Storm Death Conversion

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
A few dozen people may have died from torandoes and Burma falls off the map again. God bless Fox News.

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
He means that 20 or 30 americans at risk has pushed the tens or hundreds of thousand at risk in burma out of the news.

Sep 12, 2004
Yeah. 11 die in a ferry capsizing in Haiti and that news eclipses it too.

:confused:

btw, is this some kind of contest where the death count is supposed to be a measure of what is valid news and what isn't?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Getting video from a tornado in the US is a lot easier than getting video of dead people in Burma. Hell, getting any kind of news out of Burma is difficult.

There may be thousands of people dying in North Korea due to starvation, but it never makes the news because no one is there to report it.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Personally I don't give a damn if the entire population of Burma is killed. However I do care when Americans die and since this is still, for the moment, the U.S.A. I would expect deaths here to be covered with a higher profile on the news than deaths in a country on the other side of the world.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Personally I don't give a damn if the entire population of Burma is killed. However I do care when Americans die and since this is still, for the moment, the U.S.A. I would expect deaths here to be covered with a higher profile on the news than deaths in a country on the other side of the world.

My first thought to this is "you b******", but then I realize that with the out break of HIV and people hacking each other to death over in the less developed areas of Africa I don't care because they refuse to help themselves.

If there is no outcry from the people of Burma over what is happening then they should be nice and happy with their current conditions.

Sheople (as in sheep+people) is the proper term if I am not mistaken.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sheople

I don't know if is true today but throughout much of China's history the people there have been the definition of sheople, in WW2 during the Japanese invasion they would line up in rows of 20 or more with a Japanese soldier firing a high powered rifle through the row to save bullets, the next lot of Chinese would then come up to take position where there their fellow citizens had fallen and most likely saw. Yet throughout their history there have been acts of rebellion against their leaders. They where sheople but some had balls.

-edit- If you mean that no other human life/lives has value compared to a American life then you are a sad example of humanity. If enough Americans thought like you I'd actively work towards Americas downfall even if it would cost me my life because of the power you hold and the total disregard for human life is unacceptable.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
This is nothing new. It would be better if we have news coverage like BBC or something. NPR is pretty good for news coverage in terms of not focusing totally on America. You have to understand that news in America is just another form of entertainment. They have to sell time slots for commercials to make money just like when any other show is on. So, they try to show stuff that they think people will wtch the most. In a way, it is kind of the publics' fault for being so ethnocentric, shallow, and materialistic.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I was complaining about the cheese on my sandwich at a meeting the other day. One of my coworkers said that he wished he had one of those tiny violins to play for me, but they were hard to find. I said yeah, they sent them all the Berma. Everyone laughed. I feel bad.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

yep you're a troll

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Getting video from a tornado in the US is a lot easier than getting video of dead people in Burma. Hell, getting any kind of news out of Burma is difficult.

There may be thousands of people dying in North Korea due to starvation, but it never makes the news because no one is there to report it.
Actually it's because they are not Americans and people don't really care. The poorer a country is, the more common tragedy is, the less we care, like they should be used to it and it's probably not that bad for them. You know I'm right. We can go on for years about Hurrican Katrina but then magnitudes more die in some other country and who really cares.
I realize that with the out break of HIV and people hacking each other to death over in the less developed areas of Africa I don't care because they refuse to help themselves.
I'd love to know what you'd do if you had no money, no education, and your government is so completely detached from you and most of your life is spent merely trying to feed your kids. People are quick to talk about self-direction, but when push comes to shove they fall over. America is full of plenty of cowards just like every other country because we're all human. We can all be easily controlled and coerced and fearful and we will do what we're told. This is why people will peacefully walk into a death chamber.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: rezinn
He means that 20 or 30 americans at risk has pushed the tens or hundreds of thousand at risk in burma out of the news.

Oh I see ok. Then Im outraged. We need 20 hour/day coverage on Burma for sure. With some Iraq death counts thrown in for good measure.

