Discussion Steam Deck

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
-Right, it's vastly more powerful than something like The Switch which is running on a relic Tegra X1 platform or the AYA Neo which has a 6core zen 2 and a 6cu Vega GPU.

this is nintendo we're talking about.
They are the king of optimization, not what steam is known for.
It takes massive amounts of program digesting for a AAA title game to make it out to switch.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
What’s it come installed with?

I take it storage isn’t user upgradable?

SteamOS - (Arch Linux based Distro from Valve).

It isn't confirmed, but I expect Storage is non-upgradable internally otherwise everyone would buy the $399 option and add their own NVME.

Reactions: paperfist

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Even though my account is something like 12 years old, apparently I cannot reserve because its "too new".

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I reserved a 512GB model at around 22 minutes after. (Had some issues noted below causing me to be a bit late.) Overall, I think it's an interesting device, and I'm curious to see how well it will perform. I think the biggest thing that sticks out to me is storage, and I think this is where some of the pain is going to come from. There are two points that come to mind...
  1. Games on a console like the Switch can be tailored to only use assets appropriate for its performance target (e.g. only lower resolution textures). However, on the PC, you generally get a larger array of assets included due to being able to select between multiple options. Usually, the only time you get the choice to segment your download is if a developer separates something like 4K textures. For example, Final Fantasy XV has a base download size of about 90GB and then an extra 40GB for the high-resolution texture pack. It seems like the base 64GB Steam Deck would heavily benefit from being able to remove excess data. Perhaps allowing developers to better compartmentalize their games like Microsoft might be a good idea for Valve?
  2. While Valve has noted that the internal storage is built-in (i.e. not user-upgradeable), and the only other option is to use the SD card, they did also note that the USB Type-C port on the bottom is a full-fledged USB port that serves all peripherals. Also, the OS in question is simply Linux. So, in that regard... what is stopping users from attaching an SSD-based external drive to the USB Type-C port? Since the USB port is on the bottom, you could also make an adapter that plugs into it and performs a USB-to-M.2 conversion. It could wrap around the back and allow the user to attach their own M.2 card. If it could also provide pass-through, that would be quite the interesting and fairly unobtrusive solution.
anyone else getting pre-orders through?

I got one through, but it was not a fun time. I had to use my phone due to the work PC having Steam blocked, and frankly... the Reserve Now button just would not work on iOS. It didn't matter if I used Steam proper or Safari, it turned black after pressing it and then turned white again without ever adding it to my cart. I had to actually use my car's web browser to make the purchase, which was super fun when it went to typing in the long password (twice). :p

Even though my account is something like 12 years old, apparently I cannot reserve because its "too new".

I wonder if this is an issue with how long ago you've purchased a game through Steam. (Note that redeeming a key is not the same as making a purchase!)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Well, I used my daughter's 2 year old account and that worked. :/

I'm almost positive I a couple games during the steam summer sale. I'm sure I bought some during the 2020 winter sale as well so its not like last purchased that long ago. Rather annoyed with that.

Still can't make the purchase though, cryptic errors. Steam support had it set as a pending transaction still even though it said "purchase was not made". What a mess!

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
OK, 512 GB preorder just went through. Back to 256 GB pre-order...

1626459981486.png

haha, well... I'll still keep trying I guess.

Ended up successfully checking out via PP.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
OK, 512 GB preorder just went through. Back to 256 GB pre-order...

View attachment 47277

haha, well... I'll still keep trying I guess.

Ended up successfully checking out via PP.

That image makes me wonder what my expected date is. When I was ordering, it just had this generic, placeholder text that resembled something like a variable that wasn't properly filled in when the page was generated.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Well, sent a message to support about my account not being old enough. They didn't say they fixed it, just the automated response but when I tried just now I could reserve. And the order actually went through with a confirmation email.

I probably have to cancel the one on my daughters account but it would have had to have gone through for me to do that.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Well, sent a message to support about my account not being old enough. They didn't say they fixed it, just the automated response but when I tried just now I could reserve. And the order actually went through with a confirmation email.

I probably have to cancel the one on my daughters account but it would have had to have gone through for me to do that.

Wow, worked like a charm now, you're right.

They decided to move the servers from the free AWS instances to something that costs a few bucks per month, I see ;)

I swear this pre-order stuff is a nightmare because the load spikes are so high and there is always a weakest link.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Wow, worked like a charm now, you're right.

They decided to move the servers from the free AWS instances to something that costs a few bucks per month, I see ;)

I swear this pre-order stuff is a nightmare because the load spikes are so high and there is always a weakest link.

I figure the first wave probably gave up so things settled. I was really surprised my "account to new" issue got resolved though, I figured I was screwed there for whatever reason.

