Steam's offline mode still requires you to be online ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
Did you use CCleaner or something like that? if I clean up cache and C Drive etc I lose the Steam authentication to make offline mode work

Here we go again...

Was playing a game in offline mode, when done, exited out of steam.
Shutdown computer.
Next day, tried to run the game again, and I see:
k14et.jpg

:rolleyes:

Steam's offline mode is sure buggy.
Sure, this time I happen to have net access, and I could fix it... and mind you, when I did go online, I didn't have to enter anything, it knew who I was.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Did you use CCleaner or something like that? if I clean up cache and C Drive etc I lose the Steam authentication to make offline mode work

Nope, nothing.
It was late, and I was about to hit the sack, so I shut everything down normally.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Nope, nothing.
It was late, and I was about to hit the sack, so I shut everything down normally.

What about multiple computers signing into Steam? I normally keep my main desktop online, with my ultrabook in offline mode. If I bring the ultrabook online, then the desktop drops from Steam and dumps the user credentials.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
How about we just accept that STEAM's offline mode has always sucked and has been setup wrong from the start. It should always authenticate for offline mode when it's online instead of the method it does now where someone doesn't know to do that until they're offline and it's too late.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
What about multiple computers signing into Steam? I normally keep my main desktop online, with my ultrabook in offline mode. If I bring the ultrabook online, then the desktop drops from Steam and dumps the user credentials.

Nope.
Once you are in offline mode, then there should never be a reason to need to authenticate again (well, I suppose unless you change motherboard).

The issue here is, it "forgot" the credentials for offline mode, but yet, since I didn't have to enter anything to get online again, those credentials were still valid.
If this was a one time thing, I wouldn't mind as much, but it isn't, it happens multiple times a month for no valid reason.
No hardware changes.
No software changes.
Nothing special going on, just start steam, play the game, and exit out, and shut down the system.

It just seems like this is a false message, since it is requiring you to 'phone home' after X game runs (no matter the game), and it just happens to update the client when I hit online again.

This should not happen, offline mode should never need to phone home, except for motherboard changes.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I *think* though I'm not sure that if Steam has connected online in an month it needs to re validate credentials.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
It wasn't actually broken in your case either. You just didn't set up Offline mode prior to your Internet provider taking a dump. Same issue that everyone complains about in Offline Mode here every couple months, and its almost always the same thing.

Wait, so you have to specifically set it up for offline mode whilst online? Rather than it doing it automatically?

That really is broken.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
I'm still surprised at all the people with problems with this. I didn't do anything special and I've had to use it several times with no issues. Just last week my internet went down and I wanted on something, and when steam booted it said it couldn't connect to the network and asked if I wanted to boot in offline mode. I did and it worked fine.

Not saying they don't have problems, but it just seems odd that I've had none of the issues others have complained of. It's worked as well as I could expect when I needed it.

I have never had an issue with Offline mode and every time my internet was down before i went Offline mode.

Some people have put issues down to the firewall and some AV software that they are using.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Curious, I made a ticket for this issue, and have not heard one peep from Valve.

Is this normal to get no response except for the auto-response, for 2+ weeks ?

Heck, even Origin would get back to you within a few days, if not the same day.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Curious, I made a ticket for this issue, and have not heard one peep from Valve.

They just responded, and after all this time, they just say to reinstall steam. Delete all your files in the steam directory, except for the games. :rolleyes:

Funny how they have a 'verify' button for games, but they don't have one for steam itself.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007

Steam has always had horrific customer support. I don't know of any service with worse customer support than Steam. Luckily, the service itself is pretty reliable, so I don't need to use their awful customer support very often.

