Star Wars: Rebels

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Star Wars kinda is what got me interested in geopolitics, and now that I've read about it, it is kinda sad just how bad Star Wars handles geopolitics. Like, they have no idea how nationalism works or how empires work. They have no idea on how to construct the Jedi order or why they are supposed to be celibate. The empire is cartoonly bad, the rebels are always good and always the same underdog, the depiction of the Sith is like Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Everything outside of the shows and movies handle it better. I think the closest we've gotten to the rebels being underhanded for the cause was the male lead in Rogue One shooting a Rebel informant before he could be captured by Stormtroopers. In the comics the Empire frames the Rebels as terrorists in their propaganda, with the Empire being the so called instrument of the people to quash said insurgents.

As for Jedi, they are not celibate but they cannot form attachments. They're like the Night's Watch where everyone seems to have a love interest and and is scoring on the side (if the expanded universe is any indication) but act like they don't. The code was basically written by George to be wrong. He wrote the Jedi to not so much to be the champions of truth and justice so much as the other side of the coin the Sith occupy with hypocrisy all their own.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Everything outside of the shows and movies handle it better. I think the closest we've gotten to the rebels being underhanded for the cause was the male lead in Rogue One shooting a Rebel informant before he could be captured by Stormtroopers. In the comics the Empire frames the Rebels as terrorists in their propaganda, with the Empire being the so called instrument of the people to quash said insurgents.

As for Jedi, they are not celibate but they cannot form attachments. They're like the Night's Watch where everyone seems to have a love interest and and is scoring on the side (if the expanded universe is any indication) but act like they don't. The code was basically written by George to be wrong. He wrote the Jedi to not so much to be the champions of truth and justice so much as the other side of the coin the Sith occupy with hypocrisy all their own.

Not really. I played through Star Wars old Republic. The first two RPG games actually have a good understanding of it, but the MMO got really stupid, especially the expansion packs which are just utterly stupid.

But spoiler, the Jedi are kinda like a cross between the Ottoman Janissary corps and Samurai. The Ottomans filled the Janissaries by stealing children from Christian peoples, mainly in the Balkan areas. They were raised to be elite administrators and were without attachments so that they could be neutral arbiters of the state and not play favorites. Any children they had simply became citizens and were not allowed to be Jannisaries. Towards the end of the Ottoman empire, one Sultan finally decided to literally...kill them all, and that was the end of the Janissary corps.

Reactions: Charmonium

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Well that may be the single weirdest episode of the entire series. Possibly two series, depending on how much TCW's force shenanigans weirded you out.

That was easily the best Droid episode of Rebels. The Droids actually did something meaningful and wasn't 22 minutes of wacky hijinks. But man, AP-5 singing? A ship full of monotone Imperial hackers? If nothing else, bonus points for trying something different...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Well that may be the single weirdest episode of the entire series. Possibly two series, depending on how much TCW's force shenanigans weirded you out.

That was easily the best Droid episode of Rebels. The Droids actually did something meaningful and wasn't 22 minutes of wacky hijinks. But man, AP-5 singing? A ship full of monotone Imperial hackers? If nothing else, bonus points for trying something different...
feedback so powerful that it destroys the hacker ship.
wtfbbq JumpTheShark?! :(

up till that point, I liked it

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Take away Maul and the whole seasons has felt like filler. I'm going to go ahead and say it; Season 2 won't be topped.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I thought the feedback attack was pretty bogus too. There were so many other ways that story could have gone but they seem to have painted themselves into a corner with the plot. I guess that was intentional to get the most tension and suspense but it kinda falls flat when you do something that just screams bullsh**.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Well that was a little disappointing. They've been building up this duel all season and it ends like that? It was not nearly as good as Vader v Ahsoka. I feel like Maul is squandered this season. They could have moved him more to the center like Ahsoka and made him sort of an antihero betrayed by his master (as Ahsoka had been) and left to find a new purpose in the galaxy. Instead he's just a whiny bitch that gets gutted in three moves by Soresu. SORESU.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
That fight was call out to the fight between Maul and Gui Gon.
Maul used the same attack he used on Qui Gon against Kenobi, who just happened to switch his stance to Qui Gons stance.

Basically a fight between 2 old men where one had lost his mind years ago. It was kinda touching that last moment where Kenobi grabbed him as he fell.
That was also reminiscent of Kenobi's last moment with Gui Gon.

Filoni built the whole scene around how Kenobi and Maul began in episode 1.
I'm going to vote well done

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Ezra is fucking nuts for just walking away. He's been searching for OB1 for YEARS ever since he found that holocron. He also has history with Maul. I can't BELIEVE he went all that way, to tantooine, and even found the guy only to just walk away on a whim just as a duel between the two is about to break out. How did he even know Maul was dead at the end of the episode? He may have wanted to get back but if he had stayed even five seconds longer he could have gained valuable insight from Obiwan. Why was he even IN this episode??

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Ezra being there really throws the canon for a loop. How does kenobi know who he is? Does he know that Kanan in still alive? And the line in rotj about Luke being the last hope, now it implies that ezra and kanan are gone or that Kenobi is fixated on Luke as the chosen one

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Forgive my ignorance but I thought that Maul was killed in Episode III - apparently not but why was I thinking that? Wasn't there some epic battle between Anakin and Maul? Do I really have to watch that again?

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Forgive my ignorance but I thought that Maul was killed in Episode III - apparently not but why was I thinking that? Wasn't there some epic battle between Anakin and Maul? Do I really have to watch that again?
This better be a "Use the Force, Harry! -Gandalf" joke.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
only to just walk away on a whim just as a duel between the two is about to break out.
How did he even know Maul was dead at the end of the episode? He may have wanted to get back but if he had stayed even five seconds longer he could have gained valuable insight from Obiwan. Why was he even IN this episode??
probably snuck back to watch the fight.

and notice that when ezra was back at Phoenix base that he didn't mention OB1.
or if Kenan + crew knows about OB1 now, how does that secret not slip out?

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Dewbacks arent exactly rocket speed, in the minute or so it took Kenobi to dispatch Maul after Ezra left, he probably was still pretty close

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
I liked the space battle, but otherwise something was missing in the season finale. I don't know how to describe it; it just felt, I guess, conventional?

On the plus side, Thrawn was a badass to the end. I do regret however that he can't have the ultimate victory, since the main characters need to live to see another day. Instead we have the next best thing, which is that he's decimated Phoenix Squadron. Vader took out the command ship at the start of S2, but Thrawn essentially wiped it all out.

Speaking of which, I was surprised by how many people got offed, and among those who did and didn't go. Somehow through all of this Kallus is still alive, but Konstantine unexpectedly bit it. So is Sato and his carrier, which never did get enough action in Rebels. I guess that means Hera's in charge now.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I liked the space battle, but otherwise something was missing in the season finale. I don't know how to describe it; it just felt, I guess, conventional?

On the plus side, Thrawn was a badass to the end. I do regret however that he can't have the ultimate victory, since the main characters need to live to see another day. Instead we have the next best thing, which is that he's decimated Phoenix Squadron. Vader took out the command ship at the start of S2, but Thrawn essentially wiped it all out.

Speaking of which, I was surprised by how many people got offed, and among those who did and didn't go. Somehow through all of this Kallus is still alive, but Konstantine unexpectedly bit it. So is Sato and his carrier, which never did get enough action in Rebels. I guess that means Hera's in charge now.
kisscartoon down :(

hm.. Disney released e20 and 21 for the finale?

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Called it. I knew Season 3 could not equal the greatness of 2. Once again Thrawn gets thwarted by plot armor. Why in blazes did he halt his orbital bombardment? He stopped it just as the rebel shields were about ready to burn out. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Makes Thrawn seem like a dumbass.

I'm also disappointed that he did not use Kallous to the extend he suggested he would once he discovered his identity. It sounded like Thrawn was going to spoon feed Kallous false information to leak to the Rebels that would cause them to walk into a trap. But nay. I also didn't like the deus ex machina from Bendu. He seemed really out of character... Getting angry and going on a murderous rampage like that. And what is up with that lightning? The bolts he called down were enough to obliterate ray shielded AT ATs but it didn't make a dent in the Ghost. wtf?

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Called it. I knew Season 3 could not equal the greatness of 2. Once again Thrawn gets thwarted by plot armor. Why in blazes did he halt his orbital bombardment? He stopped it just as the rebel shields were about ready to burn out. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Makes Thrawn seem like a dumbass.
Tarkin ordered him to capture the cell leaders. Which is a convenient way of giving them plot armor.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

Dumbass or super secret squirrelly double agent whose true allegiance lies with the Rebels!

As for Darth Maul vs Obi-Wan
I still believe the "Old Wounds" comic short story handled it better.

It showed that Jedi and Sith were fallible even if formidable and showed some of Uncle Owen's reasons for not being in full endorsement (quite the opposite actually) of Luke's adventurous ways.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.384511624928542.82681.381888155190889&type=1

even the dialogue acknowledges this work when Ob-Wan speaks of taking care of an old wound

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Why in blazes did he halt his orbital bombardment? He stopped it just as the rebel shields were about ready to burn out. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Makes Thrawn seem like a dumbass.

He had no idea if the shield was going to stay up for much longer I would assume.

Think back to The Empire Strikes Back where they didn't even bother shooting the shield once.

The bolts he called down were enough to obliterate ray shielded AT ATs but it didn't make a dent in the Ghost. wtf?

Did they ever say they were ray shielded?

As far as I recall they really were only heavily armored.