Storm Death Conversion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Personally I don't give a damn if the entire population of Burma is killed. However I do care when Americans die and since this is still, for the moment, the U.S.A. I would expect deaths here to be covered with a higher profile on the news than deaths in a country on the other side of the world.

Good job. It's Americans like you that validate the 'fuck the world' stereotype so many outside of this country have of us.

If youre american,

American > everyone else. Its called Patriotism.

pa·tri·ot·ism Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pey-tree-uh-tiz-uhm

?noun devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.
Here it is jingoism and naming something that is a vice does not excuse it.
We need to take care of our people first and stop sending billions overseas until we have our own problems solved.
They are only your people through pure luck of being born here. Is somebody really so much more important just for being born in the US if you've never met him than somebody not?
Part of being an American patriot is recognizing that LIFE has value.
For some it's merely recognizing that if, by pure luck of the draw, you were born in the US your life is worth infinitely more than somebody not. I wonder where my life would fall in the scale. I live in the US, but wasn't born here, so I wonder if I'm closer to an American or a useless Burmese and if, the second I get my citizenship, I'll be up to par with an American or still on the scale since I wasn't born here.

It has nothing to do with the life of one nationality being more valuable than another. Sure where someone is born is the luck of the draw, but that doesn't mean we should be sending our taxpayer dollars overseas when we have our own needy right here at home. If you want to send private money to help wherever in the world you like that is fine, however it is not our government's responsibility to shelter and feed the rest of the world.

It has everything to do with the fact that we as a nation should be using that money to insure the health and welfare of our own people rather than sending it overseas. Once hunger, homelessness and etc... are eliminated here we can start worrying about the rest of the world.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Personally I don't give a damn if the entire population of Burma is killed. However I do care when Americans die and since this is still, for the moment, the U.S.A. I would expect deaths here to be covered with a higher profile on the news than deaths in a country on the other side of the world.

Good job. It's Americans like you that validate the 'fuck the world' stereotype so many outside of this country have of us.

If youre american,

pa·tri·ot·ism Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pey-tree-uh-tiz-uhm

You do realize it's possible to be a patriotic American and have some sympathy for others?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: sirjonk

If youre american,

There's a difference between saying that all things being equal, an american life is more important than the life of a foreign citizen. It is another thing to say that you could give a shit about the death of millions on another continent. Part of being an American patriot is recognizing that LIFE has value.

It has nothing to do with the value of life. It has to do with what shinerburke said: "I'd rather 10,000 people in Burma die than one child starve to death here. We need to start taking care of our own instead of wasting money in shithole countries who will never improve."

fuck them. We have problems of our own.
How does your $4 gas compare to thousands of people dying? Of course it has to do with value of life. Is there anything worse, I ask, than somebody in the West bitching about their circumstances as if they are somehow on par with those in other countries? By comparison, your problems are pitiful, like a spoiled child complaining that his 16th birthday give was merely a lexus instead of a porsche. It is contemptable.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

If youre american,

You do realize it's possible to be a patriotic American and have some sympathy for others?

Having sympathy is entirely different than sending millions/billions overseas to help people out when that money could and should be spent here to help out or own hungry and homeless.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

If youre american,

There's a difference between saying that all things being equal, an american life is more important than the life of a foreign citizen. It is another thing to say that you could give a shit about the death of millions on another continent. Part of being an American patriot is recognizing that LIFE has value.

It has nothing to do with the value of life. It has to do with what shinerburke said: "I'd rather 10,000 people in Burma die than one child starve to death here. We need to start taking care of our own instead of wasting money in shithole countries who will never improve."

You're a heartless tool. It's too damned bad you live here instead of one of those 'shithole countries'. Fuck you.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

If youre american,

How does your $4 gas compare to thousands of people dying? Of course it has to do with value of life. Is there anything worse, I ask, than somebody in the West bitching about their circumstances as if they are somehow on par with those in other countries? By comparison, your problems are pitiful, like a spoiled child complaining that his 16th birthday give was merely a lexus instead of a porsche. It is contemptable.

I don't believe he is comparing $4 a gallon gasoline to people dying by the thousands. That's quite a reach for you to try and make.

I believe what he is saying is the same thing I am. That we have sick, hungry and homeless people here and for the government to send money overseas to help non citizens when we have needy people of our own is insane. Hell I would call it damn near criminal. The government has a responsibility to its own people, not the rest of the world.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

If youre american,

You're a heartless tool. It's too damned bad you were born here instead of one of those 'shithole countries'. Fuck you.

I'm not heartless at all. I just want our people to be taken care of with our money by our government before we start trying to feed, shelter and clothe the rest of the world. Once we have no starving or homeless here then, and only then, should we try to be the rest of the world's nanny and make sure everyone goes to bed with a full stomach in a nice warm bed.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I believe what he is saying is the same thing I am. That we have sick, hungry and homeless people here and for the government to send money overseas to help non citizens when we have needy people of our own is insane. Hell I would call it damn near criminal. The government has a responsibility to its own people, not the rest of the world.
Considering the poor in this country are fatter than the rich, it's hardly a country with a food shortage. Money simply goes a lot further if you compare human to human in a country like Nigeria than it does to America. By their very nature some people will always be barely-subsisting. Endless money and social programs doesn't help them much, so to aspire to remove the last homeless person in this country is simply not realistic.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I'm not heartless at all. I just want our people to be taken care of with our money by our government before we start trying to feed, shelter and clothe the rest of the world. Once we have no starving or homeless here then, and only then, should we try to be the rest of the world's nanny and make sure everyone goes to bed with a full stomach in a nice warm bed.

Way to morph your argument. See your earlier comment?

