Stop rooting for war and mind your own life

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I am sick and tired of the previous generation scoffing at my generation's wars of Iraq and Afghanistan. I want a real war to highlight this American generation, and what better war to have than with the Russians! The enemy that the previous generation was too scared to go to war with, and this generation took them on!

Can't wait.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I am sick and tired of the previous generation scoffing at my generation's wars of Iraq and Afghanistan. I want a real war to highlight this American generation, and what better war to have than with the Russians! The enemy that the previous generation was too scared to go to war with, and this generation took them on!

Can't wait.

Russia won't be the war you want.

Mexico is.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I knew when I saw Rocky 4 we were going to war with the Russians. It only took us 25 years but that's OK.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What's funny is how many financial analysts predicted war this year. Why? Because it's a widely known fact that governments start wars for the sake of distracting people. Look at China. That country is an absolute disaster. China is in the biggest financial bubble ever, and they've started talking about invading some Japanese islands or invading the Philippines. Japan is on the edge of bankruptcy, and they've started talking about war. American politicians have been talking about wars in the middle east since the 2008 meltdown (Iran, Syria, Egypt). North Korea tests rockets every time they run out of food.

Obama and Kerry seem hell bent on destroying the world. They tried to start world war 3 in Syria then backed down. They tried to start world war 3 in Iran then backed down. Now they're trying to start word war 3 in Ukraine. The people of Crimea are ethnic Russians who largely support Russia. Crimea was part of Russia until 1954. They're not "invading" Ukraine. They're protecting ethnic Russians against the puppet government that controls the west side of Ukraine.
How on Earth would Syria be World War III? Russia simply can't project enough power that far away. As for Iran, Obama's making concessions to Iran. That should make war less likely in the short run. In the long run Iran has the bomb (with or without concessions) and hopefully THAT makes war less likely as well.

It's nothing of the sort, though I do understand why your emotional compulsion to attack me overrides your reasoning abilities.
LOL Not my fault you say stupid stuff. When you make good points I agree with you; when you slyly blame this on America I agree with people who say you said something stupid. Simple, beautiful system. You simply aren't smart enough to get something that blatant by us. As an example, imagine if I pointed out what a useful coincidence this is for Obama with Obamacare failing and the economy faltering. Essentially I'd be blaming this on Obama without being so stupid as to directly do so - but I too would be fooling no one.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
How on Earth would Syria be World War III?
Syria is Russia's ally. America invading Syria or Iran would be equivalent to Russia invading Israel. Putin knows how dangerous Obama is, so he's taking a hard stance by setting up a buffer zone. When Ukraine voted against joining the EU, the western countries overthrew the government and put in their own puppet government. In response, Russia moved into Crimea to keep a buffer zone and protect the naval bases it has in Crimea. The NATO countries keep trying to expand to the east, so he's putting his foot down to stop it. If Obama wants a war, it will happen in the skies over Poland and Ukraine instead of Russia.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
LOL Not my fault you say stupid stuff.
Actually it is when you invent your usual straw men, blown from your rectum when you're incapable of understanding and addressing one's actual points. As in this case, for example, where my comment clearly, factually had zero to do with blaming "America" for anything. Waving your hands and bleating the same unsupported nonsense doesn't change this.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
3XQDjig.jpg

I say we sit this one out.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
eh, maybe Russia is just following the example of another country that invaded under "interesting" circumstances. Who knows?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Syria is Russia's ally. America invading Syria or Iran would be equivalent to Russia invading Israel. Putin knows how dangerous Obama is, so he's taking a hard stance by setting up a buffer zone. When Ukraine voted against joining the EU, the western countries overthrew the government and put in their own puppet government. In response, Russia moved into Crimea to keep a buffer zone and protect the naval bases it has in Crimea. The NATO countries keep trying to expand to the east, so he's putting his foot down to stop it. If Obama wants a war, it will happen in the skies over Poland and Ukraine instead of Russia.

The part I bolded is exactly the problem and it creates people like the OP who can't understand why we need to be at war with Russia this very instant.

