Star Wars:TOR, EA's most expensive game ever

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Then you really haven't been following this game, but I see that doesn't stop you from forming opinions about it.

There is info about the game if you watch those video clips,the forums too have snips of info,I don't know what new info you expect to see at this time but their website does update often with snippets of new info.

We know what the game will look like and classes etc...specs have not been finalized yet but it should not be demanding by nowadays standards.

Do bear in mind that the game is not finalized yet so somethings they have to hold back until they are done and close to final release etc...

Last edited:

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Gigantic Fanboi spotted, no further attention to posts necessary

Really Gothgar? Someone died and made you queen of off topic attack posts in the PC gaming forum now? I don't recall getting that memo. Gigantic fanboi of what exactly? Blizzard? WoW? Star Wars? Your momma?

Gigantic self important troll spotted, no further attention to posts necessary.

:thumbsdown:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Really Gothgar? Someone died and made you queen of off topic attack posts in the PC gaming forum now? I don't recall getting that memo. Gigantic fanboi of what exactly? Blizzard? WoW? Star Wars? Your momma?

Gigantic self important troll spotted, no further attention to posts necessary.

:thumbsdown:

Hes filling in for mike gayner since he hasent been trolling much lately.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
No kidding. The ignore list function is awesome.

Funny how this worthless off topic troll post pops up JUST 6 MINUTES after Gothgars worthless off topic troll post did. Did Gothgar have to log off just to let you log in on the same PC? Or are you 2 just joined at the obnoxious butthead? :thumbsdown:

I don't ignore anyone on this forum. No matter how impossibly stupid, arrogant, or blindly hateful they might be. But if I wanted to live in a fantasy world and be grossly immature and conceited and pretend my opinion was vastly more important than everyone else, I'd just Tweet about all my self centered adventures, instead. Much easier than going to all the trouble of ignoring everyone here I disagreed with. I bet you got hundreds in your ignore list now. And thankfully now that I'm ignored, you won't even be responding to my criticism of your petty forum childishness.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
I have a question.... does anyone know if you have the freedom to choose to be an anti-class? For instance, if I wanted to pick the Bounty Hunter class but wanted to help the Republic instead of the Siths, can I go through my assigned Sith approved missions as a double agent, helping the Republic succeed instead? Or would I have to go as a Smuggler to help the Republic as a similar class?

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Whens this due out? I would love to upgrade my PC and give this game a try.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
For those that are saying ewwwww it's EA, you did not see what Sony did to Galaxies then. I'm 50/50.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
For those that are saying ewwwww it's EA, you did not see what Sony did to Galaxies then. I'm 50/50.

It's Bioware. Post-EA Bioware has given us Mass Effect 1-2 and Dragon Age so I'm hopeful this will at least offer some short-term fun.

I'd be buying it for the solo play / non-MMO content since I don't play MMOs.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
It's Bioware. Post-EA Bioware has given us Mass Effect 1-2 and Dragon Age so I'm hopeful this will at least offer some short-term fun.

I'd be buying it for the solo play / non-MMO content since I don't play MMOs.
I think that's the right attitude to have on this title: KOTOR 3 w/ co-op potential.

Hardcore MMO players are going to be disappointed because it's Bioware's first RPG and Bioware historically doesn't do grinding of any sort. Ultra casual/budget players are going to be disappointed because of the monthly fee. Everybody in the middle should get a good Bioware RPG with a ton of content.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
I finally saw the vids. First impressions:

- The game is pretty. Pretty fugly. I wonder if this is because they anticipate a port to console and don't want an obvious graphical gap?

- The action looks rather fantastic. It is fluid and simulates real fighting fairly well for an MMO. Very Star Wars-y shooting and saber sequences impressed me.

- Still, I also have a hard time with RPGs like this one still not having realistic cause and effect outcome with some of the fighting actions, like a human getting fried in the face by a flame thrower weapon for five seconds and only suffers from a loss of hit-points while he fights unimpaired. I know it's a gameplay balance issue, but it looks jarring in this day and age.

- A.I. is kinda stupid, the way that enemies in the visible distance just stand there as there buddies get beat down. I do like the blocking and defensive actions.

- The story feature looks compelling. I loved KOTOR more than most SW movies (never played the criticized sequel), and this is the best aspect of TOR so far ro me.

- I continue to wonder.... if I want to be a Bounty Hunter, can I fight for the Light Side (maybe undercover?) and try to defeat the Sith in story mode?

Feb 24, 2001
Why do people care so much about voiced dialog? I HATE not being able to skip it. It just doesn't add much for me.

If you have good writers, you don't need people doing voices. I can imagine the voice in my head, and read it about 10x faster than someone can speak it.

So in all my games now I get to hear "Oop" "Eeep" "Whaa" as I cut off the first word in each sentence.