Personally I don't give a damn if the entire population of Burma is killed.

How that has anything to do with allocation of aid is beyond me. If you don't give a damn when millions of people someplace in the world die, you lack basic humanity.

And of course, if we follow your argument to its logical conclusion (that we shouldn't help others so long as one person in our country needs help) then we would NEVER aid anyone anywhere in the world because there will ALWAYS be people in our home country who will be hungry/jobless/poor/homeless. These are societal problems that exist in perpetuity. I'm an atheist, but some wisdom transcends religion, as when Jesus said "The poor you will always have with you." Damn right JC.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Considering the poor in this country are fatter than the rich, it's hardly a country with a food shortage. Money simply goes a lot further if you compare human to human in a country like Nigeria than it does to America. By their very nature some people will always be barely-subsisting. Endless money and social programs doesn't help them much, so to aspire to remove the last homeless person in this country is simply not realistic.

It may not be realistic, but the point is that we have our own social ills to worry about here before we fly off trying to save the rest of the world. It has irritated the hell out of me for as long as I can remember that we send tons and tons of money overseas to help this country or that country and it never gets any better while at the same time we have people here who need a hand up.

I will agree that a lot of the poor here are fat, but that is due to our welfare system allowing them to purchase unhealthy shit. It needs to be reformed to where it pays for the staples of life instead of, and I have actually seen this, paying for a shopping cart full or Pepsi, Doritos and every Little Debbie snack known to man. That's a different thread though.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Way to morph your argument. See your earlier comment?

How that has anything to do with allocation of aid is beyond me. If you don't give a damn when millions of people someplace in the world die, you lack basic humanity.

You skipped a few posts....see this:

I'd rather 10,000 people in Burma die than one child starve to death here. We need to start taking care of our own instead of wasting money in shithole countries who will never improve.

Do I have sympathy for the dead? Sure, but I still don't think we should be sending taxpayer dolalrs overseas when we have people here who need the help.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Do I have sympathy for the dead? Sure

This is what is known as contradiction.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

If youre american,

You're a heartless tool. It's too damned bad you live here instead of one of those 'shithole countries'. Fuck you.

So....looks like you have a pretty nice rig and laptop in your sig line. So tell me, why didn't you use the money it took to build/buy them to help feed the starving in Africa instead?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

You're a heartless tool. It's too damned bad you were born here instead of one of those 'shithole countries'. Fuck you.

If someone is going to say 'fuck them' to a tragedy like the one in Myanmar they are a heartless tool.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

So....looks like you have a pretty nice rig and laptop in your sig line. So tell me, why didn't you use the money it took to build/buy them to help feed the starving in Africa instead?

This is a similar (and similarly false) argument as saying anyone who supported invading Iraq but didn't enlist in the army is a hypocrite. One can support government aid to foreign disaster relief without renouncing all worldly goods and becoming a hermit. One can also make the argument you do against donating massive amounts to foreign aid, while refraining from expressing apathy towards the death of millions. Learn how to make an argument without resorting to absurdities.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001

This is a similar (and similarly false) argument as saying anyone who supported invading Iraq but didn't enlist in the army is a hypocrite. One can support government aid to foreign disaster relief without renouncing all worldly goods and becoming a hermit. One can also make the argument you do against donating massive amounts to foreign aid, while refraining from expressing apathy towards the death of millions. Learn how to make an argument without resorting to absurdities.

In that case, I support them not being hungry and being without a house but I don't want any of my money to pay for it. :confused:

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

This is a similar (and similarly false) argument as saying anyone who supported invading Iraq but didn't enlist in the army is a hypocrite. One can support government aid to foreign disaster relief without renouncing all worldly goods and becoming a hermit. Learn how to make an argument without resorting to absurdities.

Sure, that is part of my point. People are all for the government sending money here there and everywhere because they don't see it as an expensive to themselves. Ask them to send a dollar of their own though and it becomes a different story.

My point is that the government should not be sending money overseas when it can be used to help our own. If people want to donate their own money to help Burma or wherever then that is fine.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001

This is a similar (and similarly false) argument as saying anyone who supported invading Iraq but didn't enlist in the army is a hypocrite. One can support government aid to foreign disaster relief without renouncing all worldly goods and becoming a hermit. Learn how to make an argument without resorting to absurdities.

Sure, that is part of my point. People are all for the government sending money here there and everywhere because they don't see it as an expensive to themselves. Ask them to send a dollar of their own though and it becomes a different story.

My point is that the government should not be sending money overseas when it can be used to help our own. If people want to donate their own money to help Burma or wherever then that is fine.

I don't think your view is unreasonable.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Uh, my charity donations are none of your business so fuck off.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

If youre american,

WTF does you post have to do with the topic at hand? JHC might as well throw Bush in for good measure.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

I'm beginning to wonder if you can post without using the word "Fuck"

Anyway.....you're right it isn't any of my business. However I doubt you have ever given a dime to any charity.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
The whole point of this thread was the US news coverage of Burma was now being overshadowed by this weekend's tornados/storms.

Exactly how is this a problem??? the world continues to turn...stuff happens that needs to be reported...

Is MSN.com pro-communist now because the article on the Chinese earthquakes this morning had a bigger font than the 20 people who got killed this weekend by the storms???

Text

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
Wait, are you saying next Monday's newspaper will be different than today's?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'm beginning to wonder if you can post without using the word "Fuck"

Anyway.....you're right it isn't any of my business. However I doubt you have ever given a dime to any charity.

1. I don't use that word often in this forum but will use it where it applies and in your and blackangst's case it does.

2. Your doubt is wrong but again it's none of your business.