Steelworkers Feel Abandoned by Trump as Layoffs Loom at ArcelorMittal-owned Mill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The steel industry has been under increased market pressure for many years and with so many global companies competing for business domestic companies have struggled to remain viable. Also keep an eye on the domestic paper companies as China and South America continue increasing market pressure upon them.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't think we should celebrate people losing jobs, even the ones who voted for Trump assuming it'd help them keep their jobs. Just be angry that Trump lied about actual job creation as usual, and hope that Trump supporters who did lose their jobs learn their lesson and vote Democrat in 2018 and 2020.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Nonsense. They were going to lose their jobs either way. Wait, did you think no union jobs were lost before Trump? Eventually unions will cease to exist no matter who is president, and removing the union *overhead* cost still won't be enough because of cheaper foreign competition and computer automation displacing humans.

You are missing the entire point and trying to paint trump in a positive light at the same time.

Trump capitalized on the naivety of low intelligence people who believed he had a magic wand. He knew exactly what he was doing. They believed him. He did what he's been doing his whole life - scamming people to get what he wants.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I don't think we should celebrate people losing jobs, even the ones who voted for Trump assuming it'd help them keep their jobs. Just be angry that Trump lied about actual job creation as usual, and hope that Trump supporters who did lose their jobs learn their lesson and vote Democrat in 2018 and 2020.

We aren't. We are celebrating their win.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You are missing the entire point and trying to paint trump in a positive light at the same time.

Trump capitalized on the naivety of low intelligence people who believed he had a magic wand. He knew exactly what he was doing. They believed him. He did what he's been doing his whole life - scamming people to get what he wants.

He's the world's greatest bullshit artiste. When he saw what decades of relentless right wing propaganda had done to these people's minds he simply couldn't resist. It's the greatest scam of his life & he's had plenty of practice.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001

No I'm just acknowledging it for what it is. The US would never go for extreme enough measures to effectively offset competitors who work for peanuts or human labor replaced by robots. Trump would like to change that and I give him credit for that. It doesn't mean I believe he can but at least he acknowledges the problem.

Making campaign promises that aren't fulfilled? That's just par for the course, nobody would get elected if they told the straight, sober truth about the American Dream eroding away if all you've got is hard work when there's someone in China willing to work as hard for a fraction of the wages.

"They believed him". Sure. Obama didn't accomplish all of his goals either yet was believable enough to get elected. Twice. The same would have been true had Hillary been elected. That's what politicians do, tell everyone what they want to hear, knowing the whole time that it's impossible for everyone to get what they want.

Are you just now realizing that? Have you forgotten that Obama was doing a lot of things that people weren't happy about and that's a large part of the reason why Trump got elected despite acting like a **** and alienating a large % of the population? Trump is the opposite of Obama, the hope was someone would try to reverse the course the country set in the past 8 years, which to some is better than sailing on in the same direction.

What you're suggesting doesn't even make sense. Trump didn't need the money or fame, had the least to gain to scam people to get what he wants, has a lower standard of living as president than before. Well I take that back, he is an attention wh0re so that's a whole lot of attention driving his behavior.

Maybe if everyone stopped whining and giving him so much attention then he'd settle down and act like a president.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
So how do middle class people restore the share of the pie they once enjoyed?

We sure as Hell won't get it voting Republican because no amount of middle class tax cutting will restore the share of income lost to those at the tippy top. It can't.

The middle class isn’t being eroded because the rich are rich, it’s being eroded because labor across the globe is much cheaper and we're all too happy to ship those middle class jobs over there. Globalization is a double edged sword, we get lots of cheap tv's but we gutted the real economic engine of our country in return. What would Hillary do differently to stem that flow?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The middle class isn’t being eroded because the rich are rich, it’s being eroded because labor across the globe is much cheaper and we're all too happy to ship those middle class jobs over there. Globalization is a double edged sword, we get lots of cheap tv's but we gutted the real economic engine of our country in return. What would Hillary do differently to stem that flow?

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/12/hillary-clinton-working-class/509477/

https://www.thebalance.com/hillary-clinton-2016-economic-plan-3305767

http://time.com/money/4449015/hillary-clinton-economic-plan-middle-class-donald-trump/

I know her policies are hard to find because they lacked detail and she never wanted to talk about them, despite the media constantly asking for details. /bigfuckingeyeroll

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

It was unfair for Trump to make a promise he might not be able to fix like flipping a light switch, ...

What might make a greater dent is regulating emissions of freight ships docking at US ports. Shipping has gotten *too* cheap and is a huge source of pollution... but we all like our cheap chinese junk so we'll pay $15K more per electric automobile for a change that doesn't make much difference compared to the ships.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

Trump says climate change is a Chinese hoax, regulations are bad and the EPA should be destroyed.

