Stock Market at it's highest level in over 6 years

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
ONLY A MORON WOULD POST THIS THREAD.
THINK.
TRYING TO MAKE A POINT BY SAYING THE STOCK MARKET IS ONLY APPROACHING WHAT IT WAS 6 YEARS AGO?
YOU ARE SAYING WE HAVE JUST HAD 6 YEARS OF TERRIBLE PERFORMANCE!
WE ARE ONLY BACK TO WHERE IT WAS 6 YEARS AGO!
TERRIBLE, AWFUL, CALAMATOUS, DISGRACEFUL, ETC ETC DESCRIBE THAT PERFORMANCE.
MAYBE IN A COUPLE OF MORE YEARS, SAY 2008, YOU WILL BRAG THAT THE STOCK MARKET IS ALMOST BACK TO ITS ALL TIME HIGH OF 1998.

THIS THREAD IS JUST TOO STUPID.

Actually we had two years of terrible performance followed by an incredible four year recovery run during which anyone who was smart could have cleaned up.

Sorry if that fact messes up your doom and gloom pity party.

Oh yeah... jobs growth has been in the positive range as well. (5 million jobs created since 2002 - Net 2+ million since Bush took office and growing) Ooops... there I did it again. Sorry.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: conjur
If I knew the exact date/time, I'd move mountains to let everyone know.
So in other words you are full of it.
Quite the opposite. I just had my evening constitution. :p

I called the dot-com bust. I was warning people back in '99 to get out while the getting was good. I've had more than a few people say they wished they'd listened to me.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
THINK.
TRYING TO MAKE A POINT BY SAYING THE STOCK MARKET IS ONLY APPROACHING WHAT IT WAS 6 YEARS AGO?
MAYBE IN A COUPLE OF MORE YEARS, SAY 2008, YOU WILL BRAG THAT THE STOCK MARKET IS ALMOST BACK TO ITS ALL TIME HIGH OF 1998.

Actually we had two years of terrible performance followed by an incredible four year recovery run during which anyone who was smart could have cleaned up.

Oh yeah... jobs growth has been in the positive range as well. (5 million jobs created since 2002 - Net 2+ million since Bush took office and growing) Ooops... there I did it again. Sorry.
Take out the defense sector and other public sector jobs and you're down to about 1/2 those jobs. This is the worst "recovery" in the last 100 years.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002

I called the dot-com bust. I was warning people back in '99 to get out while the getting was good. I've had more than a few people say they wished they'd listened to me.
And how about now? Are all your friends staying out of the market because good ol' conjur says so?

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
THINK.

Take out the defense sector and other public sector jobs and you're down to about 1/2 those jobs. This is the worst "recovery" in the last 100 years.
So you advocate firing the public sector employees! Good to hear :)

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Stunt
THINK.

Smaller, less intrusive government...FTW! :D

(and more tax cuts to ME to help drive the private sector to offset the public sector losses! ;) )

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I advocate a smaller government as everyone should. I also advocate killing the war machine.

The private sector is not producing jobs and growth like a recovery should. A large portion is coming from deficit spending (the Fed is going nuts on repos lately)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

And how about now? Are all your friends staying out of the market because good ol' conjur says so?
Some are no longer in the investment class. Some have moved to more stable (more liquid) investments.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Engineer
THINK.

Smaller, less intrusive government...FTW! :D

(and more tax cuts to ME to help drive the private sector to offset the public sector losses! ;) )

Amen to that. :beer:

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
THINK.

The irony is thick today.

I have to agree. Imagine trying to show the economy is doing well under Bush when it has finally, after 6 years, just broken even. The worst performance of any President, well, EVER ([even Hoover was gone shortly after the market crashed so Bushes performance is far worse than Hoovers).
A better title for this thread:

After 6 years of no growth we are finally back to where we started from under Bush.
Despite outrageous, non sustainable deficits.

The stock market crashed under Hoover, but it wasn't his fault

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: blackllotus
THINK.

The irony is thick today.

