderers and graphics engines," he said. What's remarkable about DeepMind's software, however, is that the programmers didn't try to hard-code these laws of physics into the software. Instead, Eslami said, the software started with a blank slate that was able to "effectively discover these rules by looking at images."
It's the latest demonstration of the incredible versatility of deep neural networks. We already know how to use deep learning to classify images, win at Go, and even play Atari 2600 games. Now we know they have a remarkable capacity for reasoning about three-dimensional spaces.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-27-at-3.28.12-PM-640x236.png

snip....

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
In 1845 a circus in Yarmouth England staged a promotional stunt where one of their clowns would ride down a river in a washtub pulled by geese. Thousands turned out to watch and 79 people, mostly children, were killed when the bridge they were standing on collapsed.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The exact quote is as follows:

" Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."