As expected I received a confirmation email for the first one I ordered after the second one I ordered received a confirmation email. Not sure which one I should let go, I don't think I'll need two of these.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I figure the first wave probably gave up so things settled. I was really surprised my "account to new" issue got resolved though, I figured I was screwed there for whatever reason.

As expected I received a confirmation email for the first one I ordered after the second one I ordered received a confirmation email. Not sure which one I should let go, I don't think I'll need two of these.

It seems likely that there will be a lot of "wait and see" pre-orders in this batch. Having to put $5 down to get in line was smart of them. Ars numbers has the collective numbers from the pre-orders at 110,000+ which doesn't seem like that many... but maybe it is. I don't need two of them but I am guessing if they are good I'll be able to find homes for them (maybe mine, maybe friends/family).

512GB seems to have been the darling, at a pre-order rate of 2:1 over the combined numbers of the others. We'll see how many of the base model they really make, but it needed to exist for GOOD:BETTER:BEST rankings and to be "just" $50 more than a new best Switch.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I tried ordering right away. Kept erroring out, then Steam said I was trying to make too many purchases and told me to 'wait a while'. I got the reservation through, but for Q2 '22. That was kind of stupid.

Reactions: blckgrffn

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
While I agree 64GB is painfully small, its a loss leader using the classic "starting at..." price trick. As far as Windows, well...it doesn't come with Windows which is a real space hog compared to linux. I'd fine just installing windows itself without any games difficult to live with in 64GB.

Anyway, some have pointed out that you could probably install a SSD to the USB-C port.

Arstechnica had some reservations numbers, very few are reserving the low end model. It's how all these loss leader almost unusable entry level products are set up. They wan't to advertise the low price, and then get most people buying the top model as is happening here, with most reservations for the $649 model. Which doesn't seem very cheap to me.

512GB model, $649: 71,600 (of which 55,000 came from North America)
256GB model, $529: 33,000 (of which 28,000 came from North America)
Other users have chimed in to count close to 10,000 64GB model preorders from North America, with other regions' 64GB counts remaining unclear.

Edit: Somehow the post above with this info wasn't visible before I posted, I must have forgot to refresh tab...

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Just wondering what the adult use case is for a device like this. I assumed most Switch (and thus similar device) users were kids/adolescents.

I can't think of single reason I would own a dedicated handheld game machine (when I was kid still in school sure, but they didn't exist then). If I am home I can can game with nice big screen either KB/Mouse or XB Controller. I don't currently own a game console, but I can at least see that as a similar big screen experience.

So is the main use case outside the home, but again, I am at a loss to think where? I wouldn't bring it to work, or social outings with friends (when those happen again), or hikes in the woods, or on errands...

How does this fit into an adults life? No insult to Adults buying this, just trying to understand the use case.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
anyone else getting pre-orders through?

Yeah, mine went through.

I'm not really sure if I want one yet, but I will chip in $5 to support the development effort. Even if the console fails, the technology developed will help Linux get one step closer to being a viable mainstream gaming platform.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Just wondering what the adult use case is for a device like this. I assumed most Switch (and thus similar device) users were kids/adolescents.

I can't think of single reason I would own a dedicated handheld game machine (when I was kid still in school sure, but they didn't exist then). If I am home I can can game with nice big screen either KB/Mouse or XB Controller. I don't currently own a game console, but I can at least see that as a similar big screen experience.

So is the main use case outside the home, but again, I am at a loss to think where? I wouldn't bring it to work, or social outings with friends (when those happen again), or hikes in the woods, or on errands...

How does this fit into an adults life? No insult to Adults buying this, just trying to understand the use case.

I was going to use it to play minecraft, indy games in my library and maybe dosbox and emulators on my couch while I hang around with the kids.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Unless it is fake some one emailed GabeN and he says that the base models have an m.2 slot so they can be upgraded. The catch is its a 2230 slot so there isn't a great savings of going DIY at current prices while also potentially causing warranty issues from opening the case.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
As others have mentioned, I could bring a bt key board and mouse while traveling and have an “oh shoot” device with all my ssh keys and stuff ready to rock and not have to drag my laptop everywhere I go.

I run my own business and if things go sideways I need to be able to get online enough to help. This would be just enough, IMO. I could easily have a hdmi cable and any tv is suddenly a good enough monitor.

As a PC it should have plenty of great for “work” and hopefully we can run Windows (even in a container) for the few applications (Adobe Everything) that need Windows.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Now that I'm on my desktop, even though I got my order in 19 minutes after release, I'm slated for Q1 2022 (according to the main Steam Deck page). I thought that I had gotten in a bit earlier than that!