Steam UI responsiveness

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
The steam shop "tab" lags for me fairly often, most particularly when switching to it from another tab, but the rest of it seems fine.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is it really that big of a deal? Also, that Origin page has nowhere near the amount of information as the Steam page.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Yea, it takes a hefty comp to run steam windows responsively, such a joke.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Is it really that big of a deal? Also, that Origin page has nowhere near the amount of information as the Steam page.

This. Origin has but a small fraction of what Steam has. Steam has more Items, more Options, more Features, more of everything.

hapylol

Apr 27, 2012
Steam is also very user friendly and has millions of users online at anytime. We should be thankful some of us don't deal with Origin:)

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
It does feel laggy. It's like a clunky web browser. Origin is ok but it doesn't load as much so it's not really a fair comparison. The GameFly client does and it's probably just as laggy as Steam. GFWL is pretty slow too.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
I agree. I've always disliked the Steam interface, including the color palette. It jars too much with the rest of Windows.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
In my experience, the issue isn't with Steam's GUI but rather the HTML portion of it. I don't know what's up with their HTTP servers, but they are slow. Using Steam Mobile is nearly worthless as it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute to load a page. This is on 2-3 bars of HSPA+ (AT&T's "4G").

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
It's terrible, always has been. Every time there is a steam update I secretly cross my fingers and hope the update helps, and it never does.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
It's terrible, always has been. Every time there is a steam update I secretly cross my fingers and hope the update helps, and it never does.

This. I love steam to death but only use the client to launch my games, everything else I do through another web browser.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
It's like a clunky web browser.

Given the steam store is a web page, it is no suprise. Valve just have too much crap on the store page with it all being on one page. Most of the things on it are pointless to the average visitor. I do not know how many people go through it all each time they visit it.

Personally, leaving steam at the default setting of loading the store on start is good for marketing their products, but sucks due to the load on their servers effecting all users. Personally I change the setting to start steam in the small games list interface and I have not had any issues with steam's startup anymore (besides the long log in times.....

Settings->Interface->Favorite window = Library

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have a quad core and GTX460. If its slowing my system I cant see it.
Of course, you shouldnt need all that power just to run a cute little program.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Given the steam store is a web page, it is no suprise. Valve just have too much crap on the store page with it all being on one page. Most of the things on it are pointless to the average visitor. I do not know how many people go through it all each time they visit it.

Personally, leaving steam at the default setting of loading the store on start is good for marketing their products, but sucks due to the load on their servers effecting all users. Personally I change the setting to start steam in the small games list interface and I have not had any issues with steam's startup anymore (besides the long log in times.....

Settings->Interface->Favorite window = Library

I definitely agree with you. What I should have said is it's a web browser but it doesn't seem coded very well. You can fetch a product page faster using a regular web browser than you can with the steam client. Same goes for your inventory. Maybe it's because you can overlay it on your games. So it's coded differently than a regular web browser.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Origin implemented smooth scrolling on their client while steam has not. It's that simple really.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
The sluggishness doesn't bother me.

Just give me a method of mass verifying game files, mass turn on automatic updates, download scheduler and bandwidth capper and I'll be overjoyed.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
This has been an issue since it was released years ago. Steam is not known for its quality control which is interesting since Valve games are. The store has been buggy for me since the beginning on 5 different computers and countless reinstalls.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This has been an issue since it was released years ago. Steam is not known for its quality control which is interesting since Valve games are. The store has been buggy for me since the beginning on 5 different computers and countless reinstalls.

My biggest complaint isnt even its technical capabilities, its how they choose to run the shop.
I cried for years that games with 3rd party DRM werent properly labeled. They FINALLY started doing it after I pissed away about a hundred bucks on unplayable titles.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Yeah I find it lags too but doesn't bother me. Pros outweigh the cons. Love the ability to backup and restore games easily.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i've noticed that if there is an item downloading and it is downloading at the bottom of the screen, you can't click on it to go to the downloads page any more. you have to click on library, then select downloads...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
i've noticed that if there is an item downloading and it is downloading at the bottom of the screen, you can't click on it to go to the downloads page any more. you have to click on library, then select downloads...

I have not noticed this. In fact, just last night I clicked on the Downloading notification and got the Downloads tab. You have to click on the "Items" part.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I've never noticed any lag with Steam, except during the holiday sale when the store pages would sometimes take a while to load.

As for the video, I didn't notice any slowdown... not quite sure what you are talking about. Go to any page with alot of images on it, like a Google image search, and you'll get the same results; or at least results so similar that imo it isn't worth it to actually see which is faster.