Discussion Steam Deck

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just wondering what the adult use case is for a device like this. I assumed most Switch (and thus similar device) users were kids/adolescents.

I can't think of single reason I would own a dedicated handheld game machine (when I was kid still in school sure, but they didn't exist then). If I am home I can can game with nice big screen either KB/Mouse or XB Controller. I don't currently own a game console, but I can at least see that as a similar big screen experience.

So is the main use case outside the home, but again, I am at a loss to think where? I wouldn't bring it to work, or social outings with friends (when those happen again), or hikes in the woods, or on errands...

How does this fit into an adults life? No insult to Adults buying this, just trying to understand the use case.

-I guess it's all that sweet stimulus/EITC money finding a new home.

Could also just be redirected GPU money that, you know, never actually made it to a GPU because reasons.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
The M.2 2230 NVMe SSD slot (in all models I believe) is user upgradeable although they don't recommend it. Newegg has 128GB ones for $26, in the UK 128GB & 256GB are both £65 with 512GB £110 & 1TB £210. I have a 512GB SteamDeck on order myself.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I feel like the microsd card slot is DOA being UHS-I only. Max 100MB/s is absolutely not sufficient for any larger/resource heavy PC games.

Who wants to have slower than hard drive speeds for PC gaming in 2022?

They really needed it to be UHS-II, UHS-III, or MicroSD Express for it to be useful.

Some people are claiming the pro move is to move games to the MicroSD when not playing them and move them to the internal storage for playing, but at 100MB/s it's gonna take a while to move any modern game over more than a few gigabytes. It would take 15-20 minutes to move a large 100+GB AAA title.

Not to mention it will exhaust a MicroSD card's nand pretty fast if you're always moving games to it, writing a shit ton.

I wish more people were complaining about UHS-I in hopes they would opt to upgrade it to a higher standard, but instead the majority of what I see is people congratulating them for adding the slot in the first place.

Even just upgrading to UHS-II would close to triple the speed, which would make it significantly more usable to run games directly on.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I feel like the microsd card slot is DOA being UHS-I only. Max 100MB/s is absolutely not sufficient for any larger/resource heavy PC games.

They really needed it to be UHS-II, UHS-III, or MicroSD Express for it to be useful.

Some people are claiming the pro move is to move games to the MicroSD when not playing them and move them to the internal storage for playing, but at 100MB/s it's gonna take a while to move any modern game over more than a few gigabytes. It would take 15-20 minutes to move a large 100+GB AAA title.

Not to mention it will exhaust a MicroSD card's nand pretty fast if you're always moving games to it, writing a shit ton.

I wish more people were complaining about UHS-I in hopes they would opt to upgrade it to a higher standard, but instead the majority of what I see is people congratulating them for adding the slot in the first place.

Even just upgrading to UHS-II would close to triple the speed, which would make it significantly more usable to run games directly on.

There will be third party mods/addons to use the Type C port for a rear mounted external SSD I reckon, but I do agree that SD Express should have been on there.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
There will be third party mods/addons to use the Type C port for a rear mounted external SSD I reckon, but I do agree that SD Express should have been on there.

Adding an external SSD may severely hamper battery life, which is not a great compromise.

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
Do I really want a steam deck as a nintendo switch lite AND a decent desktop PC, owner?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Do I really want a steam deck as a nintendo switch lite AND a decent desktop PC, owner?

I was kinda hoping I could use it as a sort of portable and connect my own monitor/KB/Mouse, but to do that it seems you need the dock as well. I'm not sure I could play Civilization or similar games on it the way it is.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
The difference is that Switch has games specifically coded and optimized for it's light HW, and Steam Deck, is just a gaming PC.

So regardless of form factor it still has to run full fat PC games, and it's HW is anything but kick ass for that.
but you can play switch game, since aya neo can emulate switch decent enough, and this thing is way faster than that

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
Just wondering what the adult use case is for a device like this. I assumed most Switch (and thus similar device) users were kids/adolescents.

I can't think of single reason I would own a dedicated handheld game machine (when I was kid still in school sure, but they didn't exist then). If I am home I can can game with nice big screen either KB/Mouse or XB Controller. I don't currently own a game console, but I can at least see that as a similar big screen experience.

So is the main use case outside the home, but again, I am at a loss to think where? I wouldn't bring it to work, or social outings with friends (when those happen again), or hikes in the woods, or on errands...

