Discussion Steam Deck

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Is anyone going to pull the trigger and buy a Steam Deck? I'm actually on the verge of buying either the $529 or the $649 version.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i honestly think you should get one and consider reselling it. :p
i bet you its going to be sold out... be a fad for abit, and then like most other steam products just disappear as if GLADoS threw a portal under it which leads to limbo.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Is anyone going to pull the trigger and buy a Steam Deck? I'm actually on the verge of buying either the $529 or the $649 version.

Pre ordered both. $5 for a spot in line. I'll have months to consider reviews and decide if/which to really purcahse.

If you are really going to get it, I can almost guarantee you'll want more space.

But... I still did both versions ;)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I did, mostly because I want to support Steam's efforts to get PC games working properly on Linux. If they sell millions of these things (and it seems like the pre-orders are going well so far), it's basically going to force game developers to make their games multiplatform or at least make them run right in emulation.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I did, mostly because I want to support Steam's efforts to get PC games working properly on Linux. If they sell millions of these things (and it seems like the pre-orders are going well so far), it's basically going to force game developers to make their games multiplatform or at least make them run right in emulation.

Yea. I still think it's going to be wild to play games like Dying Light on a hand held. I have 2 questions:

1) How do you think playing stategy games like Age of Empires will fare on Steam Deck? Will it actually be possible? I know that we can hook up keyboard and mouse, but what about using the track pads?
2) Will the Steam Deck support mods?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yea. I still think it's going to be wild to play games like Dying Light on a hand held. I have 2 questions:

1) How do you think playing stategy games like Age of Empires will fare on Steam Deck? Will it actually be possible? I know that we can hook up keyboard and mouse, but what about using the track pads?

1. I've seen some promo videos showing people playing what looks like a "builder game". If you're curious, what I'd do is take a look to see if there's a profile available for the Steam Controller for a specific game. Chances are that if there's one of that and it's rated well, then it'll likely do well on the Steam Deck.
2. Yes.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I ordered the $649 version, even though I agree with aigomorla's stance on Valve. Hopefully Valve does this right.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

I play point and click games on my steam controller. Like with FPS, its not quite as good as a mouse but its a lot better than a controller. Darkest Dungeon for example has full controller support and I just turn most of it off and use the controller as a handheld mouse.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Since it runs Linux I could install Pine on it for my email. Or Alpine or whaever the *nix fellows use now-a-days.

Serious though, I do think I want one, with the dock and a monitor it looks to be a pretty decent system.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

I 'bought' the $649 version. In my fantasy mind I'm hoping I'll be able to play Civilization on it, but I know in reality late game AI is going to fry this handheld.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I 'bought' the $649 version. In my fantasy mind I'm hoping I'll be able to play Civilization on it, but I know in reality late game AI is going to fry this handheld.
I sure hope that you are wrong. Civ 6 would be my primary game on this thing.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I sure hope that you are wrong. Civ 6 would be my primary game on this thing.

Given Civ 6 is also a Switch title and that port is "basically the same" based on some quick googling, and the Steamdeck CPU is massively more powerful than that ancient down clocked arm core, the Steamdeck would still be the best mobile platform to play it on.

Reactions: Muadib
Feb 4, 2009
Given Civ 6 is also a Switch title and that port is "basically the same" based on some quick googling, and the Steamdeck CPU is massively more powerful than that ancient down clocked arm core, the Steamdeck would still be the best mobile platform to play it on.

The CPU & Memory are more powerful than my Q9650 which ran Civ 6 fine on any map, even a modded map I did to be extra big.

Reactions: blckgrffn

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I knew there was a reason I liked you, blckgrffn!

• Haha
Reactions: blckgrffn
Feb 4, 2009
Even though I placed my order within the first minute mine was already slated for Q1 2022. RIP Christmas 2021.

Steam put something out saying small delays in shipping, production and then shipping again added up to a two month delay.
Feel bad for you guys.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, I got delayed until "After Q2 2022". Hell... the Zen 2 based hardware in this thing will be obsolete before I get it at this point :(

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Yeah, I got delayed until "After Q2 2022". Hell... the Zen 2 based hardware in this thing will be obsolete before I get it at this point :(
So more than 8 months?! How many people pre ordered that thing?
Or is it so hard to source the parts?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
How many people pre ordered that thing?
Too many. Steam already got their money, meanwhile everyone will be waiting almost a full year before they get to use the thing they paid for and like ultimatebob said, the hardware will be outclassed by Q3 of 2022. I know I've said it before, but maybe if people stop jumping at the first opportunity to throw money at companies and instead wait until a product is completed and available, then we might see this shit happen less and less. I was on the fence about buying one of these for my brother for Christmas, but based on everything I was reading, I didn't have a good feeling that we'd see it by the end of the year, nor would it come with everything that it's claiming.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Too many. Steam already got their money, meanwhile everyone will be waiting almost a full year before they get to use the thing they paid for and like ultimatebob said, the hardware will be outclassed by Q3 of 2022. I know I've said it before, but maybe if people stop jumping at the first opportunity to throw money at companies and instead wait until a product is completed and available, then we might see this shit happen less and less. I was on the fence about buying one of these for my brother for Christmas, but based on everything I was reading, I didn't have a good feeling that we'd see it by the end of the year, nor would it come with everything that it's claiming.
How did they get their money? Wasn't the pre order like $5?
You are supposed to pay all the money when they actually send it out.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
How did they get their money? Wasn't the pre order like $5?
You are supposed to pay all the money when they actually send it out.
I was under the assumption the pre-order was full cost. If it was only $5 then that's not too bad.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I was under the assumption the pre-order was full cost. If it was only $5 then that's not too bad.

Yeah, it is a $5 "refundable" reservation. "Refundable" because after 30 days, they only give it back to you as steam credit if you cancel your reservation.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Fair enough then. Still sucks for anyone who was hoping to be playing this on Christmas.