What is it going to take, a war in the skies, or better yet, on land on the east and west coast of America for someone like the OP to realize the importance of all of our military interests? Will he realize then, oh we should have stopped Russia in Ukraine and not waited for them to capture the heartland of America?

As soon as I heard the news of Russians in Ukraine I was singing "Over there". USA vs Russia.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
eh, maybe Russia is just following the example of another country that invaded under "interesting" circumstances. Who knows?

I swear people are rooting on Putin continuing his invading for their own humor against Bush...

Is this situation a joke to you?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
But how can the war mongers justify a war that is not based on the insanity of the christian god vs. the god of a different religion.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The very nature of life on Earth is based on eating or getting eaten. This is not a pacifist planet.
For every species except man cause only man operates under the insane concept that my invisible sky daddy can beat up your invisible sky daddy.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But how can the war mongers justify a war that is not based on the insanity of the christian god vs. the god of a different religion.

For every species except man cause only man operates under the insane concept that my invisible sky daddy can beat up your invisible sky daddy.

You seem to be in the wrong place. The daycare is down the hall.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I swear people are rooting on Putin continuing his invading for their own humor against Bush...

Is this situation a joke to you?
I saw this in another thread, but it seemed apt here:
http://warontherocks.com/2014/03/lets-slow-roll-any-moves-toward-crimean-war-ii/

One of the more curious implicit assumptions about the crisis in Ukraine is that the subsequent occupation of the Crimea by Russia represents some kind of triumph for President Vladimir Putin and a defeat for the United States. It is a weird, strategic myopia that comes from an unrealistic belief that the United States should be expected to have a granular level of political control over and responsibility for events on the entire planet. We don’t and never can but this kind of political megalomania leads first to poor analysis and then worse policies.

Far from being entitled to do a victory lap, Putin’s mishandling of Ukraine has dealt Moscow a strategic defeat. With artful bullying and a $15 billion bribe, Putin had pulled off a diplomatic coup by getting President Victor Yanukovych to reverse Ukraine’s nearly finalized deal with the European Union and align itself vaguely with Russia and Putin’s shabby League of Eurasian Dictators. This would have been a tremendous strategic win for Russia to have Ukraine with its rich resources and key geographic location not only well-disposed to Moscow, but as a compliant satellite. Much like Belarus, Ukraine would have been isolated from the West and dependent upon Russia. ...

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
We didn't invade Iraq with the intent to annex it into the USA. That's the difference.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
War is good. We live in a world fun of hateful, destructive, corrupt people. Without war these people take over the world and shape to what benefits them. America is foolish to ever think otherwise. Our children will now pay for our pathetic politicians.

And with wars the winner gets the shape the world how they see fit too. Put yourself in the position of the losing side......

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
:sigh:

We're not talking about specific politicians here. You are blaming their politicians now? Well, I'm sure "they" will blame your politicians. Who's right then?

For us, the everyday people, it isn't in our interest to lose ourselves in war fever. This further lends credibility to our politicians. This is what they want. They want a fearful, dumb, gullible population. Unfortunately, that is what we have. We have seen it time after time. Some group or country attacks and everyone is swept into a wave of patriotism and off we go to war to kill countless people. The cycle never, ever ends.

I am going to make an assumption and say most people follow their "flag" and root for their country in times of crisis. I guess its an old tribal trait. We seek comfort in large numbers. Thus we strengthen the grip of politicians even further. Never ending cycle.
You are correct on all terms, unfortunately the majority of people here are sadist, and feel like they are experts on politics because they watch the news at 6.

Majority of people don't look at history, they don't read up behind the scenes, heck the majority of people don't know anything other than what the news told them.

Its sad because this is how the media controls the "dummies" they tell you what they want, and they know in the end 99% of the people will believe it instantly without questioning it. You got your patriots who agree with their country no matter what the situation entails. You got your left, and right wingers....a bunch of brain dead idiots who side themselves with certain political parties. And then you got the other people who don't want to accept the fact that there is more than meets the eye.

Oh well, people will still root for war, root for foreign policies that benefit one side, root for imperialism and believe anything they hear. Nothing new, even the educated people fall prey to this kind of stupidity.