Stuck in dead-end job

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Hi,
I'll make this short the best that I can. I have a dead end job that I absolutely hate. What's worse, is that I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and my job involves me doing AutoCAD work designing switchboards and I absolutely hate doing it. When I graduated, Power electrical engineering was my least desired job profession that I wanted to get into but because time was running short on when I had to start repaying student loans, I opted to go into it because my dad works at the facility where I work. I have over $100k in student loan debt from my journey into college not exactly sure what I wanted to do and now that I have a degree in EE, I know that EE isn't what I want. I have been trying to go through a career change into IT because I actually enjoy IT a lot.

However, it has been damn near impossible getting another job/career change because I don't have the experience except for experience with a job that has nothing to do with IT at all. I was possibly considering joining one of the military forces as an officer and getting the gov't to repay a large chunk of my student loan debt but it almost feels like I'm giving up my freedom. I am pretty stuck on what to do and every day kills me by way of monotany. I am not at all patriotic either, hence some struggle with the decision. My dad was in the air force and I hated it when he was in it, but I don't have any ties except for my family. I am a little older (26), but I'm not married nor do I have children. What do you guys think? Please advise I'm getting desperate here.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I was possibly considering joining one of the military forces as an officer and getting the gov't to repay a large chunk of my student loan debt

Good luck getting that to happen.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
If it feels like something you'd like to do, go for it. After 9/11 happened (I was 22), I had a very strong desire to enlist... I'm very glad that I didn't though... my girlfriend at the time has become my wife, and we have a 2 year old daughter together. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Dont go into the military unless you *really* want to. Get a job in IT.

ajskydiver

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2000
You sound like a horrible candidate for becoming an officer in any branch of the military.

- You're not patriotic
- You're not able to make decisions without consulting the internet -- You're 26 FFS!

Change your life, but please stay out of the military -- our enlisted guys have it tough enough as it is - they don't need someone like you in their chain of command.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Aj_UF
You sound like a horrible candidate for becoming an officer in any branch of the military.

- You're not patriotic
- You're not able to make decisions without consulting the internet -- You're 26 FFS!

Change your life, but please stay out of the military -- our enlisted guys have it tough enough as it is - they don't need someone like you in their chain of command.

I agree with you completely.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
wow. $100k in student loans. That's like a death sentence.

Have you looked into job at the Federal Govt? I think I've heard that the govt will forgive some or all of your student loan if it's for position they really need.

Student loans and taxes are two death sentences. Neither can be wiped out in bankruptcy or anything. Only your death will resolve unpaid student loans and taxes.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Naustica

Have you looked into job at the Federal Govt? I think I've heard that the govt will forgive some or all of your student loan if it's for position they really need.

Student loans and taxes are two death sentences. Neither can be wiped out in bankruptcy or anything. Only your death will resolve unpaid student loans and taxes.

I started looking at jobs for the gov't and I wouldn't be opposed to it. It feels like I'm drowning every day and I know I need something to change. I really hate where the chips have falled down my path. It's hard to put anything in a positive sense

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis

its not that uncommon at all :/

Unless you become a doctor or a dentist, $100k student loans will not work out for the majority. Colleges are definitely taking advantage of the naive students and parents if they graduate with $100k loans and are not a doctor or a dentist with the earnings power to pay that off quick.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Live with your Parents and paying off that 100K student loan becomes a lot easier ;)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: eaj0010

I started looking at jobs for the gov't and I wouldn't be opposed to it. It feels like I'm drowning every day and I know I need something to change. I really hate where the chips have falled down my path. It's hard to put anything in a positive sense

Well, I heard on Clark Howard's radio show last week that the govt is looking for lot of new people because so many people are retiring. He said the govt had lot of programs for loan forgiveness for new recruits in order to entice qualified candidates. I would look into it if I was you. Anything to reduce or get rid of that student loans. That loan probably set you back 10-15 years.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Anubis

its not that uncommon at all :/

Unless you become a doctor or a dentist, $100k student loans will not work out for the majority. Colleges are definitely taking advantage of the naive students and parents if they graduate with $100k loans and are not a doctor or a dentist with the earnings power to pay that off quick.

[/quote]
avg price of a 4 year privite school is around 34k a year and its just undergrad, more people dont get aid and dont have rich parents then those that do

however this is AT where everyone is rich and everyone gets a full ride

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005

Well, I heard on Clark Howard's radio show last week that the govt is looking for lot of new people because so many people are retiring. He said the govt had lot of programs for loan forgiveness for new recruits in order to entice qualified candidates. I would look into it if I was you. Anything to reduce or get rid of that student loans. That loan probably set you back 10-15 years.

Try 30...

Federal and Private loans. $800/month for 10 years, $268 for 20 years after that.

Thanks for the advise I will definitally look into it. I have been told by numerous people that the EE -> IT transition is fairly reasonable but I have been having a hard time getting the job. I've had a handful of companies calling, but never call back because of my EE experince... :(

Thanks for all the replies thus far

tidehigh

Nov 13, 2006
most IT jobs don't like hiring EE's because they feel like EE's are expected to be paid better. There are so many jobs you can get as an EE... take a look around, I'm sure there's something you'd like out there.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Seriously, hit the government jobs websites. My parents used to send me stuff from there all the time. Good pay, good benefits, and so on. It seems like there's something for almost everybody if you're willing to relocate. You're young, single, and desperate - so why not?

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
if education is the key...then tell me why the people have to make it so expensive for weee...give them the key oh set them freeeee

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally posted by: tidehigh
most IT jobs don't like hiring EE's because they feel like EE's are expected to be paid better. There are so many jobs you can get as an EE... take a look around, I'm sure there's something you'd like out there.

I would rather take a pay cut and be happy doing what I like than making more money and doing what I hate.

I believe my total comp is somewhere around $60k and I don't expect close to that doing IT.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Somewhat similar to what I did.
I started out as an EE.
Worked for companies like GE, RCA, Cray research.
The work was ok, but I wasn't really happy.
I liked doing electronics as a hobby so thought that would make a good career.
Nope, two different worlds.

So I gave up the EE stuff and switched to something I had always been passionate about.
CG, or computer graphics and animation.

Been doing that for over 10 years now, and I love it.
Can't get enough of it.

It pays less, about 60% less, but I'm happy now, and that makes all the difference.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Josh
if education is the key...then tell me why the people have to make it so expensive for weee...give them the key oh set them freeeee

Brown just announced elimination of tuition for students from families making under 60k/yr and Standford offers the same for students with families making under 100k/yr

im too lazy to link, check NYT education section.

from the Brown article:
TextBrown also announced plans to increase tuition by 3.9 percent for the 2008-9 academic year to $36,928. With room and board, the costs are $47,740 for one year.

jesus tapdancing christ.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: tidehigh

I would rather take a pay cut and be happy doing what I like than making more money and doing what I hate.

I believe my total comp is somewhere around $60k and I don't expect close to that doing IT.

True, but on the other hand, you have $100K in student loan debt, and this could easily get in the way of other major things in your life (house, family, etc.) You've only got so much wiggle room for a pay cut.