Steam Summer Sale 2015 Official Whatcha Gonna Buy Thread

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Well MS Flight Simulator is now priced at $7 with one dlc and $8 with two dlcs. I requested a refund on the $5 flight sim only deal but I will lose 3 deals on Deus Ex games because I bought them at the same time and apparently they can't split up refunds because I payed with paypal. I went ahead and grabbed the $8 deal while I'm waiting on the refund reply. I kinda have a feeling I opened up a can of worms.

Weird that the DLC wasn't part of the offer when the game was on daily deal...

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I don't get the flight simulators outside of airplane enthusiasts. They seem to be really boring. Now if the world map was fully 3d with some adequate detail, some options to do dogfights in fighter jets, maybe even RC plane simulations all online too then I could see the entertainment.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I don't get the flight simulators outside of airplane enthusiasts. They seem to be really boring. Now if the world map was fully 3d with some adequate detail, some options to do dogfights in fighter jets, maybe even RC plane simulations all online too then I could see the entertainment.

I grabbed it because it has pretty cool renderings of the entire world, including hundreds of airports and lots of world monuments (Pyramids, Eiffel Tower, etc). I want to play it on the big screen or immersed in 5760x1200 to show my son the world...for $5, that's a steal.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Thinking about the 'grey goo' RTS.

Also looking at the Stanley parable, steam suggested other games and I found some I hadn't heard of that sound interesting, like '140' for $2.

So many I'm not getting and I spent a fortune.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I grabbed it because it has pretty cool renderings of the entire world, including hundreds of airports and lots of world monuments (Pyramids, Eiffel Tower, etc). I want to play it on the big screen or immersed in 5760x1200 to show my son the world...for $5, that's a steal.

www.mapcrunch.com is a better way to do that and it's free.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Are there any fun games like Neighbors from hell?

I know, I have it and likely that was the original reason that I purchased it. However what 3D cities it did have, wasn't quite what I had hoped.
Also you can play a flight simulator in Google maps. It's very similar but you get the much better mappings that Google earth provides

*edit: here is another flight sim that uses google maps. http://www.gefs-online.com

Last edited:

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
god help me i bought COD Black Ops and COD World At War at their phony sale prices

activision's pricing leaves much to be desired here

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Wickland looks like a good deal at .99 cents but is anyone online playing it? If not then it's pointless. The official web site on google search says it may be hacked. lol

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Weird that the DLC wasn't part of the offer when the game was on daily deal...
It actually was showing the lower price for part of that day. I saw it at the lower price early in the day and when I went back to get it that evening it was showing the higher price. I'm not sure if it was a price mistake or not but I jumped on the deal today. I may end up losing $5 though if they don't refund my money.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Add 15 more games to the "May start but will almost certainly never finish pile." Sigh, are there any legit Steam Sale support groups?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Do I need the DLC to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning to enojoy it/get full value?

They are new quests and I think one of them opens a new zone. I don't think they change the character building aspect at all (no new level cap, skills or loot afaik).

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Add 15 more games to the "May start but will almost certainly never finish pile." Sigh, are there any legit Steam Sale support groups?

I base a game's value on how much time I spent playing. If I get 2 or more hours for a $5 game, regardless of whether I finish it or not, it was worth it. For $60 I better get at least 20 hrs and I'll be happy.
I don't beat most of the games I buy.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
$400+.

$400+. What the hell.

What did you get for $400+ if I may ask?

I was looking for value during this sale and I'm big on RTS so I bought HW Remastered, Company of Heroes and Rome Total War all for less than $20. Funny, CoH and RTW are older games and some of the most highly RTSs ever ... but I've never tried them. For less than $3 each I figured I could no longer afford not to.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
How are the Metal Gear Solid games? 5 is only 4.99...

It's worth that though I find the story a bit funky...as I do previous ones. If you like stealth/action type games and MGS series is never short on easter eggs. It only took me a couple of hours to beat though, there isn't a lot to it and I complained earlier about it but still it's only $5.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I base a game's value on how much time I spent playing. If I get 2 or more hours for a $5 game, regardless of whether I finish it or not, it was worth it. For $60 I better get at least 20 hrs and I'll be happy.
I don't beat most of the games I buy.

Same here, the problem is with the ones I never even start once.

I have about 100 games I have never played. And looking through that list I always find something I never knew I had. Stuff like Mirrors Edge, Dirt 3, Medal of Honor (2010 version), Post Master (WTF is Post Master?), Burnout: Paradise. I never would have bought half of those.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
My #1 target for next sale is Endless Legend under $15. No time to play now or I'd grab for $17.50.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
They are new quests and I think one of them opens a new zone. I don't think they change the character building aspect at all (no new level cap, skills or loot afaik).

Thanks. I guess I should just pony up the other $10 since there won't be anything else coming out for it anyway. I heard the DLC added new equipment and weapons too.

No, the base game is enormous if you do everything.

Yeah that's what I heard, I just don't want to sink a ton of time in it and then have to redo parts because of the expansions.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
What did you get for $400+ if I may ask?

I was looking for value during this sale and I'm big on RTS so I bought HW Remastered, Company of Heroes and Rome Total War all for less than $20. Funny, CoH and RTW are older games and some of the most highly RTSs ever ... but I've never tried them. For less than $3 each I figured I could no longer afford not to.

Sure if I knew how to get a nice list of recent buys.