So don't count on it.

Boo hoo. That's all Trump ever cries. So unfair, always treating Trump unfairly.

Too bad. He made the promise so dopes would vote for him. He owns it.

Tax cuts for billionaires won't do shit for it.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No I'm just acknowledging it for what it is. The US would never go for extreme enough measures to effectively offset competitors who work for peanuts or human labor replaced by robots. Trump would like to change that and I give him credit for that. It doesn't mean I believe he can but at least he acknowledges the problem.

Making campaign promises that aren't fulfilled? That's just par for the course, nobody would get elected if they told the straight, sober truth about the American Dream eroding away if all you've got is hard work when there's someone in China willing to work as hard for a fraction of the wages.

"They believed him". Sure. Obama didn't accomplish all of his goals either yet was believable enough to get elected. Twice. The same would have been true had Hillary been elected. That's what politicians do, tell everyone what they want to hear, knowing the whole time that it's impossible for everyone to get what they want.

Are you just now realizing that? Have you forgotten that Obama was doing a lot of things that people weren't happy about and that's a large part of the reason why Trump got elected despite acting like a **** and alienating a large % of the population? Trump is the opposite of Obama, the hope was someone would try to reverse the course the country set in the past 8 years, which to some is better than sailing on in the same direction.

What you're suggesting doesn't even make sense. Trump didn't need the money or fame, had the least to gain to scam people to get what he wants, has a lower standard of living as president than before. Well I take that back, he is an attention wh0re so that's a whole lot of attention driving his behavior.

Maybe if everyone stopped whining and giving him so much attention then he'd settle down and act like a president.
Liberal policies would actually reverse the course. The main reason Obama was unable to make more progress was because the GOP blocked most of that policy. They didn't even hide it. America's proposed solution? Give the GOP complete control. Fuck America. We deserve a depression that makes the 30s look like the 50s

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah right. Most of them would vote for a child molester before they vote for a Democrat.

Reactions: umbrella39

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I am cheering for people getting what they fucking deserve. Has nothing to do with partisanship. Has everything to do with not having a single shred of desire to try and save people from their stupid decisions anymore.
Perhaps you ought to switch to Trump who gives people what they deserves and delights in it as you do.

Reactions: Sunburn74

OatisCampbell

Jun 26, 2013
I have my doubts as to how much sitting presidents impact the economy as a whole.

Trump can cut taxes, but it doesn't guarantee reinvestment in one of the more expensive labor markets in the world.

Federal environmental regs can be relaxed, which might solve the healthcare issue by giving us all some nice toxic air and water and lower our average lifespan a decade.

War can be declared, and money borrowed for defense spending for a temporary infusion with a bill due for next president.

Just not a lot the Big Orange One can do that I can see. Presidents always take credit for the good and point blame for the bad, but I don't think the job has the power to do a lot in a global economy.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Now there's a true water carrier for ya^

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Trump buys Chinese steel for his buildings, and that was well known before the election. So you keep waiting, Trump Trash. Keep waiting. Maybe your jobs will come back after Reagan tax cuts trickle down.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Trump buys Chinese steel for his buildings, and that was well known before the election. So you keep waiting, Trump Trash. Keep waiting. Maybe your jobs will come back after Reagan tax cuts trickle down.
Plus he deliberately hires foreign workers to staff his businesses proving that he cares about himself first above all others.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

Are you kidding? We didn't pay attention to him at all before the presidency and he was up to his ass in reality TV show and radio shenanigans, defrauding poor people, business partners and investors, sexually abusing vulnerable people, lying on fox news and Twitter with birther slander and doing wrestling cameos with Vince McMahon

This is the guy that the Simpsons made a joke about the world being a crazy place if he were to ever be a president with that joke made in like 2000

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
The same thing happened here in aus with cheap Chinese metal slowly killing local steel makers but isn't that how the free market works?

If the Chinese are providing a similar product for half the price and US steel makers cannot compete then they should offshore production or find something else to do.

The idea of tariffs on imported steel seems to go against the very ethos of capitalism and the free market. In my opinion it's preferable that the market operate unimpeded.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
The same thing happened here in aus with cheap Chinese metal slowly killing local steel makers but isn't that how the free market works?

If the Chinese are providing a similar product for half the price and US steel makers cannot compete then they should offshore production or find something else to do.

The idea of tariffs on imported steel seems to go against the very ethos of capitalism and the free market. In my opinion it's preferable that the market operate unimpeded.

you realize that by allowing unimpeded markets, the chinese could simply dump steel worldwide, destroy local producers, and then raise the prices?

see US rare earth metals.

not all regulation is bad.