Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 276 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
We may not need it. Besides 2.6, the evocati are also testing Spectrum. Spectrum is supposed to include in-game voice communication, Org forums, Org chat, better chat, forums like reddit with up/downvoting, etc., etc., etc.

We should know more soon....

The evocati are only testing the web version of Spectrum right now. I doubt we'll see voice communication with 2.6.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
My understanding:

There are only two types of fuel in SC: Quantum and "normal"

Quantum you can run out of and must purchase. Starfarers refine quantum.

Regular you can run out of. But you can refill it on your own with fuel scoops. As such, you'll never be completely stranded but you might have to limp to a station very slowly.

AB simply injects normal fuel into the engine to produce more thrust for faster acceleration. After you hit max speed (this replaces cruise mode) you no longer accelerate. But you continue to burn fuel as your engine idles. Once your scoops refill your fuel enough, you can AB again. However, after hitting max speed, you'll eventually slow down (space friction?) and need to AB again to get back up to max speed.

There isn't a separate "afterburner fuel"....

Again, just my understanding (and I could be wrong). I can't wait to try it.

Pretty spot on, only minor modifications:

- Afterburner refers to the main rear thruster(s)
- Boost has the same principles as afterburner, however it applies to your maneuvering thrusters. You can use boost with afterburner at the same time, however your fuel burn rate will obviously be higher.
- You will no longer artificially slow down at max cruise speed (I.e. no more space friction), however as I mentioned before you're still burning fuel (albeit at a very minor rate).

This is all per the last ATV. I haven't seen RTV yet.

I do like you mention of engine idle consuming fuel at max cruise, therefore explaining the draw. I guess you can explain it as fuel scoops can only be opened at SCM speeds.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
My understanding:

There are only two types of fuel in SC: Quantum and "normal"

Quantum you can run out of and must purchase. Starfarers refine quantum.

Regular you can run out of. But you can refill it on your own with fuel scoops. As such, you'll never be completely stranded but you might have to limp to a station very slowly.

AB simply injects normal fuel into the engine to produce more thrust for faster acceleration. After you hit max speed (this replaces cruise mode) you no longer accelerate. But you continue to burn fuel as your engine idles. Once your scoops refill your fuel enough, you can AB again. However, after hitting max speed, you'll eventually slow down (space friction?) and need to AB again to get back up to max speed.

There isn't a separate "afterburner fuel"....

Again, just my understanding (and I could be wrong). I can't wait to try it.
For normal (PRE/SCM/CRU) flight (at least now) you do not use any fuel.

Afterburner/Boost fuel is collected (scooped) from space (Hydrogen?) and replenished over time. Only consumed when using Boost or Afterburners.

Quantum Fuel, as you said, is different and you have to buy it.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
For normal (PRE/SCM/CRU) flight (at least now) you do not use any fuel.

Afterburner/Boost fuel is collected (scooped) from space (Hydrogen?) and replenished over time. Only consumed when using Boost or Afterburners.

Quantum Fuel, as you said, is different and you have to buy it.

Beat you to it ;). No more cruise mode 2.6+, replaced by using afterburner to achieve those speeds.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
You will no longer artificially slow down at max cruise speed (I.e. no more space friction), however as I mentioned before you're still burning fuel (albeit at a very minor rate).

Artificially slowing down isn't how I would put it. And it definitely wasn't friction. If you watched the outside of the ship you would see your retro thrusters slowing you down. It was commanded by IFCS. If you decoupled you wouldn't slow down at all. I coasted all the way across Yela like that with my throttle to zero.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Artificially slowing down isn't how I would put it. And it definitely wasn't friction. If you watched the outside of the ship you would see your retro thrusters slowing you down. It was commanded by IFCS. If you decoupled you wouldn't slow down at all. I coasted all the way across Yela like that with my throttle to zero.

Yes, sorry, that's with decoupled. IFCS will slow you down (and you'll see the retro thrusters). I thought that pre 2.6 even decoupled would slow down? I haven't played since 2.3 though so ?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Yes, sorry, that's with decoupled. IFCS will slow you down (and you'll see the retro thrusters). I thought that pre 2.6 even decoupled would slow down? I haven't played since 2.3 though so ?

That's not how it has been recently.

I have been watching the RTV from today and he said that some ships which are designed to be more cruisers could have scoops large enough to keep up with the fuel usage at top speed. That gives me hope that something like a Connie will be able to sustain it indefinitely.

Edit: Here's where it's mentioned that some ships could do this indefinitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-UufOCNG_k#t=30m24s

I think the consumption is being blown out of proportion, and from a game design standpoint I can see where they're coming from with it. It will further differentiate ships into long range capable and short range ships.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLU Aequitas

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Cool, thanks. I was just reading that on Reddit too trying to figure out the position they're taking going forward. I agree, I think it'll add some improvement to the gameplay and help differentiate explorer ships from combat ships more (hopefully).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the clarifications on fuel. I've been trying to get a better understanding of these changes. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I find it fascinating that the biggest ships in the game are going to be the fastest.....but also take the longest to get up to that max speed.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I find it fascinating that the biggest ships in the game are going to be the fastest.....but also take the longest to get up to that max speed.