I have to agree. Imagine trying to show the economy is doing well under Bush when it has finally, after 6 years, just broken even. The worst performance of any President, well, EVER ([even Hoover was gone shortly after the market crashed so Bushes performance is far worse than Hoovers).
A better title for this thread:

After 6 years of no growth we are finally back to where we started from under Bush.
Despite outrageous, non sustainable deficits.

The stock market crashed under Hoover, but it wasn't his fault
By that reasoning it was no ONE persons fault.
But Hoover just sat there like log repeating his mantra, "It will all work out. There's nothing I can do". While people were starving to death and dairy farmers were pouring milk into sewers.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
THINK.

Using your same flawed rationale we can now say that Clinton had the greatest economy ever since we won't count the tech stock downswing.
The thread is trying to say its an accomplishment to show negative growth over 6 years.
Thats how STUPID this thread is.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: ntdz
Why don't you do some critical thinking and maybe you'll realize the economy is doing pretty good.

'Pretty good' is a pretty ambiguous term. It's not awful, certainly a depression would be considered awful, but it's not good. I would say it's just below ok. Just look at the US dollar vs the rest of the world now. When Clinton was in office, $1USD = $1.50CAD... now it's $1USD=$1.10CAD. And the numbers are similar around the world.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Yeah, the stock market up or down means so much to the majority of American's bottom lines. I know if you are like the vast majority of Americans, you are living off your dividend checks.

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Tango
http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/20/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

More bad news about the economy.

It's not the stock markets. It's the Dow index. Nasdaq and S&P 500 are still lagging behind their year 2000 spikes.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to see the Dow performing good... but I wouldn't call matching 6 years old levels a great performance. Historically it's very unlikely that stock prices don't appreciate over a 10 year period, even if the Nasdaq is unlikely to follow this trend. The internet bubble will take a lot of time to recover from, and some prices will probably never be observed again before a merger and following delisting.

Also, histotically, the US had 6-years business cicles. We had a very unusual 10 year cicle during the '90s and now many people are betting this one will last longer than usual. But if you believe in the value of historical trends in stock index forecasting we should quite soon face a recession. It is not a political thing, it's just the way the markets work. Nothing goes up forever, and something really appreciated too much during the late 90s. I know quite a lot of people still holding oracle shares bought at 46$. They are very unlikely to see those price any time soon.

Make some good points there; however the NASDAQ and S&P have hit 5 year highs recently as well. They are lagging but they have had significant moves as well. R2K is at an all time high as well.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
I wonder how many of these gloom and doom liberals put their money where their mouth is and sell short.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: zendari
I wonder how many of these gloom and doom liberals put their money where their mouth is and sell short.
I put my money where my mouth was. In late Jan we were nearly at this point, and I sold ~1/4th of my US stocks and bought Japan stocks. I'm up quite a bit more with that 1/4th than I'm up with the remaining 3/4ths. I'll move it back when the Dow is back in the mid 10000s (actually I move on the S&P, but usually they are similar).

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: jlmadyson
Originally posted by: Tango
http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/20/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

More bad news about the economy.

It's not the stock markets. It's the Dow index. Nasdaq and S&P 500 are still lagging behind their year 2000 spikes.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to see the Dow performing good... but I wouldn't call matching 6 years old levels a great performance. Historically it's very unlikely that stock prices don't appreciate over a 10 year period, even if the Nasdaq is unlikely to follow this trend. The internet bubble will take a lot of time to recover from, and some prices will probably never be observed again before a merger and following delisting.

Also, histotically, the US had 6-years business cicles. We had a very unusual 10 year cicle during the '90s and now many people are betting this one will last longer than usual. But if you believe in the value of historical trends in stock index forecasting we should quite soon face a recession. It is not a political thing, it's just the way the markets work. Nothing goes up forever, and something really appreciated too much during the late 90s. I know quite a lot of people still holding oracle shares bought at 46$. They are very unlikely to see those price any time soon.

Make some good points there; however the NASDAQ and S&P have hit 5 year highs recently as well. They are lagging but they have had significant moves as well. R2K is at an all time high as well.

