Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It's bullshit. I don't blame the designers. They present ideas and drafts to CR. CR makes the ultimate decision. You'd think $188 million could buy some creativity and outside-the-box thinking. But no. They steal from something else.

The sad part is that they'll raise $2 million from the sale of the concept.

they worked directly off the eve ship. I do blame the designers. The whole thing is a scam. I was posting archered gifs 2 years ago.

anyone who has worked on this "game" has ruined their career.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I wanted everyone to request a refund a long while back. Sorry you lost but ponzi schemes will burn people.

that just got me thinking.
if somebody tries to sue there could be a hell of a lawsuit coming. Apparently there are quite a few rich bastards jumping on this game. i bet at least one of them can afford a decent team of lawyers for a protracted fight.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
that just got me thinking.
if somebody tries to sue there could be a hell of a lawsuit coming. Apparently there are quite a few rich bastards jumping on this game. i bet at least one of them can afford a decent team of lawyers for a protracted fight.

cig would go bankrupt before a payout. I doubt anyone would be able to go after the personal fortunes of the principle people. Look how many companies they made to move and hide the money. Impossible.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
so the whole copying a eve ship made this funny google thing happen...

WguCVmi.png

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Funny thing was it was leaked that SQ42 would end up at the end of 2017 and this was when it is early 2016. I chuckled, couldn't believe it. So many years (5-6) in development, so many mocap sessions, A-list actors, etc. you would think they could push out a turd for Episode 1. But alas, last week Roberts says "not my fault".

How in the hell do you piss away nearly $190 million dollars.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
having to pay that much for alpha access is an immediate red flag.

I've been loosely following this "experiment" for years now and, if it's even remotely accessible, comes off as a pipe dream and ripoff scheme of many other projects.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well they just confirmed it will not release in 2018. So , answer the call 2019 ?

Latest Reverse the Verse episode. CR himself said it (and he said it in passing, as if it was no big deal).

https://youtu.be/AMPTD3Dr4gE?t=50m19s

Im sorry at this point i dont know what to say.
This game has to be one of the biggest scams.

That is what i feel at this moment.

Its almost as bad as my tesla's full self drive feature which elon also keep saying soon.

You know what even if the game comes out i dont think i will be supporting them.
Why? because updates will drag on and on and on.
DLC's will not mean downloadable content... it will mean decade long congestion.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I asked this question on the other thread. I'm including werepossum's post that I replied to for context.

What I’ve seen is so spectacular that I think someone will release it, maybe after Roberts crashes and burns like Duke Nukem Forever. Only problem is all the people who are owed ships; that might well tip the balance from finishing the game to purchasing only the tech rights and using those for a new IP where they owe no one anything.

Would those ships be considered actual debt for the company?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

Im sorry at this point i dont know what to say.
This game has to be one of the biggest scams.

That is what i feel at this moment.

Its almost as bad as my tesla's full self drive feature which elon also keep saying soon.

You know what even if the game comes out i dont think i will be supporting them.
Why? because updates will drag on and on and on.
DLC's will not mean downloadable content... it will mean decade long congestion.

SQ42 has been in development for six years. A long time, for sure, but honestly not that long compared to some other games. As such, I'm not yet in the "this is a scam" camp. CIG's communication is atrocious and the "Answer the Call 2014" (and 2015, and 2016, and 2017) pages certainly lead people on. But that doesn't make it a scam. Just a poorly run company with bad marketing.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
1. They sold everyone everything in way of features. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the reason no other developers were giving you all of those features wasn't because of some boogyman publisher it was because the scope was too large to get done in a timeframe that kept the game viable.

2. Every pre-purchased ship is a liability. Any real company who pre sales a product sees this money as a liability until the product is shipped. There is even some accounting wizardry for it that I have no doubt cig and their 14 companies are taking advantage of.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
yeah, each sale is a liability. Also, all the potential core customers have already bought in, so no one would actually buy the game if it was actually released (it won't be).

It really looks like that all the shell companies were created to allow CR and his cronies to get huge loans. They've probably spent well over the $190 million, already

The end will most likely be the shell companies going bankrupt, one by one, as each company fails to service their loans

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Just checking in to say I'm glad I got out when I did. Made some decent profit on the packages I had purchased, but damn if this doesn't look bleaker as the days go on.

Reactions: IEC

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Did it start out as a scam? No.

Is it now a scam? Yes.

edit: And just to add, one has to wonder all those a-listers doing mocap footage in SQ42 years ago and what their contracts say.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'd say if you spent that much on a (very) unfinished game in the first place... well, you either have disposable income or are extremely misinformed.