I hope that's just a generalization. Something like a Connie with huge engines should still have pretty good acceleration for its size. I'm willing to deal with the less than advertised maneuverability of a Connie if it's quick in a straight line for long distances. Could make it useful for running down fighters as well in a support role. If they're running away it can give chase with 4xS4s and two turrets brought to bear.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I hope that's just a generalization. Something like a Connie with huge engines should still have pretty good acceleration for its size. I'm willing to deal with the less than advertised maneuverability of a Connie if it's quick in a straight line for long distances. Could make it useful for running down fighters as well in a support role. If they're running away it can give chase with 4xS4s and two turrets brought to bear.

My understanding is that the bigger the hull, the higher the max speed. But also the longer duration to accelerate to max speed. This means your Connie can outrun an M50 in a straight line.....eventually. But it will take your Connie a lot longer to get to the speed at which it can out run that M50.

I think this makes for some interesting game play. If you're a hauler in Hull B, you know you can out run pirates in Hornets. But you also know you'll be under fire for awhile while you build speed. Do you lower your power to thrusters and increase shield power? If you do you'll be under fire for even longer but your shield might be able to weather the storm better. Or do you lower shield power and increase thruster power to get up to escape speed? Or do you route more power to weapons and try to smack your attackers around a bit to dissuade them?

What is unknown to me is the impact of mass on acceleration. Does a fully loaded Hull B take longer to get up to max speed (due to more mass) than an empty one? I hope so.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
My understanding is that the bigger the hull, the higher the max speed. But also the longer duration to accelerate to max speed. This means your Connie can outrun an M50 in a straight line.....eventually. But it will take your Connie a lot longer to get to the speed at which it can out run that M50.

I get that, but what I'm saying is that this shouldn't be a flat linear relationship across the board. Different hulls are different with different intended pros and cons. Yes, the Connie is a bit "larger" and won't be able to move as fast as a Bengal or a Carrack, but it should still be pretty quick at top speed. At the same time, it has massive engines for its hull mass and using a=(F/m) it should accelerate strongly. If it doesn't, yet again they're missing the point of various ships' roles and handwaiving their way through the physics calculations. It would be in the same vein as the weakly armed Caterpillar that's about to come out. A Connie's stock loadout is more powerful by yards, for a smaller ship. They already have nerfed the Connie's SCM speeds into oblivion with 2.6 and I can live with that if it can punch it up to top speed like it by all rights should be able to with 4xTR5s.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
And so the leaking on content/breaking of NDA begins! :)

Unless the Hull B turns out cooler, this is my dream ship for the cargo haulers.

This wasn't an NDA breach. The guy used a launcher tweak to get the 2.6 build and hacked it into working. He isn't an Evocati.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Found this lurking in my screenshot folder. Get some hype for 2.6!

12L7dhE.jpg

Reactions: TechBoyJK

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Lots of leaks rolling out of this off-line hack. They're not under NDA so I take no issue with posting them.

I wouldn't be surprised if next Evocati round they use a modified launcher entirely to get around this. That, or they really don't care that much.

Also, here's preview of the player scanning mechanic. I'm not sure if it's just a place holder like the one for ships will be before more complex scanning is implemented. The visual effect is neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr5eCI-jLqs

I've also seen some actual Evocati SM play tests. I'm liking what I'm seeing. A few stutters to work out and it seems grenade explosions induce a very brief lag, but it's looking good.

Reactions: SLU Aequitas

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
That could be because they intend to keep old (current) 300 series, old Aurora series and old Hornets models in-game, with only minor adjustments (such as re-made damage states).

The re-designed 300, Aurora and Hornet ships will come later, as Mk. II. And the current owners might not get them.

Yesterday on RTV Chris Smith confirmed the redone Hornet he just finished will be available to all current Hornet owners. Next is the F8. He moves on to the 300 series after that.

Edit:. Further clarification, this was corroborated by Lando via Tyler right before Chris elaborated. The existing model will be replaced by the redone model.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Yesterday on RTV Chris Smith confirmed the redone Hornet he just finished will be available to all current Hornet owners. Next is the F8. He moves on to the 300 series after that.

Edit:. Further clarification, this was corroborated by Lando via Tyler right before Chris elaborated. The existing model will be replaced by the redone model.
They confirmed that the current owners of Hornet Mk I will automatically (and for free) get the polished Hornet Mk I (the Hornet shown in the latest Around the Verse video is still Mk I, but updated to current standards). Not Hornet Mk II. This is exactly what I was saying will happen.

We were shown the Mk II for military version of the Hornet (F7A) a few weeks ago. The civilian Hornet will also get a Mk II.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
They confirmed that the current owners of Hornet Mk I will automatically (and for free) get the polished Hornet Mk I (the Hornet shown in the latest Around the Verse video is still Mk I, but updated to current standards). Not Hornet Mk II. This is exactly what I was saying will happen.

We were shown the Mk II for military version of the Hornet (F7A) a few weeks ago. The civilian Hornet will also get a Mk II.

Then I was misunderstanding you earlier. I see now. If that's how they're going about it then fine. As long as they keep an upgrade reasonable or even for the CCU I don't mind. If the old models are polished they'll fit in and it adds depth to the universe.