Starcraft experts... strategy against zerg cloud

TranceNation

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2001

so what's the best strategy if you are protoss and your opponent is zerg and does that mushroom cloud thing? Is ther anything to dissolve it or do you just have to go through it or what? thx

SubZeroX

Oct 24, 2001
i use the zerg and I use the defiler's cloud thing a lot, so I know what works against it. Basically, get your templars and psi storm like crazy.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: SubZeroX
i use the zerg and I use the defiler's cloud thing a lot, so I know what works against it. Basically, get your templars and psi storm like crazy.

have you ever had any opposing melee troups get inside that cloud?? bye bye zerg.

terrans struggle a bit more against the cloud than toss tho.

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
EMP / Irradiation against defiler does the trick. Otherwise pull your army back before u take a lot of damage.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Terrans have tank. Because of the splash, trying to send zergies or hydras through won't work because the tanks will still kill them.

Also, firebats tend to own any other melee except for the ultralisk.

Protoss have the all important reaver. They will decimate all ground troups if you have like 2 zealots up front and 2 reavers in abck.

Storm works but is wastefull since cloud will last longer. Dt's zealots work as a great combo since the dt's have almost one hit kills. Just don't get too many zerglings get around you. If you can get them to fight in a line, you'll win.

SubZeroX

Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

have you ever had any opposing melee troups get inside that cloud?? bye bye zerg.

yes, but people only make zealots in response to the cloud, which means its late in the game. Who would actually pump out zealots at that stage? so the production of zealots might not be fast enough. So the most effective counter is the psi storm.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Terrans have tank. Because of the splash, trying to send zergies or hydras through won't work because the tanks will still kill them.

Protoss have the all important reaver. They will decimate all ground troups if you have like 2 zealots up front and 2 reavers in abck.

Storm works but is wastefull since cloud will last longer. Dt's zealots work as a great combo since the dt's have almost one hit kills. Just don't get too many zerglings get around you. If you can get them to fight in a line, you'll win.

decimate? 1 in every 10 isn't such a good strategy :)

PSI storm against hydras, zealots and reavers against lings. We talking vanilla or bw?

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
You shouldn't let them tech all the way to cloud in the first place. A game should NEVER last that long, and even it does pressure should always be applied to prevent it from reaching there.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

decimate? 1 in every 10 isn't such a good strategy :)

PSI storm against hydras, zealots and reavers against lings. We talking vanilla or bw?

Kill in large numbers works for me.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
yup, as stated before, anything that does splash damage can take out whatever is under the cloud. For terran, that would be seige tanks, firebats, and irradiate. For protoss, you can either use zealots or DT's, psi storm works REALLY well, cuz it absolutely decimates everthing under the cloud, which opponents usually gather their units at. if going up against another zerg player, zerglings, ultras and thows burrowed units (forgot what they're called) works well.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: ed21x
yup, as stated before, anything that does splash damage can take out whatever is under the cloud. For terran, that would be seige tanks, firebats, and irradiate. For protoss, you can either use zealots or DT's, psi storm works REALLY well, cuz it absolutely decimates everthing under the cloud, which opponents usually gather their units at. if going up against another zerg player, zerglings, ultras and thows burrowed units (forgot what they're called) works well.

lurker..

TranceNation

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2001

hmmm let me understand, the PSI storm will still kill under the cloud ? I thought the cloud would protect all under it? Also, same question for DTs.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

yes, but people only make zealots in response to the cloud, which means its late in the game. Who would actually pump out zealots at that stage? so the production of zealots might not be fast enough. So the most effective counter is the psi storm.

I use Zealots in late game. I hit them with air early to get them to think I'm going for that, then later march seventy or eighty fully upgraded hyper-Zealots into their base and wreak havoc. Their air units can't kill them fast enough. 'Goons work too, but they roadblock themselves too easily.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: TranceNation
hmmm let me understand, the PSI storm will still kill under the cloud ? I thought the cloud would protect all under it? Also, same question for DTs.

no... the cloud only stops projectiles. Splash damage, spells, and melee aren't affected. Also if your zealots get into the cloud and they're fighting hydras, the hydras won't do any damage to the zealots.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: TranceNation

Psi Storm will kill stuff under the cloud. Stuff that does splash damage, like Siege Tanks, and Reavers with their Scarabs, are good too.

May 31, 2001
Another tactic I've used as Protoss. Have some Corsairs with D-Web standing by. I always have a few to counter air or harrass Overlords anyway, you can D-Web the area of the cloud, so even if they're under the cloud, they can't attack unless they move out from under the D-Web. It will take a few webs to cover the area of the cloud though, Corsairs with the energy upgrade can get two D-Webs each if they're at maximum charge.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
Protoss should try to not let zerg tech to ultra/crackling/defiler. At that point, protoss is at a disadvantage. Zerg will use ultras to soak damage and cracklings to deal real damage.

Your best bet in this situation is a mix of archon, zealot, dark templar , and as many templars as you can micro (don't make more than you can control comfortably). archons to hurt zerglings because of the splash damage, zealots to soak hits and dts to do damage to ultras. Mix in some sairs to kill overlords and thus prevent his detection of your DTs. Meanwhile, you should storm raid zerg's many expansions. Storm raid means drop shipping templar or 2, storming his workers, picking up and leaving before his forces come.

Protoss vs zerg late game is tough. You have to hold your own expansions and hope the zerg's many expansions run out of resources and his economy flatlines. Do not waste your army in a big battle against zerg, he can rebuild his army faster than you can.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: amoeba
Protoss should try to not let zerg tech to ultra/crackling/defiler. At that point, protoss is at a disadvantage. Zerg will use ultras to soak damage and cracklings to deal real damage.

Your best bet in this situation is a mix of archon, zealot, dark templar , and as many templars as you can micro (don't make more than you can control comfortably). archons to hurt zerglings because of the splash damage, zealots to soak hits and dts to do damage to ultras. Mix in some sairs to kill overlords and thus prevent his detection of your DTs. Meanwhile, you should storm raid zerg's many expansions. Storm raid means drop shipping templar or 2, storming his workers, picking up and leaving before his forces come.

Protoss vs zerg late game is tough. You have to hold your own expansions and hope the zerg's many expansions run out of resources and his economy flatlines. Do not waste your army in a big battle against zerg, he can rebuild his army faster than you can.

fond memories

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
You need zealots, goons, archons, and templars. More zealots and a few archons vs a more zergling heavy army, more goons vs a lurker or ultralisk army, and a good mix of zealots, goons, archons, and templars if the zerg player has a well mixed army.

Versus "the cloud", aka dark swarm, you can either backup, psi storm everything inside it, and/or send in your zealots and archons.

dfi

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
Heh, seems like a lot of people still play.

Anybody want to get a game going tonight?

To the OP. I'm not that great at the game but I think I can play a good enough zerg to illustrate to you the points in my post. I can also show you some pro replays and how they deal with the sticky situation that you have asked about.

My bnet name is amoeba6

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: amoeba
Heh, seems like a lot of people still play.

Anybody want to get a game going tonight?

To the OP. I'm not that great at the game but I think I can play a good enough zerg to illustrate to you the points in my post. I can also show you some pro replays and how they deal with the sticky situation that you have asked about.

My bnet name is amoeba6

where's a good place to dl replays? i like bgh cuz i'm noob like that :).