Capt_Winky

Apr 8, 2013
You are absolutely correct: Steam's offline mode will shut off and require you to go online again to select offline mode. The timer has been installed on your computer and the validation/authorization info is ignored or erased when the timer triggers. Every "fix" I've tried fails to solve this.
So many posts here claim that YOU are doing something wrong (like not exiting Steam before shutting down, etc.). These people are not completely disconnected from the internet, though I'm sure they have good intentions.
To experience this flaw, one must be completely disconnected from the internet (including wireless) until the timer triggers (15-30 days...or number of times game is booted).
Steam will also disable EVERY Steam game on your computer...try running the more recent Total War series, for instance.
It's for marketing purposes...they want to stay up-to-date on what your interests are (intrusive much?).
I was on the phone with Bethesda this morning...there IS a timer. Nothing you can do. And contacting Steam with hopes of talking to a human is futile. Try a nicely-worded letter to Valve's CEO (Gabe Newell, P.O. Box 1688, Bellevue, WA 98009). :)

Personally, I won't buy another Steam associated game until they allow a single-player game to be played offline (and not periodically disabled). I won't pirate a game because I don't approve of it, but I CAN refuse to buy the game.

PS: I also noticed that the game's package says if you disagree with their "Agreement" return the game unopened for a refund...but you have to open the game to read the Agreement. lol

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Plus the annoying pop up telling you are Offline everytime you launch steam. Sucks for those who just want to use Steam's Bigscreen mode as a launcher for other apps and games not purchased from Steam store on a Pc that doesn't need to be online.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Personally, I won't buy another Steam associated game until they allow a single-player game to be played offline (and not periodically disabled). I won't pirate a game because I don't approve of it, but I CAN refuse to buy the game.

Good luck with that. Boycotting Steam leaves you with EA's Origin, UbiSoft's uPlay, CDP's GoG, and Beamdog. Of those, only GoG is worth mentioning, but its older games. Beamdog is ok, but there's only BG:EE. Origin and uPlay are far worse than Steam has ever been.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Steam makes up for it with awesome sales. Use its service so that it's convenient to you.

If offline play is important to you, then you either buy DRM free games or go without playing games.

Capt_Winky

Apr 8, 2013
Good luck with that. Boycotting Steam leaves you with EA's Origin, UbiSoft's uPlay, CDP's GoG, and Beamdog. Of those, only GoG is worth mentioning, but its older games. Beamdog is ok, but there's only BG:EE. Origin and uPlay are far worse than Steam has ever been.

Yeah, I know...it'll hurt. :eek: I just have this thing about being controlled and/or dependent on the internet or a company like Steam.
Steam could easily just make Online shopping/downloading optional on a SINGLE PLAYER game...I would respect the process more (and probably invest in some of the add-ons they offer). But to disable a single player game, as well as other games on my computer, just to force me to "check in" with them and get their approval....well, I'll read a book or go to a movie instead. Life CAN go on without the game.

If they make their terms clearly understood on the box, people can make their choice without being stuck with a $40 useless product (can't return an opened game).

It seems the honest gamers are always punished for the acts of dishonest gamers. Reward the honest...convert the dishonest.
Including a nice booklet/map/etc. with the game (or a code on the receipt that gets you a bonus download), rather than vacant/useless little brochures and more dependency on the internet for common user manual information, might lure some away from pirating.

Anyway...to all Skyrim/Total War players: Have fun (sincerely)! :)

Aug 11, 2008
Yeah, I know...it'll hurt. :eek: I just have this thing about being controlled and/or dependent on the internet or a company like Steam.
Steam could easily just make Online shopping/downloading optional on a SINGLE PLAYER game...I would respect the process more (and probably invest in some of the add-ons they offer). But to disable a single player game, as well as other games on my computer, just to force me to "check in" with them and get their approval....well, I'll read a book or go to a movie instead. Life CAN go on without the game.

If they make their terms clearly understood on the box, people can make their choice without being stuck with a $40 useless product (can't return an opened game).

It seems the honest gamers are always punished for the acts of dishonest gamers. Reward the honest...convert the dishonest.
Including a nice booklet/map/etc. with the game (or a code on the receipt that gets you a bonus download), rather than vacant/useless little brochures and more dependency on the internet for common user manual information, might lure some away from pirating.

