Started working out but not losing any weight. What gives?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
/Thread.

Really.

Shocking that 9999/10000 folks still don't get it.
Yeah that's what I did. Adjusted my calorie intake while still keeping my routine and my weight started to finally drop. I guess I was eating more than I thought....in the end it was a good thing and honestly a wake up call so to speak.

You guys need to remember I started this thread back in November after starting to work out in October. A lot has changed since then.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
This thread is geared towards people wanting to lose weight. I don't see any problem with a 3 day water fast for such a topic. However, you shouldn't lose any muscle mass and low sugar levels are only a concern if you a disease like Type 1 diabetes. Normal people doing a 3 day fast should be fine.

Muscle guy that promotes 3 day fasting (he has multiple videos on 3 day fasting)

Another muscle guy doing a 5 day fast.

Bodybuilding article on a 60 hour fast

Again, this thread was for people that want to lose weight but if you want to know the results of someone such as a male with a normal near perfect physique, I have provided examples in the link above. You can read and learn about their experiences if you are in that near perfect physique.

A 3 day water fast works for people that are overweight because it eliminates all of your cravings and shrinks your stomach which are two huge issues with people that are overweight.
so.... your little videos are of someone with out a job (looks to be like a millionaire who does nothing) other guy says he drinks juice and chicken broth etc. etc. how is that a water fast? maybe you didn't watch the videos you linked :) i know at least a handful of times I tried to work out with out eating in 16 hours and just about killed myself. Can just imagine at work trying to concentrate on giving patients the correct medications on a water diet.

KeepMoving

Aug 12, 2016
so.... your little videos are of someone with out a job (looks to be like a millionaire who does nothing) other guy says he drinks juice and chicken broth etc. etc. how is that a water fast? maybe you didn't watch the videos you linked :) i know at least a handful of times I tried to work out with out eating in 16 hours and just about killed myself. Can just imagine at work trying to concentrate on giving patients the correct medications on a water diet.

What does someone's job have to do with this topic? The guy has 2 million subs, so he probably is making a decent living on YouTube. It seems like you have a gripe against people that fast for some reason or maybe you're just bipolar. If fasting doesn't work for you, that's perfectly fine. It's not for everyone and I wasn't recommending it to people that are already in shape.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
What does someone's job have to do with this topic? The guy has 2 million subs, so he probably is making a decent living on YouTube. It seems like you have a gripe against people that fast for some reason or maybe you're just bipolar. If fasting doesn't work for you, that's perfectly fine. It's not for everyone and I wasn't recommending it to people that are already in shape.

You dont understand what a job might have to do with fasting? hehehehe
so if you dig ditches all day you are going to fast 3 days straight?

Well if you are a millionaire you most likely dont drive 30 mins to work 16 hour shifts and then 30 mins home. I have only gone to 24 hours fasting and started to blackout and shake :) i really dont think its healthy advice to give to people, the second video with drinking broth and juices seems reasonable.

KeepMoving

Aug 12, 2016
You dont understand what a job might have to do with fasting? hehehehe
so if you dig ditches all day you are going to fast 3 days straight?

Well if you are a millionaire you most likely dont drive 30 mins to work 16 hour shifts and then 30 mins home. I have only gone to 24 hours fasting and started to blackout and shake :) i really dont think its healthy advice to give to people, the second video with drinking broth and juices seems reasonable.

Well that sounds terrible. Blacking out and shaking after a 24 hour fast is not a normal. Sounds like you might have some underlining disease that prevents your body from regulating sugar when not eating.

As for the "job" comment, some people experience more energy in a fasted state, that's why there seems to be a disconnect.

This guy will still train in a fasted state. He only does a 24 hour fast but as you can see, he says his energy is through the roof.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Well that sounds terrible. Blacking out and shaking after a 24 hour fast is not a normal. Sounds like you might have some underlining disease that prevents your body from regulating sugar when not eating.

As for the "job" comment, some people experience more energy in a fasted state, that's why there seems to be a disconnect.

This guy will still train in a fasted state. He only does a 24 hour fast but as you can see, he says his energy is through the roof.
that guy is on drugs (OPENLY ADMITS TO USING STEROIDS) , how long do you think these guys train for while fasting for 3 days each day? prob 1 hour, like i said not working a backbreaking job or anything that requires concentration.

Last edited:

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
If your suggestion is to reduce caloric intake you're already giving bad advice.

What matters is what's in the calorie not how many.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
joe has covered the general theory on fasting.

AvE went into the science

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Just a quick update. Regulated my calorie intake and stepped up my workout routine. Went from 188 down to 155 while gaining some serious muscle. Haven't felt this good in a long while. Got so many complements on how slim I look.
It's no surprise that men want to be me and women want to be with me. Just sayin'.......I look fine af ;)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Just a quick update. Regulated my calorie intake and stepped up my workout routine. Went from 188 down to 155 while gaining some serious muscle. Haven't felt this good in a long while. Got so many complements on how slim I look.
It's no surprise that men want to be me and women want to be with me. Just sayin'.......I look fine af ;)

Grats dude, it feels good to get healthier 😁

GrowlikePro

Jun 14, 2021
This sounds amazing! For how many hours do you workout?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
How much you can rely on health tracker apps that are available on android or iOS?
Depends on how you're tracking. If you're just putting in daily activity, then very little. If you have a wrist heart rate monitor, then it is more accurate, but is generally quite off for workouts themselves if high intensity. If you use a chest strap during high intensity exercise, they can be very accurate.