Stuck in dead-end job

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
800/month to pay off loans, yeesh. And 100K isnt all that unheard of in undergrad.
Granted it's a different beast, but some of my medschool friends finished with 300K in debt.

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thought engineers were in high demand??

Ever thought of working in the aircraft industry? I'm fairly sure Boeing is hiring like crazy still. If you like working with people, look into Liaison engineering. You get to work out in the factory directly on the airplane figuring out wiring problems and whatnot.

The_Dude8

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by: eaj0010
Hi,
I'll make this short the best that I can. I have a dead end job that I absolutely hate. What's worse, is that I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and my job involves me doing AutoCAD work designing switchboards and I absolutely hate doing it. When I graduated, Power electrical engineering was my least desired job profession that I wanted to get into but because time was running short on when I had to start repaying student loans, I opted to go into it because my dad works at the facility where I work. I have over $100k in student loan debt from my journey into college not exactly sure what I wanted to do and now that I have a degree in EE, I know that EE isn't what I want. I have been trying to go through a career change into IT because I actually enjoy IT a lot.

However, it has been damn near impossible getting another job/career change because I don't have the experience except for experience with a job that has nothing to do with IT at all. I was possibly considering joining one of the military forces as an officer and getting the gov't to repay a large chunk of my student loan debt but it almost feels like I'm giving up my freedom. I am pretty stuck on what to do and every day kills me by way of monotany. I am not at all patriotic either, hence some struggle with the decision. My dad was in the air force and I hated it when he was in it, but I don't have any ties except for my family. I am a little older (26), but I'm not married nor do I have children. What do you guys think? Please advise I'm getting desperate here.

I am @ the same stage @ you; I feel i am pissin away my life; I feel like i am lost in translation in this world.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Naustica
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Naustica
wow. $100k in student loans. That's like a death sentence.

its not that uncommon at all :/

Unless you become a doctor or a dentist, $100k student loans will not work out for the majority. Colleges are definitely taking advantage of the naive students and parents if they graduate with $100k loans and are not a doctor or a dentist with the earnings power to pay that off quick.
avg price of a 4 year privite school is around 34k a year and its just undergrad, more people dont get aid and dont have rich parents then those that do

however this is AT where everyone is rich and everyone gets a full ride

If you go to a private 4 yr university that cost 34k a year for undergrad and don't get most of it paid by the university or your rich parents, you're a moron. Private school isn't meant for people without money or the means. That's why community colleges and state universities exist.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: John P

Ever thought of working in the aircraft industry? I'm fairly sure Boeing is hiring like crazy still. If you like working with people, look into Liaison engineering. You get to work out in the factory directly on the airplane figuring out wiring problems and whatnot.

Engineers are in demand.
Its more about liking the type of work your doing.
There are plenty of jobs, but that doesn't help if you don't like the work.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Originally posted by: John P

Engineers are in demand.
Its more about liking the type of work your doing.
There are plenty of jobs, but that doesn't help if you don't like the work.

This...

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
I agree with looking into the federal student loan repayment program. There's the possibility of them paying off a good chunk of that $100K anchor around your neck. Some government agencies have programs to recruit and train young engineering grads. There's bound to be some interesting EE work at DoD, NIST, NASA, JPL, working as a civilian for the military, etc.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory
I agree with looking into the federal student loan repayment program. There's the possibility of them paying off a good chunk of that $100K anchor around your neck. Some government agencies have programs to recruit and train young engineering grads. There's bound to be some interesting EE work at DoD, NIST, NASA, JPL, working as a civilian for the military, etc.

As a navy civilian, I do not personaly know of any programs to payback student loans. There are programs that if you commit to work there 5 years after you graduate, they will help you while you are in school.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Codewiz
As a navy civilian, I do not personaly know of any programs to payback student loans. There are programs that if you commit to work there 5 years after you graduate, they will help you while you are in school.
OK, he can strike that one. I don't know which specific agencies offer repayment or who qualifies, I'm just throwing out some agencies that come to mind that might offer some cutting-edge EE work.

I'd certainly spend some time researching that and see what's out there before I'd go sign up for the military in an attempt to get out of school loans.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: The_Dude8
Originally posted by: eaj0010
Hi,
I'll make this short the best that I can. I have a dead end job that I absolutely hate. What's worse, is that I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and my job involves me doing AutoCAD work designing switchboards and I absolutely hate doing it. When I graduated, Power electrical engineering was my least desired job profession that I wanted to get into but because time was running short on when I had to start repaying student loans, I opted to go into it because my dad works at the facility where I work. I have over $100k in student loan debt from my journey into college not exactly sure what I wanted to do and now that I have a degree in EE, I know that EE isn't what I want. I have been trying to go through a career change into IT because I actually enjoy IT a lot.

However, it has been damn near impossible getting another job/career change because I don't have the experience except for experience with a job that has nothing to do with IT at all. I was possibly considering joining one of the military forces as an officer and getting the gov't to repay a large chunk of my student loan debt but it almost feels like I'm giving up my freedom. I am pretty stuck on what to do and every day kills me by way of monotany. I am not at all patriotic either, hence some struggle with the decision. My dad was in the air force and I hated it when he was in it, but I don't have any ties except for my family. I am a little older (26), but I'm not married nor do I have children. What do you guys think? Please advise I'm getting desperate here.

I am @ the same stage @ you; I feel i am pissin away my life; I feel like i am lost in translation in this world.

Patience. In many ways I feel the same way, but I am working my ass off to go up the ladder.