Anyway...to all Skyrim/Total War players: Have fun (sincerely)! :)

I agree it makes no sense to have to be online to go into offline mode. That said, it is probably the least of all evils for new games. I basically play off-line and play for weeks or months and never have to go online. I am connected to the internet though. I suppose it would be more annoying if you played on line a lot, because you would have to go into off line mode again every time you go on line. Believe me though, it is a lot less annoying than something like Blizzard which requires on line all the time, and even downloads data basically every time you log on.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
look at this way.. if you use one of the "other" STEAM wanna be's there is NO OFFLINE MODE of any kind. ONLINE only is the way the game companies want it.. and the stupid masses keep buying those games, so they keep doing it.. If everybody just didn't buy say SIM CITY (insert game of your choice here).. and left messages saying they would with an offline mode added.. Problem would be solved.. but we all cry" wont buy that crap" in the forums and go home and buy it.. we are the only ones to blame.. we buy it, they will keep turning the screws.. soon you will have to verify a CC each time you play.. "gotta make sure they are really the person who bought it"? and the sheep will keep buying and braying.. "why?"

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
look at this way.. if you use one of the "other" STEAM wanna be's there is NO OFFLINE MODE of any kind. ONLINE only is the way the game companies want it.. and the stupid masses keep buying those games, so they keep doing it.. If everybody just didn't buy say SIM CITY (insert game of your choice here).. and left messages saying they would with an offline mode added.. Problem would be solved.. but we all cry" wont buy that crap" in the forums and go home and buy it.. we are the only ones to blame.. we buy it, they will keep turning the screws.. soon you will have to verify a CC each time you play.. "gotta make sure they are really the person who bought it"? and the sheep will keep buying and braying.. "why?"

I don't know about that. The only other digital distribution systems I have used were Amazon, GoG, Impulse, and Stardock Central. None of these required you be online to play any of their games. They only downloaded and updated games, and in the case of Impulse and Stardock Central, they would archive old versions in case you wanted to roll back to an older patch. Which digital download services other than Steam require you to always be online to play games?

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I don't know about that. The only other digital distribution systems I have used were Amazon, GoG, Impulse, and Stardock Central. None of these required you be online to play any of their games. They only downloaded and updated games, and in the case of Impulse and Stardock Central, they would archive old versions in case you wanted to roll back to an older patch. Which digital download services other than Steam require you to always be online to play games?

none of those are front ends, they are stores.. we are really talking about STEAM and Origin (or maybe I just thought we where). I agree 100% there are non front end ways to buy software that eliminate the front ends so the on/off issue is moot except for the game requirements. Most the ones you mention are excellent alternatives... but the sad reality is, AAA titles seem to require one of the two I mentioned above. In my mind 1 is considerably better then the other, even if its better its still damn annoying..

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I would think every time you login to Steam it would simply perform a background authentication and 'refresh' your offline timer; seems like a better idea to me at any rate.

I've never had much luck with Steam's offline mode either.

And personally I'm pretty sure the one time I ever tried Origin's offline mode, it let me in right off the bat. I think I played Amalur or ME3 without issue, fortunately my ISP has had pretty decent uptime; our power goes out more than our internet lol.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Sad part is, that their "tech support" will NOT admit that they have a timer that forces you to go online again.

It is pretty obvious this is what is going on.

This means, if you install some steam game on a laptop, set steam to offline mode, and don't use steam on that laptop for awhile, you take a trip, open some steam game up and... you are greeted with a bogus message saying that it doesn't remember your credentials, and you must go online.

Aug 11, 2008
Sad part is, that their "tech support" will NOT admit that they have a timer that forces you to go online again.

It is pretty obvious this is what is going on.

This means, if you install some steam game on a laptop, set steam to offline mode, and don't use steam on that laptop for awhile, you take a trip, open some steam game up and... you are greeted with a bogus message saying that it doesn't remember your credentials, and you must go online.

You may be right, but this does not seem to be my experience. I play off line almost exclusively, and cant remember ever having that "cant recognize my credentials" pop up unless I reformat or something like that.

As an aside, based on only one experience, Steam customer support is awful. I waited 3 days for an answer, and when it finally came, it was just a canned response which did not address my problem at all, and indicated they either did not understand my problem, or did not care enough to track down someone who actually knew the answer.