Stuff you didn't know and probably don't care about

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
EVERYONE expected the Spanish Inquisition. The Inquisition was conducted with as much privacy as investigations into Trump's ties to Russia and Bill Clinton's sex life. When the Inquisition came to town it was not a secret or a surprise. The Grand Inquisitor would preach, there would be days or weeks of collecting testimony, accusations and confessions. Then the defendants were given advance notice before their trials began. Monty Python lied to us!!

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I recently read this in a health related newsletter and wanted to share. When using a nasal spray you should angle the nozzle toward the vertical midline of your face. That's probably obvious to many if not most people. But some of us aren't that bright.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
And on that topic...
The wikipedia page for Everything has 577 words. The wikipedia page for Nothing has 1688 words.

We have more to say about Nothing than we do about Everything.

You make it sound like you don't know about the neffing thread.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I've seen it. had no idea what was going on inside, so left.

Not unlike the last time i stumbled upon a furry party.
One does not simply stumble upon a furry party unless you have seriously aggrieved the Fates. In which case, I'll pray for you. OK, I don't really pray. But if I did, I would.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Why the flag on one side of a uniform is backwards. It's actually part of a very old tradition
Army Regulation 670-1 dictates how a U.S. soldier’s uniform must look. A portion of that regulation, known as “Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,” stipulates that the American flag be worn backwards on the right shoulder of a soldier’s uniform. Why? The rule dates back to the Army's early history, when a standard bearer carried the flag into battle. As the standard bearer charged, his forward momentum caused the flag to stream back in the wind, the blue patch of stars facing forward. The same applies to the backward patch on the right shoulder -- it is designed to look like the flag is flying in the breeze as the soldier moves forward, and it never appears that the stars are in retreat.

It's a grand old flag:

• America takes its flag seriously. The place of honor for the American flag is always to the right of other organizational flags, such as Marine Corps or Navy flags.
  • When carried together with an organizational flag, the American flag is carried to the right of the line of march.
  • An organizational flag may be dipped in salute to the reviewing officer at a parade, or during the national anthem, but the American flag is never dipped in salute.
http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-us-flags-sometimes-seem-backwards-on-military-uniforms.htm

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
This is the patented way to hang your toilet paper.
New York inventor Seth Wheeler patented the first perforated toilet paper in 1871, and launched the Albany Perforated Wrapping Paper Co. six years later. In 1891, he introduced a new roll design, and his patent application included drawings of how the roll of toilet paper should hang from a dispenser. It clearly shows the end of the paper hanging over the front of the roll, not behind it. For people who argue about such things, it was a victory of sorts. According to a Twitter post by researcher Owen Williams, who unearthed the patent materials: “The patent for toilet paper should settle the over vs. under debate.” Perhaps -- but there are plenty of people who would still argue passionately that toilet paper should hang under the roll.

The roll that rocked the world:

• The first historical record of paper being used for this sort of hygiene dates back to 6th century China. The first mass-produced product was made in the 14th century in what is now the eastern province of Zhejiang.
  • Elsewhere, wealthy folks wiped themselves with wool, lace, or hemp. Less fortunate people resorted to materials ranging from leaves, grass, hay, and moss to corncobs and plant husks.
  • In ancient Rome, a device described as “a sponge on a stick” was commonly used to clean up. After use, the tool was stored in a pail of vinegar.

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-there-a-correct-way-to-hang-toilet-paper.htm

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
ihkfnqw1o1x01.jpg

Armor of a French soldier in the Battle of Waterloo

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Wow, awesome protection.

To be fair IMO, is there much personal armour that will protect the wearer against cannonball fire even today? AFAIK the best that the average cavalryman could have hoped for was armour that would protect them from a shittily-designed and projected bullet a hundredth of the size of a cannonball.

Even if the armour could withstand a direct hit from a cannonball, I suspect the force at which the person has been hit is still likely to kill them.

Reactions: KMFJD and Thebobo

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
To be fair IMO, is there much personal armour that will protect the wearer against cannonball fire even today? AFAIK the best that the average cavalryman could have hoped for was armour that would protect them from a shittily-designed and projected bullet a hundredth of the size of a cannonball.

Even if the armour could withstand a direct hit from a cannonball, I suspect the force at which the person has been hit is still likely to kill them.
Moving to Canada is a great idea. worked in the 60's.

;)

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Canadians really make fun of American beer? Don't they know we have a multitude of incredibly good craft breweries?

Actually we have better craft breweries than you guys, I had and visited a lot of breweries in US and I think we best you guys in terms of quality - I am looking at you Stone. Our craft are actually really really good in general.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
To be fair IMO, is there much personal armour that will protect the wearer against cannonball fire even today?.

Of course not. But today the next of kin would be able to sue the manufacturer of the armor for such an egregious design flaw.