How does this fit into an adults life? No insult to Adults buying this, just trying to understand the use case.

It is more powerful than my 2200G computer. If the dock is a reasonable price I could grab one and make a very minimalist pc setup that has the option to go portable when required.

Edit to add: Another use case is emulation on the go and yet another is ripping the internals out of the chassis and overclocking the crap out of it since 1.6Ghz RDNA2 is pretty damn low and with enough power and cooling 2.5+ Ghz should be doable.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
It is more powerful than my 2200G computer. If the dock is a reasonable price I could grab one and make a very minimalist pc setup that has the option to go portable when required.

Edit to add: Another use case is emulation on the go and yet another is ripping the internals out of the chassis and overclocking the crap out of it since 1.6Ghz RDNA2 is pretty damn low and with enough power and cooling 2.5+ Ghz should be doable.

I'd be interested in a desktop version. But in that case I'll just wait. This is likely the next generation APU from AMD and it will show up in multiple form factors in the future. For a desktop, I'd want a full NVME slot, and more ports than a single USB3.

Feb 4, 2009
I suspect steam has a trick up their sleeve regarding VR with the deck
That alone could solve the small screen problem

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012

Yeah because the rest of it is going to be bottlenecked by that, right?!
Keep your expectations in check here, this will be fine for the resolution it targets but it's not going to be a high end desktop gaming PC.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah because the rest of it is going to be bottlenecked by that, right?!
Keep your expectations in check here, this will be fine for the resolution it targets but it's not going to be a high end desktop gaming PC.

Yeah this is where it will fail and valve is already setting it up for unrealistic expectations by saying “it will run every AAA game on steam”
that statement is sneaky because yeah it runs everything but at what resolution?
When People are left to fill in the gaps they always go unrealistic.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Yeah this is where it will fail and valve is already setting it up for unrealistic expectations by saying “it will run every AAA game on steam”
that statement is sneaky because yeah it runs everything but at what resolution?
When People are left to fill in the gaps they always go unrealistic.

I suspect 1280*800 ;)

I've played a number of AAA games at 720p with a 3400G for testing purposes. I think with this pixel density and resolution it'll be pretty darn solid.

Hooking it up to your 4K TV and expecting to get the same frame rates? Ha.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat
Feb 4, 2009
I suspect 1280*800 ;)

I've played a number of AAA games at 720p with a 3400G for testing purposes. I think with this pixel density and resolution it'll be pretty darn solid.

That’s my point, we all know someone will do that and expect an awesome experience. I also suspect someone will buy it as a desktop replacement and will expect the same life changing result.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
That’s my point, we all know someone will do that and expect an awesome experience. I also suspect someone will buy it as a desktop replacement and will expect the same life changing result.

I mean, at 1920*1080 it will probably be OK'ish. Don't underestimate how many people are good with slow and ugly if they get to play. I know it always surprises me!

That said, if people have 2k or 4k monitors they should rub a couple of braincells together and figure out they are using scaling (FSR! WOOO! lol) to get native res @ 30 fps+.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I suspect 1280*800 ;)

Good news, 4K is 3 x 1280 so there shouldn't be any scaling artifacts at similar resolution!

Reactions: blckgrffn

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Just a few graphic tweaks away from from Running RDR2 at playable frame rates: ;)

attach-1573609749137.jpg

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Actually, I don't think the HW is quite to PS4 levels. I expect it has about half the memory bus, and thus about half the bandwidth or less.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Actually, I don't think the HW is quite to PS4 levels. I expect it has about half the memory bus, and thus about half the bandwidth or less.

That’s true, but the CPU is what, 300% faster? I mean that’s barely hyperbole.

A straight comparison is hard but for sure single threaded cpu performance - and likely storage performance - is on a completely different level.

Feb 4, 2009
Lets not forget PC games are designed to run on a wide range of hardware whether it is a spinning disk or a fast nvme.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
That isn't as much of an advantage as Console games that are designed precisely for the HW they run on.

Id say consoles have a better advantage in this point, as its a paper cutter template.
You don't need drivers playing nice with other drives, as the console was designed from the getgo to work on customized drivers.

This is why some game makes do not want a PC port, because it opens a icebox of worms in ever custom PC build running specialized parts for something.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Last edited: