Star Trek spoof The Orville (by Seth MacFarlane)

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I guess I'm one of the few that's been long tired of his "comedy" which is why I didn't think Ted was funny.

Reactions: Ichinisan

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I'd be willing to give it a shot - but then I am a glutton for punishment

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
looks interesting. could be good.

LOL Norm MacDonald as a blob.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
It had some moments: "Its an anti-banana ray". "Does it work on salad?". I laughed.
Fox needs to just rename itself to the Seth MacFarlane Channel.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
It could be fun. There's no space sci-fi shows on TV anymore, it's making fun of Star Trek, and it looks like it actually has a budget to work with. I know the Internet loves to hate everything new, but give it a chance.

Reactions: Thebobo

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
McFarlane is a huge Star Trek fan. He's been in a few episodes too. This looks actually pretty good. Not that dissimilar from Brooklyn 99, but obviously will have more of the family guy style humor. Could be good. I'll give it a try.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Might have potential.

I never got into Star Trek. All variants seemed unrealistically stiff; I only ever liked watching some episodes of TNG, though I watched the first few episodes of Enterprise and Voyager, and thought they were watchable, but I lost interest. I much preferred Battlestar Galactica (2005 series), Stargate (original and Atlantis), and Firefly - and possibly Farscape, which I never quite finished.

I'll give it a watch, but it's hard to tell if it's a sustainable parody, or hopefully more a good sci-fi dramedy series in its own right, like Red Dwarf.

I guess I'm one of the few that's been long tired of his "comedy" which is why I didn't think Ted was funny.

No, you're not the only one. I stopped watching Family Guy after a few seasons and never got into American Dad. Ted didn't look funny at all.

Last edited:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Jon Favreau's directing. Good sign, in my opinion. I think this series may mock sci-fi tropes - and you'd expect that from Seth Macfarlane - but will still have real action/drama worked throughout, a la Galaxy Quest. A straight-up parody won't last long and wouldn't be very good. Galaxy Quest was a parody that wasn't, and only had to last the length of a movie. So a trailer that isn't just stuffed with one-liners is a good thing.

It all comes down to the writing and execution, though. The casting could work for or against it. Comedians like Seth MacFarlane and Norm Macdonald often end up playing themselves, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in a parody movie, but could ruin a sci-fi show.

Last edited:

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
The concept is solid and honestly I love idea of it. Sadly I don't think Macfarlane is really that funny, less so when it's not his insert random object here humor. I'll watch the first episode, but if the trailer is really the best of it, I don't see it lasting long.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Did anyone watch Other Space? (Yahoo show). It was great. You can find it in the normal places. I was really hoping someone would pick it up for a second season.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

after family guy returned it was never the same. didn't find anything that followed to be funny - just rehashed jokes/skits that are played over and over

Reactions: Crono

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
That looks horrible.

If that trailer is any indication, it won't make it past the first season.

Here's hoping it's just a bad trailer.