Its blasphemy!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Brigandier
A few dozen people may have died from torandoes and Burma falls off the map again. God bless Fox News.

How is this Fox New's fault? And when are you getting on a plane to Burma to help?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Good job. It's Americans like you that validate the 'fuck the world' stereotype so many outside of this country have of us.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87

How is this Fox New's fault? And when are you getting on a plane to Burma to help?

WTF does one have to do with the other? Are people not allowed to have some sympathy for the people of Myanmar without getting on a plane to aid in the relief?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Anyone who says they "don't give a damn" if the entire population of a country is killed, let alone mere tens of thousands, has worked diligently to earn their asshole card :thumbsup:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor

Good job. It's Americans like you that validate the 'fuck the world' stereotype so many outside of this country have of us.

If youre american,

American > everyone else. Its called Patriotism.

pa·tri·ot·ism Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pey-tree-uh-tiz-uhm

?noun devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

yep you're a troll

Troll? No, I just don't give a damn if people in other countries are dying. Let their news organizations cover it and let their countrymen worry about it.

I will always place more importance on news from my own country than from others. Until nobody here is dying from natural disasters or starvation or etc... then the rest of the world can rot as far as I'm concerned. We need to take care of our people first and stop sending billions overseas until we have our own problems solved.

Asshole? Yeah, probably, but I really don't give a flying fuck about what happens to someone killed or starving in Country X when we have problems of our own that need to be fixed.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Anyone who says they "don't give a damn" if the entire population of a country is killed, let alone mere tens of thousands, has worked diligently to earn their asshole card :thumbsup:

I'd rather 10,000 people in Burma die than one child starve to death here. We need to start taking care of our own instead of wasting money in shithole countries who will never improve.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1

If youre american,

pa·tri·ot·ism Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pey-tree-uh-tiz-uhm

There's a difference between saying that all things being equal, an american life is more important than the life of a foreign citizen. It is another thing to say that you could give a shit about the death of millions on another continent. Part of being an American patriot is recognizing that LIFE has value.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

I'd rather 10,000 people in Burma die than one child starve to death here. We need to start taking care of our own instead of wasting money in shithole countries who will never improve.

No need for this clarifying post, I completely understood how distorted your values were from your first post.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

No need for this clarifying post, I completely understood how distorted your values were from your first post.

Distorted? No, realistic. I see no reason for us as a nation to be sending our money overseas when it could be used right here at home to help our own people.

As long as there is 1 person homeless or hungry in this country we shouldn't send a dime overseas to help out the starving, displaced, etc, etc, etc....

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

If youre american,

Here it is jingoism and naming something that is a vice does not excuse it.
We need to take care of our people first and stop sending billions overseas until we have our own problems solved.
They are only your people through pure luck of being born here. Is somebody really so much more important just for being born in the US if you've never met him than somebody not?
Part of being an American patriot is recognizing that LIFE has value.
For some it's merely recognizing that if, by pure luck of the draw, you were born in the US your life is worth infinitely more than somebody not. I wonder where my life would fall in the scale. I live in the US, but wasn't born here, so I wonder if I'm closer to an American or a useless Burmese and if, the second I get my citizenship, I'll be up to par with an American or still on the scale since I wasn't born here.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

If youre american,

There's a difference between saying that all things being equal, an american life is more important than the life of a foreign citizen. It is another thing to say that you could give a shit about the death of millions on another continent. Part of being an American patriot is recognizing that LIFE has value.

It has nothing to do with the value of life. It has to do with what shinerburke said: "I'd rather 10,000 people in Burma die than one child starve to death here. We need to start taking care of our own instead of wasting money in shithole countries who will never improve."

fuck them. We have problems of our own.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87

WTF does one have to do with the other? Are people not allowed to have some sympathy for the people of Myanmar without getting on a plane to aid in the relief?

Tis a good question. WTF does Foxnews have to do with the people of Burma?