State of the Union Address?

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Yessss. Spidey trotts out the well debunked myth of the self made man!

So many Americans still believe "anyone can make it", yet facts and data overwhelmingly show this is false.

Everytime i read this I want to strangle the perpetrator with their bootstraps.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Let me ask you something. Since Trump claims to want to eradicate HIV, why did he disband/eliminated the White House advisory panel on AIDS, or propose massively cutting funding to the CDC, NIH, NHS, research grant funding....you know, all those things that might be useful to doing what he claims to want to achieve? Hmmmmm? He's not going to get far in this endeavor with no one having any funds to accomplish that goal.

Same reason the GOP carries on about legal immigration versus illegal immigration, then passes a bill to slash legal immigration by 40%. What they say is willfully misleading, to keep those who aren't paying enough attention lulled into a sense they are doing the right thing.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Let me ask you something. Since Trump claims to want to eradicate HIV, why did he disband/eliminated the White House advisory panel on AIDS, or propose massively cutting funding to the CDC, NIH, NHS, research grant funding....you know, all those things that might be useful to doing what he claims to want to achieve? Hmmmmm? He's not going to get far in this endeavor with no one having any funds to accomplish that goal.

Because big government panels aren't always the best way forward.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Because big government panels aren't always the best way forward.

Yeah, you're right. We should let some private company come up with a solution, patent it, and jack up the price by a few hundred or thousand percent. This has never happened before.

Dumbass. Learn from history, we need not make the same mistakes.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, you're right. We should let some private company come up with a solution, patent it, and jack up the price by a few hundred or thousand percent. This has never happened before.

Dumbass. Learn from history, we need not make the same mistakes.

Our advances in medicine always come this way. Free market competition > government regulation and control. I think you should look at history, not me...

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
@SlowSpyder Being that you have been active in numerous other threads, but that you haven't got back to this one - I assume you are abandoning thread. Congratulations for being the poster child of what I was talking about; someone who has been bamboozled into thinking they are doing the right thing. For the record you are advocating for the profiteering off of medications, what we have now is far from a free market competition. Companies are able to patent medicine and charge whatever they want for it. Furthermore, you are conflating with how things are now with the ways they always have been and should be. You're just plain wrong and you know it, but you are too sheepish to publicly acknowledge so.

Reactions: UberNeuman

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What??? Watch Trump read a script he couldn't have written in his wildest dreams? Don't make me laugh.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
@SlowSpyder Being that you have been active in numerous other threads, but that you haven't got back to this one - I assume you are abandoning thread. Congratulations for being the poster child of what I was talking about; someone who has been bamboozled into thinking they are doing the right thing. For the record you are advocating for the profiteering off of medications, what we have now is far from a free market competition. Companies are able to patent medicine and charge whatever they want for it. Furthermore, you are conflating with how things are now with the ways they always have been and should be. You're just plain wrong and you know it, but you are too sheepish to publicly acknowledge so.

It looks like he posted an hour ago?

Anyways what in the world is wrong with profiting off of medication? What do you do for a living? What if I said it was wrong for you to make a profit? How long would you keep doing what you’re doing?

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
It looks like he posted an hour ago?

Anyways what in the world is wrong with profiting off of medication? What do you do for a living? What if I said it was wrong for you to make a profit? How long would you keep doing what you’re doing?

He posted roughly a dozen times in multiple other threads, multiple times in some, since I replied to him. I do R&D on LED lighting fixtures for theatrical and architectural purposes. It's hardly a life changing or saving field. Medicine is. To be clear, we're talking about things like epipen being able to jack up their prices by hundreds of percents because there was no alternative. You're fine with this?

Edit: And it wasn't that there couldn't have been an alternative, alternatives we're legally prevented.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Whether it’s life changing or saving is irrelevant to the economics. You wouldn’t work for free and neither should anyone else. You do r&d, would that investment be made if at the end of the day you know you’ll only be able to break even at best? Of course not, and no one else should be expected to either. Profit is not a bad thing, I’m communicating with you over my iPad that is crammed with amazing technologies across the US (possibly world) in the blink of an eye and it’s all because of the incentives of profit.

