Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 275 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
The FPS module is a 'simulation'. It's not for missions. It's basically Unreal Tournament.

It's for FPS fighting without the need to login to the PU, taxi your ship, fly somewhere and start a fight. If I want to go to Kareah for FPS, it can take me 15 minutes to get inside, only to be shot and have to start over.

Just like Arena Commander, Star Marine is for instant action.

That and metrics/balance passes.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I'm still not getting the purpose of the FPS module. I get the idea there will be missions to complete like the above video but what happens when you die, do you only have one life to complete the mission? Same with boarding a ship, do you only have one life? What happens to your ship? What happens if 3 Ballers are defending a ship and 2 die?

Star Marine is an in-fiction video game, similar to what Arena Commander is. It allows us to test out the FPS mechanics in a dedicated setting, similar to how Arena Commander allows us to test out space combat in a dedicated setting. No "real world" (as in, the PU) consequences to worry about.

Feb 4, 2009
The FPS module is a 'simulation'. It's not for missions. It's basically Unreal Tournament.

It's for FPS fighting without the need to login to the PU, taxi your ship, fly somewhere and start a fight. If I want to go to Kareah for FPS, it can take me 15 minutes to get inside, only to be shot and have to start over.

Just like Arena Commander, Star Marine is for instant action.
Star Marine is an in-fiction video game, similar to what Arena Commander is. It allows us to test out the FPS mechanics in a dedicated setting, similar to how Arena Commander allows us to test out space combat in a dedicated setting. No "real world" (as in, the PU) consequences to worry about.

I'm talking about when the game releases.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
in regards to FPS in the PU? Then yes. the same rules apply to death as it does when in comes to dog fighting (or exploration gone wrong for that matter). There's a letter by Roberts called Death of a Spaceman that details conceptually how the game is going to handle death and injury. It's an older article but I haven't heard anything that goes against what is laid out in it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'm talking about when the game releases.

It will be the same when the game releases as it is now. A simulation for combat training, whether for ships or FPS - the intent is to allow you to train in those scenarios without dying and losing property.

IMO, it is a very important component of the game. I personally love AC matches, and I'm not always going to have time to jump into the PU to take on some big mission or what have you. AC lets you experiment and learn how a combat systems work in action without having to worry about losing your life or ship every time you make a mistake.

I'm very excited for Star Marine. Right now, it just isn't worth it to spend 15 minutes getting to a station just to get shot trying to get in the door. Don't really learn much about the FPS mechanics that way.

Feb 4, 2009
It will be the same when the game releases as it is now. A simulation for combat training, whether for ships or FPS - the intent is to allow you to train in those scenarios without dying and losing property.

IMO, it is a very important component of the game. I personally love AC matches, and I'm not always going to have time to jump into the PU to take on some big mission or what have you. AC lets you experiment and learn how a combat systems work in action without having to worry about losing your life or ship every time you make a mistake.

I'm very excited for Star Marine. Right now, it just isn't worth it to spend 15 minutes getting to a station just to get shot trying to get in the door. Don't really learn much about the FPS mechanics that way.

Maybe an opportunity for the Ballers to gather?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
At that point it's just for fun/practice if you want to dive in without the potential of losing your character.

It also plays a part in the PU: entertainment. There will be eSports tournaments in AC/SM within the PU. These will be events to watch (in the PU), bet on, develop lore, etc.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I think so - hopefully private lobbies will be a thing (perhaps already are? I haven't looked into it).

This, and match-making, are supposed to come with 2.6. So we'll know more in a few weeks!

I know most people are more excited about 3.0, but it appears (to me) that CIG crammed a LOT more into 2.6 than what many people think. It's a big deal (and not just because of SM).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Interesting glimpse at the SCM changes and new boost/afterburner. I'm still a bit cautious about the changes, but I'm interested to try them.

I don't know why slowly rotating asteroid gave me goose bumps.....but they did.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I don't know why slowly rotating asteroid gave me goose bumps.....but they did.

That part took me back about 15 years or so. It put me in mind of Rogue Squadron II on the Gamecube. There was a level with lots of spinning asteroids that was pretty awesome graphics for the time.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
That part took me back about 15 years or so. It put me in mind of Rogue Squadron II on the Gamecube. There was a level with lots of spinning asteroids that was pretty awesome graphics for the time.

What I want to know is if I can make them spin faster with gun fire.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Production schedule got updated today. We're looking at 12/16/16 for live now. PTU invites starting on Monday.....

Feb 4, 2009
Production schedule got updated today. We're looking at 12/16/16 for live now. PTU invites starting on Monday.....

Do you have a summary of the new PTU?

Does any Baller have a decent sized teamspeak account for a potential future fight night?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Do you have a summary of the new PTU?

The evocati release notes are still under NDA. They stepped up their game on preventing leaks this time around, so we don't know the minutia of the changes. We do know it includes Star Marine and serious changes to the flight model characteristics.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
One thing I picked up is that they're moving the flight model away from 'friction'... which they consider a bug in space. So it would make sense that once you afterburn up to cruise speed, things will stay that way until you stop.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
One thing I picked up is that they're moving the flight model away from 'friction'... which they consider a bug in space. So it would make sense that once you afterburn up to cruise speed, things will stay that way until you stop.

Still not implemented correctly as afterburners continue to burn fuel while at max speed in a straight vector. They said it's a small amount but still...(and the answer is probably gameplay balance).

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Still not implemented correctly as afterburners continue to burn fuel while at max speed in a straight vector. They said it's a small amount but still...(and the answer is probably gameplay balance).

The whole idea of afterburner fuel seems stupid to me anyway. It should just be an overdrive that is limited by heat soak.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
My understanding:

There are only two types of fuel in SC: Quantum and "normal"

Quantum you can run out of and must purchase. Starfarers refine quantum.

Regular you can run out of. But you can refill it on your own with fuel scoops. As such, you'll never be completely stranded but you might have to limp to a station very slowly.

AB simply injects normal fuel into the engine to produce more thrust for faster acceleration. After you hit max speed (this replaces cruise mode) you no longer accelerate. But you continue to burn fuel as your engine idles. Once your scoops refill your fuel enough, you can AB again. However, after hitting max speed, you'll eventually slow down (space friction?) and need to AB again to get back up to max speed.

There isn't a separate "afterburner fuel"....

Again, just my understanding (and I could be wrong). I can't wait to try it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Does any Baller have a decent sized teamspeak account for a potential future fight night?

We may not need it. Besides 2.6, the evocati are also testing Spectrum. Spectrum is supposed to include in-game voice communication, Org forums, Org chat, better chat, forums like reddit with up/downvoting, etc., etc., etc.

We should know more soon....