Well, the difference between a 5 years high and a 6 years high is pretty substantial considering we are talking about the difference between year 2000 and 2001. Nasdaq was over 5000 and now is in the lower 2342. Lots of road to cover.

Personally I am out of US equity. It just doesn't make sense to me. Too many other options are going up 10 times faster with manageble (to me) risk, expecially if you consider the currency exchange movements and the fact that the dollar is very likely to depriciate. But I 100% understand we all are different. The financial markets are now 80% of what I do, trade on a daily basis and can diversify a lot. Some people just don't want to keep an eye on the markets every day. But in the beginning it was surprising to see how little diversification there usually is in american portfolios.
My advice for 2005 and 2006 was India, Japan, Latin-america, Commodities and Europe. If you really want to play the game big, Pakistan is the new name. The returns in these markets were tremendous. Granted, it's not always like that. In the last 2 years the markets were uncommonly easy to track and forecast. I still don't advise China. I was right on this one last year, and I have been wrong this year until now. I still don't see the right return/risk ratio. I pick India over China every day. I mainly do qualitative analysis on ETF and FX, that also is why I am not scared of emerging markets.

On the US markets I consider very likely a correction in June. But I am out of it, so I am not paying that much attention. My last stock was google and at some point I thought it was enough for me. Greed always work against you. Small investors are always putting money were a substantial appreciation has already happened. It's basically greed and lack of information. If you wait for the big Wall Street Journal headlines before doing a trade, most of its value is gone already. At some point you have to cash in, or at least put some moving stop-loss points. Russia for example has been white-hot for years, but right now I wouldn't advise it, as the risks are not offset by possible returns. Still an Hold, but not a Buy. Too much volatility based on the price of Oil and Gas. Right now I see a lot of money raining in energy ETF. Fine, maybe Oil is going to 80... but so what? you are looking into a 10%... is it worth it? sure looks good if you bought in 2002, but right now... risk/returns not worth it. Unless you do options and play in the short-term. In this case you basically can do money on anything.

I would go short on the Russel 2000. Increasing interest rates matter a lot in that market.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey ntzd, please stop posting these stock market threads. Every time you do, it drops like a rock! :p

(Down about 5% in the last week or so! :( )

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Hey ntzd, please stop posting these stock market threads. Every time you do, it drops like a rock! :p

There are too many of these threads. I'm still searching for a thread I posted in about 2 weeks ago where I claimed it'll peak near 11,500 (maybe a bit higher) and then plunge down to 11,000. Unfortunately, I can't find it. I like to take pride in rereading my old posts when I'm correct.

All markets down 1.3% from yesterday right now.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dullard

There are too many of these threads. I'm still searching for a thread I posted in about 2 weeks ago where I claimed it'll peak near 11,500 (maybe a bit higher) and then plunge down to 11,000. Unfortunately, I can't find it. I like to take pride in rereading my old posts when I'm correct.

All markets down 1.3% from yesterday right now.

All of this because inflation came in high (CPI of .6% with core of .3%. Both .1% higher than expected). Treasury bill activity also suggesting long term inflation.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
All of this because inflation came in high (CPI of .6% with core of .3%. Both .1% higher than expected). Treasury bill activity also suggesting long term inflation.
Inflation has been on a steady rise for ~4 years now. That shouldn't have been a surprize to anyone. But for some odd reason, people want to ignore the trends and pretend they'll just stop. We are approaching the stagflation cliff edge. Hopefully we won't reach that edge and fall into that pit. But we just keep marching closer and closer to it. I try to warn others. That is all I can do. Together, maybe we can make a difference and prevent that from happening. But I doubt it. Too many people here will keep proclaiming everything is great (until Bush is no longer president, then they'll make a 180° turn in their economy views).

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dullard
Too many people here will keep proclaiming everything is great (until Bush is no longer president, then they'll make a 180° turn in their economy views).

Could you explain any possible reason of way other than brainwashing???

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Could you explain any possible reason of way other than brainwashing???
Blindfolds. I suspect you will do the same thing, dmcowen674. I bet you'll say the economy is horrible until a Democrat is in office.