Star Wars:TOR, EA's most expensive game ever

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
It will do well. Galaxies was a lacklustre MMO from what I hear but it still did well. If they can top it, which they definitely will, this will probably become the next WoW. Star Wars has a massive fan base that hasn't seen a decent game in two years so far.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
The problem with this game is it's EA developing it. While they have the money to do it, they certainly don't have the will to support the end users. If you can't run the game due to hardware problems, too bad. They won't help you. Go take a gander at the EA forums and you'll see 1000s of people complaining of no technical support for their games. Then EA forum stoogies just delete support problems and threads about lack of game support. That's how they support their games. And then they close down servers due to lack of players that players can't even log into, because of bugs, like Mercenaries 2. How funny is that? No patches were ever released for Mercenaries 2 on PC, and I got that game last month and it will not run or finish loading. Yet they shut down Pandemic. And now EA even released another game under the Pandemic banner, with no support at all called The Saboteur.

http://www.actiontrip.com/link.phtml?http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates

The Star Wars game will invariably fail like Tabula Rosa did, but they might keep it on life support for 2 or 3 years before they pull the plug and run out of suckers to try it and play it, just like SONY's SWG and Atari's STO will if Atari don't pull their heads out of their butts and listen to their fan base, and fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabula_Rasa_%28video_game%29

Give this game to Blizzard and they would make a game worthy of paying to play it. Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the fall of Bioware, just like EA recently killed off Pandemic. After paying an insane 860 million for these 2 software companies just 2 years ago. Which was WAY more than they were worth. But I heard the CEO of EA made out like a bandit on the deal, since he had stock in the holding company that EA bought out. Of course EA's stock then crashed into the toilet after the fact, but I guess the shareholders were too afraid of EA to do anything about it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180818.html

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That shows how out of the loop I am.
I thought this freakin game was already out and I just havent seen it.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
The biggest thing holding back this game to me is the fact it is Star Wars, I'm not a big SW fan at all. If this was like an Mass Effect Online MMO I would be salivating at every drop of info that gets out.

As it is, I just feel meh, the ONLY reason I even cared about it to any degree is because Bioware is making it.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Gigantic Fanboi spotted, no further attention to posts necessary
No kidding. The ignore list function is awesome.

A number of the Mass Effect and Dragon Age writers have been working on this of late. It's going to be good despite everything.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I thought those golden boys over at BioWare was doing it? So EA is just the publisher...

Anyway it looks and sounds pretty amazing to me, but you never know how they'll turn out.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Voice Acting by professional actors = a lot of money - and from what we've seen - *everything* is voice acted in this game.

SWG was awesome - total sandbox MMO where you could do whatever the hell you wanted...and I think a lot of people didn't like that - they'd rather be told what to do and where to go [ie: WoW]. I liked SWG right up until player jedi were announced [playing a jedi was cool - but it ruined the social aspect of the MMO - and led to the eventual failure of the combat revamp and the total screwed up revamp of the game itself]

I think the quests in this MMO will be nothing short of amazing [amazing story, voice acting, etc] - however, the survivability [and subscription base] will be determined by what happens after the quests are done - "the end game":

-content updates/additions
-PVE areas - raids/dungeons/daily quests/etc
-PVP zones/battlefields
-Socializing/trade/crafting

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I thought those golden boys over at BioWare was doing it? So EA is just the publisher...
Did you notice it's a MMO? EA has infinite chances to fuck it up after Bioware has finished initial development.

That said, I'd be surprised if it is a worthwhile game to begin with. Bioware's strengths - story, characters - are pretty much irrelevant to a MMORPG if it is anything like the present ones.

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
Did you notice it's a MMO? EA has infinite chances to fuck it up after Bioware has finished initial development.

That said, I'd be surprised if it is a worthwhile game to begin with. Bioware's strengths - story, characters - are pretty much irrelevant to a MMORPG if it is anything like the present ones.

Is it an MMO? I know they keep calling it an MMO, but all the gameplay footage I've seen has never shown more than a handful of players at once. Didn't they call NWN an MMO too? I don't think they know what that first M stands for.

Last edited:

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Is it an MMO? I know they keep calling it an MMO, but all the gameplay footage I've seen has never shown more than a handful of players at once. Didn't they call NWN an MMO too? I don't think they know what that first M stands for.

I'm not sure you're familiar with what an MMO is..

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously.

That does not mean that hundreds or thousands of players play together.

The gameplay footage shows a handful of players for multiple reasons. The primary ones are probably:

(1) Its alpha phase.... i doubt they have thousands of players testing it.

(2) Its footage designed to show gameplay interaction between a character/or characters and the NPC/Environment. This doesnt work well if there's hundreds of noobs in the frame mucking stuff up.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

D.I.C.E. isn't building the online portion of the game :p

EA has loads of cash, I don't see how the hell they can screw up the sever end of things.

How can you say story and characters are irrelevant to an MMO? That's what draws everyone into the Star Wars environment.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I'm guess I'm not surprised to see a lot of ridiculous opinions in this thread but for a game that so many of us have been waiting years for it's strange to see that majority seems to know almost nothing about it.

SlickSnake said:
The problem with this game is it's EA developing it...Wars: The Old Republic will be the fall of Bioware, just like EA recently killed off Pandemic.
You don't need to go back to Pandemic, be it Saboteur or Mercs 2. Bioware and EA have released several games together very recently (Dragon's Age, Mass Effect 2) so why not discuss them? They are infinitely more relevant to this discussion than Tabula Rasa. I've found both games exceptionally well done, so if you haven't had a chance to check them out I recommend both.

Kaotik said:
If this was like an Mass Effect Online MMO I would be salivating at every drop of info that gets out... As it is, I just feel meh, the ONLY reason I even cared about it to any degree is because Bioware is making it.
Did you ever play KOTOR? Many people consider it to have one of the better storylines of any Bioware game. The Star Wars IP is just the background and Bioware has the freedom to take their stories in whichever direction they want due to setting them several thousand years before the films.

Pia said:
You really think Bioware isn't going to be the prime after launch day? That's completely ridiculous.

Pia said:
Bioware's strengths - story, characters - are pretty much irrelevant to a MMORPG if it is anything like the present ones.
I would think this would make you wonder how SW:ToR may be different from "the present ones" and maybe read one of the many articles out there explaining how Bioware is planning to implement their systems in an MMO. I guess it was the path of least resistance for you to just conclude the game would suck instead, but was a post really the right way to notify us of that?

SWG was awesome - total sandbox MMO where you could do whatever the hell you wanted...
I liked SWG a lot too but it's worth emphasizing that SW:ToR will have nothing remotely in common with SWG besides the IP. SW:ToR will instead be highly scripted throughout with features like fully voiced NPCs, colloborative cutscenes, companion characters, and an influence system. In that sense, it's really KOTOR 3 with multiplayer and a monthly subscription fee.