Starcraft experts... strategy against zerg cloud

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
try www.teamliquid.net

www.battlereports.com also has some but those are more newbish, well, some are good, but you have to know professional player names to find the good ones. lots of newbs upload their replays here so not as great.

if you want a bigger pro replay database thats in a foreign language

try www.ygclan.com (korean)

www.yaoyuan.com (chinese)

you can probably figure out yaoyuan without knowledge of chinese, I don't know about ygclan though.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Doon't worry about being called a bgh noob. Thats all I play now. I play it for fun and it lets me have fun without having to think too hard.

I'll play against amoeba today as protoss and then you can watch us. He'll go storm and i'll counter it. Then we'll pay for real. :)

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
I got my ass handed to me last night repeatedly. I just can't micro well. I think I got most of the mental strats down though.

I think the level of play is higher in bw than in vanilla sc.

May 31, 2001
Just had a great game. We were playing 2v2, islands at the top and bottom of the map. Creator wanted no rush for twenty minutes, then had also turned the game speed down. :(

Well, my partner wasn't ready for treachery, so when the host dropped troops into his harvesting area ahead of the twenty minute time limit, he dropped. I held the hosts troops off for a bit, then took out his partner's Zerg air units with Corsairs.

Then I sent some Carriers and Corsairs over and killed the host's Command Center, which sucks on a fast money map where it's right against the stacked minerals. I fought back and forth with the troops he and his Zerg partner had, and managed to kill most of the host's stuff.

I asked his Zerg partner to let me kill the host off, then he could kill me and get the win. He agreed, since the host hadn't done anything effective since his early drop. It then became a race of who could wipe out the other's buildings first. I had almost finished the host off, and he was begging me to ally him. He wiped out my main base but I had flown some Probes to another area and was building again. He was begging his partner for help, and scanning trying to find me. Then his partner got dropped, so I finished the host off and got the win, lol.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
fast money maps aren't really my thing but whatever floats your boat. Ladder mappers usually beat money mappers on ANY map.

fast money maps also aren't exactly balanced for all 3 races.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
9pm PSt so that translates to 7pm Central for me. That sounds good.

Ah, dfi joining. Dfi is pretty good. Last time he owned me tvt.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
What's yall favorite tactics for each race on a big money map like bgh?

for me it's:

terran: marines n meds then slowly accumulate my tanks... if the game gets rather long and out of hand i get whooped

zerg: zergling rush/ early attack then mutalisks

protoss: good 'ol buncha zealots and temps. then i get them noobish carriers if the game gets long :).

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
marine n meds works if your opponent is zerg. But you will probably have problems if opponent is toss or terran unless if you surprise him really early with an attack. Psionic storm and tanks kill m&m too easily.

muta//ling and zealot temp are pretty standard.

You should really move to non money maps though, it would improve your skill a lot more. Then you can come back to money maps and whoop up on most players.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jinduy
What's yall favorite tactics for each race on a big money map like bgh?

for me it's:

terran: marines n meds then slowly accumulate my tanks... if the game gets rather long and out of hand i get whooped

zerg: zergling rush/ early attack then mutalisks

protoss: good 'ol buncha zealots and temps. then i get them noobish carriers if the game gets long :).

Once you get good, or even decent, you figure out its all about winging the whole game. At least thats how it is for me. Yes, I have tactics I like because they seem more fun or effective to me, but there is no set tactic.

Like on protoss, I like the 4z 4dt aproach where the 4th gateway comes in at the same time the templar archives does so all four pump out a dt
then the z's disctract and are a significant enough force to distract while dt's can support or run past to whatever I want them to destroy. Whether it be workers, supply, or other such important structures.

For terran, the m/m tactic works really well but you need detection because they'll just get slaughtered by lurkers/dt's/tanks. That means taching up to the sci vessal which means its further in the game and they probably have lurkers/dts/tanks before you do and probably more of them. By then, gols should be a staple in support for hitting the bigger air units. As always, most terran players go for the m/m and tank or gol and tank to either just push the other players to death or drop.

Zerg, the main tactic seems to be hydras or fast air to hit workers and cripple their economy. an 8 worker pool I like to get about 4 zergies just to harrass while I tech to whatever else I want works too. Usually queens with zergies or hydras. Queens are a real base in my spells because of their versatality. You got the web which is just great, spawn broodling which against terran is great for the tanks. Or just in the middle of a bunch of units so their tanks destroy others with the splash. Also, the parasite gives you important information while if they notice, likely have them destroy their own unit, or send it out for you to destroy easily.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: amoeba
marine n meds works if your opponent is zerg. But you will probably have problems if opponent is toss or terran unless if you surprise him really early with an attack. Psionic storm and tanks kill m&m too easily.

muta//ling and zealot temp are pretty standard.

You should really move to non money maps though, it would improve your skill a lot more. Then you can come back to money maps and whoop up on most players.

Thats how I played. :) Losing my SC key for a couple months and playing not nothing but that shareware little mineral maps improved me greatly. Recently I've been playing too much BGH and when I ploay with amoeba and stuff I have a little adjusting to do. :)

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

no, 9 pm PST = 11 pm CST.

hope your not waiting online. :)

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003

9pm pst is 11pm central, honey bunches. :)

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
oh crapola. 9pm pst is way too late for me then.

What? You got a bed time or something?!

J/k. I can bump it up to 7 my time, but thats the best I can do.

JimRaynor

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2003
guys i wanna play.

aim me at: jamesrogerhale

or i will be on europe my handle is: iluvharisu

i wanna play with some atoters

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
oh no, a bnet europe player, that means Jim will be likely pretty good.

: )

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
oh no, a bnet europe player, that means Jim will be likely pretty good.

: )

But he's on europe. Aren't the servers seperate? We all gotta long on the same one don't we?

JimRaynor

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2003
well i play wgtour so i have to be on europe.

In regards to the storm, a lot of zerg players think that when their units are in the storm they are invincible. Of course this is not true as other people have already pointed out. There are several ways to deal damage to units in the storm. Regardless, all the storm does is negate ranged attacks, which means if you just have melee units too they will deal damage in the storm as well.

What a lot of people don't know is that burrowed units in the swarm will NOT take damage. That means if you have lurkers burrowed in the storm, there can be 20 tanks pounding away at em and they will not die. Psionic storm however, will obviously still deal damage. Anyways, very nasty zerg trick.

nodoubts2k

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2003
Use the special ability of the corsair if ur toss (on the units in the cloud) - only works if units shoot stuff. Dunno any strategy for other races.