Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
moar: This time ingame...

YI1lymj.jpg

8aOjsBy.jpg

https://www.123rf.com/photo_14643700_best-price-guarantee.html

horrible, you can clearly see the 123rf watermark.
crazy a company that sells jpegs cant be bothered to buy them.

a4rxxJR.jpg

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This have anything to do with watermarks or jpegs? I don't have the time to sit through YouTube vids from years ago.. please sum up.

the link is timestamped. Its croberts basically saying yes to anything. In this case its vr.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Huh, it seems there's still no progress towards a real game...

Been a while.

I think CR might get in serious legal trouble from the shell corporations and those companies' financing. They have over a dozen different companies in 3 different countries and 2 US states, so they have to comply with 4 different set of regulations. F42 wasn't meeting the financial disclosures requirements of the UK.

It's presumed that, like most companies, instead of just spending their cash as it came in, they saved it and then took out loans to better plan their expenditures. Having all the shell corporations would help them shift cash between entities to inflate their cash on hand to apply for bigger loans. If it comes out that they applied for this financing with inflated user numbers or financial numbers, or lied about other parts of the development, then they committed fraud against people with the resources to come after them.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Huh, it seems there's still no progress towards a real game...

Been a while.

I think CR might get in serious legal trouble from the shell corporations and those comapany's financing. They have over a dozen different companies in 3 different countries and 2 US states, so they have to comply with 4 different set of regulations. F42 wasn't meeting the financial disclosures requirements of the UK.

It's presumed that, like most companies, instead of just spending their cash as it came in, they saved it and then took out loans to better plan their expenditures. Having all the shell corporations would help them shift cash between entities to inflate their cash on hand to apply for bigger loans. If it comes out that they applied for this financing with inflated user numbers or financial numbers, or lied about other parts of the development, then they committed fraud against people with the resources to come after them.

Oh it wont be pretty. I imagine new crowdfunding laws to stop other snake oil salesmen from coming into town and promising the moon and the stars.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Oh it wont be pretty. I imagine new crowdfunding laws to stop other snake oil salesmen from coming into town and promising the moon and the stars.

It won't come from this. It would have to come from something that didn't remotely fulfill it's promises and somehow took enough from it's people to cause them damage. SC has produced a 'alpha' that, while is lacking a lot of the draws, would be enough to state the people got something. Not to mention, it's still such a niche thing that I can't image people outside of it's fans (or anti-fans) really are going to care enough to make laws.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It won't come from this. It would have to come from something that didn't remotely fulfill it's promises and somehow took enough from it's people to cause them damage. SC has produced a 'alpha' that, while is lacking a lot of the draws, would be enough to state the people got something. Not to mention, it's still such a niche thing that I can't image people outside of it's fans (or anti-fans) really are going to care enough to make laws.

That will be the argument in court for sure.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
That will be the argument in court for sure.

If it ends up in court I do admit I'm interesting in seeing that case unfold. I do, however doubt it'll get there. The only way I could see it not quickly being swept away with a refund is a class action, but even then there would have to be real damages. This game doesn't really fit that mold.. now if they fold under and this 'alpha' is the best we're going to get, then yeah, it's open.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
but its not even an alpha. There is no vertical slice of every feature yet.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

No they have not, they have at most released a pre alpha or prototype stage of software. Alphas well not 100% feature complete at least have a mostly complete game but with placeholder systems in place, you can still play an alpha start to finish albit with placeholders. beta is where all systems are in place and they are just fixing bugs, they are a LONG LONG way from beta, and not yet even in alpha.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
We can all debate what is or is not an 'alpha'. It doesn't change my point, which is as long as they continue to show progress, no matter how slow, odds it won't end up in some class action lawsuit, let alone cause new laws for crowdfunding to be created. To be clear though, when I refer to the SC "alpha" I'm referring to the software they've released which they've named "alpha". Regardless of what's normally considered an 'alpha' in design, it's what they called it so it's all I can refer to it as without confusion.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
They call it a thing to confuse and obsfucate the issues. It's all smoke and mirrors. 3.0 demo was a fake and during this next year you will see another amazing "demo" because it's worked in the past to make sales.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
They call it a thing to confuse and obsfucate the issues. It's all smoke and mirrors. 3.0 demo was a fake and during this next year you will see another amazing "demo" because it's worked in the past to make sales.

OK... still doesn't change what my point was.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
they cant show progress forever. Some point soon the layoffs will begin.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Wouldn't it be something if this whole Star Citizen thing was the Elio Motors of the gaming industry. If two of the largest crowd funded business crashed and burned that would really set some regulation in place.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
3.0 was fake just as I said in the other thread. I got piled on by the star citizen hardcores but time has proven me correct.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
TheAgent posted:
hello
  • 3.0 will arrive this year
  • in the first release, there will be a planetary landing mode accessible from the main screen (or space stations)
  • you will not be able to fly down to the planet from space
  • there will be rovers akin to the mako for ground exploration
  • desert planet populated with several small oasis
  • playable space is less than 100km2
  • 3.0 will include a new player inventory
  • no new ship inventory in this release
  • mining will be available
  • player to player trading is not available in this release
  • crafting will not be in this release
  • the planet will only hold 32 players
  • the planet will be instanced
  • currently no ground combat npcs or other life
  • the planet will not track changes made by players
  • this will be the only planet available for this release
  • will feature 3 distinct, hand crafted outposts with new quests
  • players will not be able to go underwater (unsure if this means no water or that they can't get in water or what)
  • sqlude has been pushed to q1 2018
  • mocap cleanup still ongoing with "years" of manpower still to come
  • many npcs and quests from sq42 have been migrated to SC, as SC specific quests (3.0 planet will feature these)

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
TheAgent posted:
hello
  • 3.0 will arrive this year
  • in the first release, there will be a planetary landing mode accessible from the main screen (or space stations)
  • you will not be able to fly down to the planet from space
  • there will be rovers akin to the mako for ground exploration
  • desert planet populated with several small oasis
  • playable space is less than 100km2
  • 3.0 will include a new player inventory
  • no new ship inventory in this release
  • mining will be available
  • player to player trading is not available in this release
  • crafting will not be in this release
  • the planet will only hold 32 players
  • the planet will be instanced
  • currently no ground combat npcs or other life
  • the planet will not track changes made by players
  • this will be the only planet available for this release
  • will feature 3 distinct, hand crafted outposts with new quests
  • players will not be able to go underwater (unsure if this means no water or that they can't get in water or what)
  • sqlude has been pushed to q1 2018
  • mocap cleanup still ongoing with "years" of manpower still to come
  • many npcs and quests from sq42 have been migrated to SC, as SC specific quests (3.0 planet will feature these)

What is this?