Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
gamescom is right now. This is a rundown of the fake presentation from last year showing 3.0 (that still hasnt been released). There were many edit points in that video that I pointed out a year ago.

GAMESCOM 2016 ALPHA 3.0 PREVIEW

WAKE UP GET THE MISSION

0:49 start
1:09 - 1:37 - Message received
1:49 - - Check mission manager.
2:08 - Proceeds directly to the landing pad (without getting ship.)
3:08 - Arrives at landing pad, Chris awaits. Abrupt cut.

ENTERS SHIP / FLIGHT TO DELEMAR

3:49 - Enters Freelancer.
4:13 - Enters co-pilot’s seat.
4:28 - Departure.
5:10 - Starmap “Early work in progress” is opened.
6:15 - Delemar is selected as destination
6:16 - 6:38 Quantum Travel
6:39 - 7:38 - Flyby of orbital station
7:39 - 7:43 Quantum drive to Levski

ATMOSPHERIC DESCENT TO PLANET, BRIEF TOUR ON SURFACE

8:45 - 9:12 Entering atmosphere.
9:14 - Atmospheric flight model down to surface
10:39 - Landing and exit
11:28 - Ship moved twice because Chris couldn’t re-enter
12:13 - Re-entering Ship
12:27 - Back in co-pilot’s seat, flight follows
13:25 - Request landing
14:33 - Touchdown in Levski

SHIP EXIT / ELEVATOR / TOUR LOBBY / ELEVATOR TO BAZAAR

15:03 - Exits ship, which leaves.
16:00 - 16:18 Enters and exits airlock
16:26 - Calls elevator.
16:36 - Elevator arrives.
16:46 - Lobby Button pushed
16:54 - Exits elevator to lobby, tour
18:36 - Calls elevator
18:57 - Elevator arrives
19:02 - “Go Down” - an elevator with 5 floors doesn’t let you choose your floor? So presumably you have to “go down” 4 times?
19:30 - Elevator arrives, exit
20:20 - Begins descent into the bazaar. Tour begins.
22:24 - Finds cafe

MEET WITH MISSION GIVE IN CAFE

22:51 - Meets with mission giver. Finally.
23:35 - Mission description complete.
23:47 - Mobiglass consulted to check details of mission
24:25 - Close mobiglass
23:46 - Mission accepted (3000 aUEC is reward)
23:54 - Begins trek back to ship
26:00 - Elevator 1 ride begins
26:30— Elevator 1 ride ends
26:54 - Elevator 2 ride begins
27:11 - Elevator 2 ride ends
27:15 - Airlock
27:33 — Landing pad approach, mission check, ship leaves and returns
28:30 — Enters Freelancer

BACK IN FREELANCER

28:45 - Freelancer departure
30:35 - Quantum jump to asteroid field in search for missing Starfarer

ASTEROID FIELD- COMBAT

31:23 - Pirates arrive yet do not attack. One is destroyed instantly.
32:38 - Second pirate destroyed. Neither attacked the player.

EXIT FREELANCER / APPROACHING

33:00 - Approach the Starfarer.
33:41 - EVA exit to ship. Searching for entrance.
35:17 — Enters ship through hole
35:32 — Pirate encountered, kills 1, search continues
37:10 - Blackbox retrieved (!)
37:50 - New message received from Miles
38:41 - Message completed - 3000 Credits received
39:07 - New mission accepted, exit begins
40:08 - Pirate 2 encountered. Battle begins
40:41 - Pirate 2 killed, exit continues

DRAGONFLY

41:21 - Dragonfly discovered
41:47— Dragonfly boarded. {Players will surely not be able to gain free vehicles for performing missions, will they?)
42:04 - Heading to Freelancer
43:40 - Dragonfly enters Freelancer

DEPARTURE TO MOON

44:24 - Heading to moon. Pirate camp visible from space.
45:44 - Dragonfly flown out to moon.

COMBAT

46:20 - Combat with ground vehicle begins.
47:21 - First enemy killed after circle strafe shootout
48:55 - Second player exits vehicle, FPS shootout
50:00 - Freelancer finishes off second enemy
50:48 - Grabby hands of unidentified box on Moon bases.
51:34 - After walking from station, box dropped for player 2 to retrieve

SURPRISE

51:40 - New video message received
52:16 - Double cross revealed. 3 enemy ships fly into view, presumably to attack and retrieve cargo. Mission ends on cliffhanger, begging many questions about what remains to complete the mission, and how betrayal by a major mission giver will impact that player's relationship with that mission giver going forward.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
the procedural tech is fake...

5tARDOj.gif

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
So I'm not familiar with what exactly CIG has *claimed* their procgen does, but is this that surprising? I rather doubt it's feasible or desirable to have the whole terrain procedurally generated. I would expect they use it more as a tool. Hand craft a couple major features per planet, have a library of manipulable terrain tiles to procedurally backfill a large portion of what's left, use full procedural terrain gen to stitch everything together, do a cleanup pass by hand.

This particular example looks like a case of creating too large a terrain tile and overusing it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
So I'm not familiar with what exactly CIG has *claimed* their procgen does, but is this that surprising? I rather doubt it's feasible or desirable to have the whole terrain procedurally generated. I would expect they use it more as a tool. Hand craft a couple major features per planet, have a library of manipulable terrain tiles to procedurally backfill a large portion of what's left, use full procedural terrain gen to stitch everything together, do a cleanup pass by hand.