About jacking up prices, I get it. Not sure what the answer is, maybe regulations on the margins or something of the like. But I absolutely think they should be able to profit off it though.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Whether it’s life changing or saving is irrelevant to the economics. You wouldn’t work for free and neither should anyone else. You do r&d, would that investment be made if at the end of the day you know you’ll only be able to break even at best? Of course not, and no one else should be expected to either. Profit is not a bad thing, I’m communicating with you over my iPad that is crammed with amazing technologies across the US (possibly world) in the blink of an eye and it’s all because of the incentives of profit.

About jacking up prices, I get it. Not sure what the answer is, maybe regulations on the margins or something of the like. But I absolutely think they should be able to profit off it though.

Sigh. I said profiteering not profiting, something that should have been clear from my first post on the subject. For the illiterate..

Profiteer:
a person who seeks or exacts exorbitant profits, especially through the sale of scarce or rationed goods.

Reactions: vi edit

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Guy, I'm at work and posting in numerous threads. I apologize for not prioritizing a reply to you, I wasn't aware of your importance around here.

Competition drives innovation. Guaranteed money and government regulation stifles it. I understand that greed and the drive for profit can be taken too far, and I'm against that as you are. But, shiny prizes drive people.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Guy, I'm at work and posting in numerous threads. I apologize for not prioritizing a reply to you, I wasn't aware of your importance around here.

Competition drives innovation. Guaranteed money and government regulation stifles it. I understand that greed and the drive for profit can be taken too far, and I'm against that as you are. But, shiny prizes drive people.

The universe revolves around me, don't you know?

No you don't understand it, apparently. I was explicitly clear from my first post I was talking about profiteering, not profiting. That's what patenting it and jacking up the price by at least hundreds of percents is. Funny thing is, you're railing against government regulations. GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS ARE THE REASON THEY GET AWAY WITH IT. I put that in caps, bolded it, and underlined it so you don't miss it. "Our advances in medicine always come this way" are not the words of someone who is "against it as you are." You back pedaled, quite obviously. Just be a man and admit it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The universe revolves around me, don't you know?

No you don't understand it, apparently. I was explicitly clear from my first post I was talking about profiteering, not profiting. That's what patenting it and jacking up the price by at least hundreds of percents is. Funny thing is, you're railing against government regulations. GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS ARE THE REASON THEY GET AWAY WITH IT. I put that in caps, bolded it, and underlined it so you don't miss it. "Our advances in medicine always come this way" are not the words of someone who is "against it as you are." You back pedaled, quite obviously. Just be a man and admit it.

I think there is room for profits and affordability. But make no mistake, profits and competition are what drive innovation in almost any area.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I think there is room for profits and affordability. But make no mistake, profits and competition are what drive innovation in almost any area.

For the last time, profiteering and profiting are not the same thing. Your initial response indicated that profiteering is how medical advances have always worked. At the very least you mispoke.

Edit: Not to mention the way the pharmaceutical industry is currently set up stifles competition more than it encourages it.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yessss. Spidey trotts out the well debunked myth of the self made man!

So many Americans still believe "anyone can make it", yet facts and data overwhelmingly show this is false.

Everytime i read this I want to strangle the perpetrator with their bootstraps.

So Jeff Bezos isnt self made?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

actually, government regulation leads to innovation, efficiency, and better profits in the end. I mean, it just always does. Why do you constantly lie about things where history is fundamentally against you?

Here's one: Remember when fossil fuels industry were dumping $$$ into stifling federal research into the effects of lead, how it was poisoning our soil, our drinking water...how all of this would bankrupt them and run the auto industry out of the country? That it would be too expensive? That it was regressive and "stifling"? Remember that? All of the millions of millions of dollars to fight regulations on toxic lead and promote fuel injection technologies and all that? Remember? You would have been the same denier of all of the data on lead, demanding an end to this government overreach. You would have.

But man, all those regs sure did kill efficiency and make autos less profitable! But hey, I guess unlike you, I wasn't the sort to be happy living in a world where cities would just have their major rivers spontaneously alight, because "the business" must be left alone!

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Russia State TV gave Trump's SOTU speech high marks and praise, that's all I need to hear.