Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 273 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
A little late but I wanted to say thanks Seba and Rivethead for answering my questions about the cockpit view in the Avenger. I appreciate the candid advice and options you guys suggested.

Feb 4, 2009
A little late but I wanted to say thanks Seba and Rivethead for answering my questions about the cockpit view in the Avenger. I appreciate the candid advice and options you guys suggested.

bbhaag, are you in the AT Org? If not join up use the above linky.

Feb 4, 2009
No I'm not. I just looked into it but I'm wondering what it means when it says "Your application". Is there a form to fill out for this?

Nothing to fill out log into you Star Citizen account then click the button. We're a casual group.
Please post your star citizen name in this thread if its different than your AT name so we know who you are.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
So one of the best things about the anniversary sale is the chance to pick up $0 CCUs. Got one for changing my Gladius into a Hull B (and one to change it back).

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Got one? I "buy" $0 CCUs five at a time (maximum number per order is 5 of a certain type).

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
And what if after you switch back, CIG changes the ship and you end up wanting the other one again? Wait 1 year just because of their policy of artificial scarcity?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Im so happy i waited for this game, I actually had my finger on the trigger to back this years ago when it started but decided to wait, wisely it seems as now i see they are to the breaking original promises stage of development, probably only going downhill from here. Hopefully by the end the game they produce is at least decent. Time will tell. Still has alot of promise.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Im so happy i waited for this game, I actually had my finger on the trigger to back this years ago when it started but decided to wait, wisely it seems as now i see they are to the breaking original promises stage of development, probably only going downhill from here. Hopefully by the end the game they produce is at least decent. Time will tell. Still has alot of promise.

is this real life?

CIG is kicking ass and taking names right now. Everyone knows how/why some of the original promises had to be adjusted, but it's for a really good reason. They're still moving along at an amazing pace.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
is this real life?

CIG is kicking ass and taking names right now. Everyone knows how/why some of the original promises had to be adjusted, but it's for a really good reason. They're still moving along at an amazing pace.

There is always way to justify breaking promises, thats the easy part. The good/honest companies dont make promises they cant keep to avoid having to break them, thats the hard part.

Feb 4, 2009

Fair enough, that's the kickstarter/ early access risk. I totally understand being hesitant.
Doesn't bother me, I kind of enjoy the excitement but the let down can be a bummer. For example I bought into Richard Giariott(spelling?) Shroud of the Avatar. Game has turned out to be something other than I expected. I'm disappointed but not heart broken.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Fair enough, that's the kickstarter/ early access risk. I totally understand being hesitant.
Doesn't bother me, I kind of enjoy the excitement but the let down can be a bummer. For example I bought into Richard Giariott(spelling?) Shroud of the Avatar. Game has turned out to be something other than I expected. I'm disappointed but not heart broken.

Yeah there are 2 ways to do early access it seems:

1: Promise the world without having got far enough through planning stage to even see if its technically possible to do what you want and promise, take peoples money, do your best but in the end you end up breaking original promises and pissing off alot of backers. This seems to be the way SC is starting to swing, not that it will end that way but breaking original backers promises is where it starts to go bad alot of the time. Note that its still possible to release a great game this way, just not the best PR for your game when you start breaking promises to original backers.

2: Wait until game passes alpha and is about to go beta, most in game systems have been designed and are in place in initial stages. Then have a kickstarter and take peoples money. Then let the backers have input and fine tune the game during beta. This generally results in much less dishonesty on the devs part as its alot easier to make and keep promises when the game is already past alpha stage of development, you know at this stage what can and cant be done.

Unfortunately alot of devs go with option 1.

This is why early access is always a gamble. And IMO why its always a good idea to wait and never do EA games especially from new devs. If you back it early there is always a chance the dev's will lie/break promises, and you may get mad and stop playing because of this without even waiting for the end product. Afterall no one likes being lied to no matter how the devs try to justify it. Even though in the end 3-5 years later they end up releasing a good game, just maybe not the one originally described/sold at the beginning of EA.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just seems like a insincere statement considering their state of development.

Perhaps, its just that is usually the tipping point to where EA games go downhill on the far side of the bell curve, it all starts with the hey guys we are just going to change a few of our original promises/goals/ideas for xyz reasons. And deteriorates from there, after all once you break one goal/promise its gets easier to keep going.

I hope i am wrong, i am looking forward to this game, even more so due to its state of development and the fact that so much has already been invested into it. I just hope it turns out to be the game they started selling years ago when this began.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
And what if after you switch back, CIG changes the ship and you end up wanting the other one again? Wait 1 year just because of their policy of artificial scarcity?

Pretty much. I have 3 hulls right now which is way more than I need.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Perhaps, its just that is usually the tipping point to where EA games go downhill on the far side of the bell curve, it all starts with the hey guys we are just going to change a few of our original promises/goals/ideas for xyz reasons. And deteriorates from there, after all once you break one goal/promise its gets easier to keep going.

I hope i am wrong, i am looking forward to this game, even more so due to its state of development and the fact that so much has already been invested into it. I just hope it turns out to be the game they started selling years ago when this began.

One of the things annoying original/old backers is not necessarily the broken "promise" (I use quotes because there is debate over whether or not it was even a promise.....let's just call it a statement of intent), but the lack of communication on it. With cash discount on the Hornet.....CIG just did it. No explanation, no "hey were gonna try this to see if it's a successful enticement"....nothing.

But one thing is certain: the games they started selling years ago are NOT what we're going to get. Money (and lots and lots of it) have evolved these projects. Hopefully we get something better than originally advertised.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Should I play through Elite Dangerous? Can I use my dual stick T16000M? Thoughts? Tempted to buy it because I want more space game to play.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Gotta say, the Cutlass rework is looking choice. Love the direction they're going.

RKwq8JD.jpg

l4ycd0F.jpg

Also, the new *6X S3* loadout sounds very good.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Should I play through Elite Dangerous? Can I use my dual stick T16000M? Thoughts? Tempted to buy it because I want more space game to play.
I got Elite: Dangerous Arena (their equivalent of Arena Commander Battle Royale for Star Citizen) when was free on Steam and played it for a few hours. I could use my two joysticks.

Elite: Dangerous (the base game) had a much greater discount on Steam a few months ago (75% off). Now it only has 33% off.