Steelworkers Feel Abandoned by Trump as Layoffs Loom at ArcelorMittal-owned Mill

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
It voted for layoffs? Take a step back and look in the mirror man, you are chearing over people losing their jobs just due to partisanship and bitterness. That’s a sad place to be.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It voted for layoffs? Take a step back and look in the mirror man, you are chearing over people losing their jobs just due to partisanship and bitterness. That’s a sad place to be.
I am cheering for people getting what they fucking deserve. Has nothing to do with partisanship. Has everything to do with not having a single shred of desire to try and save people from their stupid decisions anymore.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You mean populist rhetoric is just that, populist rhetoric? Color me surprised.

Reminds me of T-Rump and his pumping of Ford to bring back jobs. Now, Ford is shifting not only the Focus but the Fusion to China for US import. Before anyone says that the Fusion is made in Mexico, there are lots of factories in the US that provide parts for cars like that made in Mexico.

I'll reverse my opinion when I see a boom of these jobs coming back....starting with Mar-a-Lago hiring US workers instead of getting Visas for servants and maids.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I am cheering for people getting what they fucking deserve. Has nothing to do with partisanship. Has everything to do with not having a single shred of desire to try and save people from their stupid decisions anymore.
American steel was in worse trouble before Trump took office. There's just this short term import surge from those importers trying to get in under the wire.

It was unfair for Trump to make a promise he might not be able to fix like flipping a light switch, but this was also their unrealistic expectation. Trump has done what he reasonably (depending on who you ask) could, it wasn't a stupid decision at all for steel workers to vote for him If That's All They Cared About.

What might make a greater dent is regulating emissions of freight ships docking at US ports. Shipping has gotten *too* cheap and is a huge source of pollution... but we all like our cheap chinese junk so we'll pay $15K more per electric automobile for a change that doesn't make much difference compared to the ships.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenixgoon

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Because America voted for this.

Not really. Trump is President by dint of an anomalous result of the Electoral College. Please recognize that. I's a cosmic clusterfuck of a perfect storm.

Part of that is that there are a lot of people who need to learn things about Trump & the GOP, things that challenge some of their core beliefs. It's enormously unfortunate that they'll only learn the hard way.

DJT is just the lying scumbag to teach them what most of us knew all along. It's not like he & Congress can be stopped atm.

Reactions: Sunburn74

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I seem to vividly recall trump saying that fixing all these problems (and more) would be fast and easy, in fact in those very words. Do we need to roll tape?
I wrote nothing that contradicts that, quite the opposite I wrote "unfair for Trump to make a promise".

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Any union member who loses his/her job after voting for Trump has only themselves to blame. Eliminating unions is at the heart of the Republican agenda.
Nonsense. They were going to lose their jobs either way. Wait, did you think no union jobs were lost before Trump? Eventually unions will cease to exist no matter who is president, and removing the union *overhead* cost still won't be enough because of cheaper foreign competition and computer automation displacing humans.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
American steel was in worse trouble before Trump took office. There's just this short term import surge from those importers trying to get in under the wire.

It was unfair for Trump to make a promise he might not be able to fix like flipping a light switch, but this was also their unrealistic expectation. Trump has done what he reasonably (depending on who you ask) could, it wasn't a stupid decision at all for steel workers to vote for him If That's All They Cared About.

What might make a greater dent is regulating emissions of freight ships docking at US ports. Shipping has gotten *too* cheap and is a huge source of pollution... but we all like our cheap chinese junk so we'll pay $15K more per electric automobile for a change that doesn't make much difference compared to the ships.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html
I'm not saying these layoffs are Trump's fault. I'm just saying fuck these people for believing Trump and the GOP could do anything to help them when the GOP doesn't even try to hide the fact that they are only interested in raping the country.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I heard coal mining is booming. They should find there

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article182371386.html

Yep.

Edit: This gem....

There were 6,438 people employed in Kentucky’s coal industry between July 1 and Sept. 30, according to a report issued Thursday by the state Energy and Environment Cabinet.

Out of a state of 4 million.......promising a boom of coal jobs coming back won't do much but you can't tell that to people hearing what they want to hear.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I think he's just happy for the people that pretty much got what they wanted: Trump and everything that Trump was obviously bringing with him. If you were paying attention, you knew that Trump was going to be making things worse for these people, and they voted for it.

So, it's only reasonable to be happy for them for getting what they wanted. And then, you know, maybe they'll actually learn for once that billionaire assclown that has made his life lying to and stealing from people like them was never anyone that they could trust? Who knows.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Nonsense. They were going to lose their jobs either way. Wait, did you think no union jobs were lost before Trump? Eventually unions will cease to exist no matter who is president, and removing the union *overhead* cost still won't be enough because of cheaper foreign competition and computer automation displacing humans.

So how do middle class people restore the share of the pie they once enjoyed?

We sure as Hell won't get it voting Republican because no amount of middle class tax cutting will restore the share of income lost to those at the tippy top. It can't.

Feb 16, 2005

"unfair"
How about blatant lie? Fuck trump, fuck his supporters. I'm sorry for those who live in a state who backed the tangerine Caligula but voted for Hillary. She ran a piss poor campaign, but still no excuse to vote for drumpf. Jesus christ, he's a fucking cheap con man. That's all he's ever been. Fuck the people too stupid to see that.