Do it like Planescape, give me a few grunts and let me imagine the rest, it's far better than the crap most people try and do. Or don't spend so fucking much on "talent" like Capt Picard and then kill the retard.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
- I continue to wonder.... if I want to be a Bounty Hunter, can I fight for the Light Side (maybe undercover?) and try to defeat the Sith in story mode?
I don't know if you can "switch" sides per se (you'll stay in your own world), but I'm sure there will be Light Side *and* Dark Side options for all characters, no matter what faction you're with.

For a taste of what the storylines and characters are going to be like, check out the official webcomic. Three "Acts" have been released so far, wrapping up the first major plot arc of the thing. We see a bounty hunter, a Republic trooper, and examples of all four Jedi/Sith classes -- including a Jedi who's gone Dark Side and a Sith who's grey, maybe verging on Light Side. There are a couple of companions (a droid originally meant to spy on the character, a Force-brainwashed wookiee) and a hint of romance. And, oh yeah, one of the main characters is the descendant of Revan and Bastila.

The webcomic art isn't great, but it's a nice appetizer.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

No. You will be able to make light side choices playing on the Sith side, but the Republic wouldn't employ a bounty hunter. Scoundrel is the closest you would get. Too much lore to do something like that.

I will wait and see what the game is like, but I am still not convinced that you can play through and finish a complete story line using only your character and computer generated characters as in a single player RPG. We will see if this is true despite what Bioware says.

When I started playing MMOs that was my mindset also. Now solo content is overwhelmingly boring as hell. I'm honestly concerned that they may have went too far in the direction it seems you are hoping they took. I'd rather level with someone else, if not a full party. Way more enjoyable experience to me to be chatting about last nights game or whatever else in Vent while banging out another quest trying to get to endgame.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Has there been any mention of adding space battles into this? Kind like tacking a TIE Fighter like game onto it?

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Has there been any mention of adding space battles into this? Kind like tacking a TIE Fighter like game onto it?
Not that I know of. Jump to Lightspeed was a mixed success at best for Star Wars Galaxies and highlighted some of the problems with the idea:

- Shift from strategic RPG combat to twitch skill combat means space combat is either too hard or too easy for most. RPGs don't take very much twitch skill which means they are accessible to a wide range of people. Adding a twitch dynamic on top of that means that it has to be pretty easy (otherwise huge segments would be completely unable to play it) but that means it's way too easy for hardcore gamers.

- It's hard to combine ground based rewards with space based rewards in a way that provides incentives for players to pursue both. In other words, while space combat might develop your pilot skills it's hard to make that a benefit to your traditional MMO combat capabilities and vice versa. As a result players tended to ignore the half of the game that they cared less about (JTL) because it didn't make their characters stronger on the planets.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Why do people care so much about voiced dialog? I HATE not being able to skip it. It just doesn't add much for me.

If you have good writers, you don't need people doing voices. I can imagine the voice in my head, and read it about 10x faster than someone can speak it.

So in all my games now I get to hear "Oop" "Eeep" "Whaa" as I cut off the first word in each sentence.

Do it like Planescape, give me a few grunts and let me imagine the rest, it's far better than the crap most people try and do. Or don't spend so fucking much on "talent" like Capt Picard and then kill the retard.

I was originally of a similiar opinion. Playing Dragon Age really changed my ideas about voicing, as it was done incredibly well there, and was a serious game asset. Unlike Oblivion, say.

My beefs with it are that it makes changing or adding things to the script very difficult. You can't just write up a change and plonk it in, or easily make an add on. And it is relatively time consuming and expensive to do.

If they don't have alternative voices for the characters, that's another strike against it. From what I have heard of the game so far, I would not ever play a bounty hunter, as he sounds like the worst sort of wannabee Wolverine fanboy.

It can be done well, but is it worth the effort? Obviously, they think so.

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
From what I have heard of the game so far, I would not ever play a bounty hunter, as he sounds like the worst sort of wannabee Wolverine fanboy.
You could always play a female bounty hunter... It won't be Jennifer Hale, though, as I'm pretty sure she's in as Satele Shan.

Aug 11, 2008
When I started playing MMOs that was my mindset also. Now solo content is overwhelmingly boring as hell. I'm honestly concerned that they may have went too far in the direction it seems you are hoping they took. I'd rather level with someone else, if not a full party. Way more enjoyable experience to me to be chatting about last nights game or whatever else in Vent while banging out another quest trying to get to endgame.

I still prefer to play alone without having to pair up with someone (dont have to find someone of the same ability, arrange times to play, etc). This is just my personal preference. If you prefer to join another person or a party, that is fine too.

The only place I would disagree with you would be in that you imply that all single player games are boring. I dont see how you can say KOTOR 1 or Mass Effect 1 and 2 or the Modern Warfare 1 single player campaign are boring. Maybe poorly designed single player games are boring, but so are poorly desinged MMOs.

I also would have liked to have a single player game to finish the story line of KOTOR 1 and 2, which TOR obviously cannot do since it is set in a different time altogether.