This particular example looks like a case of creating too large a terrain tile and overusing it.

sure. Lets go with that reason.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
How many jpegs do they plan to show and will they announce 5381 more features requiring another four decades of dev. time?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

This is actually in line with my understanding of the process, both pros and cons. When they say an artist can create a solar system in a week or so, that tells us that it isn't all procedurally generated, and also that is has to be heavily snatch and paste. And this sort of noticeable copying tiles is pretty much what I expected we'd get from that process, with that level of human capital expenditure. Of course, it's possible that in the future they will shrink the tiles or perhaps even vary the size for true fractal visuals.

Personally I don't see the result amounting to much within the next decade, but then I don't have extensive programming expertise or three quarters of a billion dollars. And as we all know, the first step in any paradigm-changing process is all the rest of us saying it can't be done. Of course, we're usually right . . . :D

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
so i'm watching some twitch stream of gamescon and it's a debacle

Could you please expand on this? I haven't seen anything on it, past the other thread saying they were doing code updates there on the fly

Tweets are coming out saying this is a pretty hefty 3.0 build.

Patching gamescom build live using delta patcher in the middle of playtime.

8d6yvyfyqahz.jpg

Unless I'm completely mis-reading this post, which is very possible..

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Could you please expand on this? I haven't seen anything on it, past the other thread saying they were doing code updates there on the fly

the scripted sell mo stuff demo crashed and they had to run through it again exactly as it was. The voip stuff ended up all being pre-recorded.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
the scripted sell mo stuff demo crashed and they had to run through it again exactly as it was. The voip stuff ended up all being pre-recorded.

Scripted. LOL. I don't think that word means what you think it does.

VOIP (FOIP/Faceware) pre-recorded = LOL.

This is how it ends guy.

BTW, despite the fact there was a single client who crashed (i.e. a bug), the overall presentation was strong. We got to see a general gameplay / game flow walkthrough of 3.0 (but that doesn't exist of course!), driving around, fighting, and landing on procedural planets (SMOKE AND MIRRORS SH#%IZENS!), oh, and not just a full capital ship working in game, but two of them fighting it out with multiple fighters was pretty glorious. Unscripted. Twice. :)

Not bad for an alpha that doesn't exist.

Also, they still need to fire whoever comes up with the player dialogs for these presentations. Worst industry trend ever.

And furthermore. As you were.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Scripted. LOL. I don't think that word means what you think it does.

VOIP (FOIP/Faceware) pre-recorded = LOL.

This is how it ends guy.

BTW, despite the fact there was a single client who crashed (i.e. a bug), the overall presentation was strong. We got to see a general gameplay / game flow walkthrough of 3.0 (but that doesn't exist of course!), driving around, fighting, and landing on procedural planets (SMOKE AND MIRRORS SH#%IZENS!), oh, and not just a full capital ship working in game, but two of them fighting it out with multiple fighters was pretty glorious. Unscripted. Twice. :)

Not bad for an alpha that doesn't exist.

Also, they still need to fire whoever comes up with the player dialogs for these presentations. Worst industry trend ever.

And furthermore. As you were.

It was pre-recorded. When the game crashed when they ran thru doing the exact same things they did before to trigger all the scripts the voip stuff was identical. Also the parking of the car thing in the ship was identicle.

It's as fake as last years 3.0 demonstration.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
My favorite thing about Star Citizen is that every discussion is either a delusional circle jerk about what the game promises or a circle jerk that the whole thing is a scam.

I think we all consider it additional fun :D I enjoy this banter with JSt0rm, he's an upstanding fellow.

It was pre-recorded. When the game crashed when they ran thru doing the exact same things they did before to trigger all the scripts the voip stuff was identical. Also the parking of the car thing in the ship was identicle.

It's as fake as last years 3.0 demonstration.

They were demoing it live. Seriously, try harder. Like, think it over for the night and get back to me. There's plenty of other cringe-worthy moments in that presentation without having to knee jerk into SMOKE AND MIRRORS SH#%IZENS!!!11 mode. I mean, I get it, every live demo and subsequent patch is destroying your (collective you) FUD campaign, but for reals broskii.

Also, the Connie's ramp barely fits the Ursa. You're only parking it one way lol. Fitting a vehicle inside another isn't scripted, it's been done countless times live, even in 2.6, and the livestream even showed them shoving a Nox inside an Ursa. And furthermore. This is how it ends guy.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Maybe it's because I work in content but it's clear as day it was a scripted event. The angle on the view of the front of the car thing parked was identicle both times. It was also identicle banter.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Also, not gonna lie... the Faceware thing pisses me off. More tech / cool features distracting from delivering an actual fucking game.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
yeeeeeeeeeeeees?
https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticColorfulShrewUnSane

I wasn't impressed, they added in that useless foip (why?), the fps portions look bad. It's like they take 2 steps back for every step they take forward when they keep adding all these useless things to the game that needlessly complicate things. I also loved the physics when the two space ships collided...so lifelike

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Also, not gonna lie... the Faceware thing pisses me off. More tech / cool features distracting from delivering an actual fucking game.

What's a little more engineering debt on the mountain they already have? The point is to keep people excited about buying jpegs.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticColorfulShrewUnSane

I wasn't impressed, they added in that useless foip (why?), the fps portions look bad. It's like they take 2 steps back for every step they take forward when they keep adding all these useless things to the game that needlessly complicate things. I also loved the physics when the two space ships collided...so lifelike

Everyone who knew anything has left already. That's why you see it degrade over time.

Cig is the laughing stock of the game industry. Only people who love the game concept and have never worked in the industry believe at this point.