Steam has been...

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
A complete pile of garbage for me for the last 4 months. Anyone else have problems where Steam will not let you connect unless you delete the entire steam folder and reinstall (keeping steamapps folder untouched.)

Any time I want to start steam I have to do this lately.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Haven't had this problem. Might wanna do a Scandisk or something, might be a hardware issue.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
No, but the store has been quite slow.

Have you opted in to their beta program? I can't remember exactly how to get there, but the last time I had problems with steam I changed the main app to be OUT of the beta program. I enabled it when they were trialing the big picture mode, but eventually it caused problems for me. Making sure I was only running stable releases fixed it all.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
not really. I've even used it at the airport off a tethered phone (tee hee) and it's been fine for me.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Anyone else have problems where Steam will not let you connect unless you delete the entire steam folder and reinstall (keeping steamapps folder untouched.)

Any time I want to start steam I have to do this lately.

I'm not having connection problems.
I'm having "installing new program" problems that cause me to have to " delete the entire steam folder and reinstall (keeping steamapps folder untouched.) "

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
At least you don't have to delete steamapps. Anything happens to Origin you gotta reinstall every game you own. The game folders become dead weights with useless executables.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
No problems here with Steam, but the store/community was kind of slow for the last couple of months. The last week or two everything has been loading fast for me.

I'm opted in to the beta updates so I don't know what effect that has on anything.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I had an issue where portal 2 wouldn't let me into the community test chambers, but that was fixed by doing a cache integrity check on the game files, then it fixed itself.

Other than that it's been fine for me.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
No, but the store has been quite slow.

Have you opted in to their beta program? I can't remember exactly how to get there, but the last time I had problems with steam I changed the main app to be OUT of the beta program. I enabled it when they were trialing the big picture mode, but eventually it caused problems for me. Making sure I was only running stable releases fixed it all.

Found it, from the steam program at the top go to Steam > Settings. In the Account tab near the middle there's a button to change beta participation. If you are currently in the beta program change that to "NONE"

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've not had a problem with Steam, Origin, Uplay, Windows 7 in a very long time. Only issue lately has been AMD video drivers, but that went away after an update.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Once again I can't login on steam with my gaming PC. Have to delete my folder and reinstall when I feel like loading it up again....

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I hate everything about Origin, from the interface color to the lack of very many options. Steam I can put on another drive, reformat my C drive and it will still work. Origin won't nor will it's games, forcing complete reinstall of them too.

Coach_Flatus

May 5, 2013
I'll use this thread to ask this. Hope that's alright.
Why does steam from time to time requires to connect back to internet even in offline mode with message "Cannot read profile info..." (or something like that)?

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Been using steam for what seems like forever now. Never once had a problem with a game that was related to the steam service. Definitely not experiencing the issues you are now.