Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 272 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Evocati gets 2.6 tonight and they want it on PTU by 11/28/16

Image004.png

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Quite happy with the Star Marine playtest. Honestly, still needs work, but for the VR/Game-within-a-Game mode, I like that it's a fast respawn/quicker gameplay. Didn't get to see gadget use (other than nades) and CR noted that mantling/sliding.

The other big note (which TBJK just showed an image of) is that they've now made the decision to directly post their internal dev timelines with us (http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=32d8ef31243db6075c45571bd&id=b0a27d5ee1&e=4d4082e4a1). These are NOT release dates, rather targets/goals. Anyone with a job should understand the difference between planning and execution, this should be no different. I found it to be a huge move by CIG and I applaud them for it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Quite happy with the Star Marine playtest. Honestly, still needs work, but for the VR/Game-within-a-Game mode, I like that it's a fast respawn/quicker gameplay. Didn't get to see gadget use (other than nades) and CR noted that mantling/sliding.

The other big note (which TBJK just showed an image of) is that they've now made the decision to directly post their internal dev timelines with us (http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=32d8ef31243db6075c45571bd&id=b0a27d5ee1&e=4d4082e4a1). These are NOT release dates, rather targets/goals. Anyone with a job should understand the difference between planning and execution, this should be no different. I found it to be a huge move by CIG and I applaud them for it.

This may be the single greatest thing CIG has ever done as far as communication with the backers go. I'm stunned. If they update this every week like they say they will, we backers will know exactly what's going on every week. Incredible transparency.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'm a very early backer. I do own the super hornet. I have the colonel package with super hornet upgrade. I don't care that they sell more now cheaper. I spent my money years ago. IMO all the ship sales for hundreds of dollars each blow my mind. I have the one package but I have never been tempted to purchase anything else from them. It's crazy that people have spent thousands of dollars on ships they can earn playing the final game.
Same here, although I do find it a little insulting that newcomers get it cheaper. On the other hand, at least we get the game + SQ42 + super hornet, whereas the discounted price is just the super hornet.

I gotta applaud the transparency but this strikes me as an incredibly ballsy and stupid move. Also puts a lot of pressure on the developers. Maybe they should also insert comments into the timeline every time Roberts makes them completely gut some system? :p

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
I'll also point out I got the Colonel package and SH upgrade, as well as a Sabre (one will be CCU'd, wanted to see balance changes). I don't consider it as an insult or anything, I backed to back and got a fancy JPEG as a bonus.

Also, this should prevent any more CR "SOOON™" comments. I think they've been better with that anyway (and CR's jokes about his estimates helped as well).

And it is incredibly ballsy and somewhat stupid, but as CR noted, he's ultimately trusting those who backed and made this game possible. It's not going to help with the haters or those with an agenda, but it will help mollify those who've been asking for more transparency on where the game is at right now.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Still feeling good about this prediction? 2.6 hasn't released yet correct?

Commandos!!! Get a refund.

Apologies for my tardiness on the subject. I've been working on... stuff in my free time the last couple days:

JOtWPao.jpg

Anyway, I understand there has been new information from CIG with the live stream (which I didn't get to watch but I've seen a synopsis of the important bits) so I will answer your question as I would a few days ago and then today.

I was feeling a bit doubtful. I fully expect the engineers working on 3.0 and 2.6 are different and the two versions are not necessarily worked on serially. However, they would need PTU time for each and meeting my targets was looking a bit hard by this point. I think 2.6 vexed the more than they thought, which is fine.

Right now, I'm confident we'll have 2.6 on PTU by the end of the month or the first full week of December. At that point, I would expect 3.0 by the end of February at the latest. So, sure I think things have slid to the right a bit. I by no means see a reason to pursue a refund. I like what I've seen from the stream tonight and I am happy to be a part of it.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Can any of you guys help me out? Right now I have an Avenger and I love it but the cockpit view is killing me. I cant see my radar or targeted ships even my weapons load out is out of view. Do you guys know how I can change the view so I'm sitting back in my seat instead of so far forward? I've attached a pic so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

VEqyS6P.png

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Get another ship, with a better cockpit view. Or wait to see how they change the Avenger.

Also, for ships like Avenger, get the UEE medium armor (you can buy it with alpha UEC from Port Olisar). It does not have that obstruction on the lower part of the screen.

When you are not in combat, press and hold Z and use WASD to have a better (and closer) look at the MFDs.

Like this:

In this video you can also see the UEE medium armour view that I was talking about.

You can not slide the pilot chair back (it seems that this is what you would want).

I think that you can also adjust the Field of View using user.cfg parameters. That may also help.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Star Citizen: 4th Anniversary Livestream

Star Citizen: Star Marine Preview

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
This may be the single greatest thing CIG has ever done as far as communication with the backers go. I'm stunned. If they update this every week like they say they will, we backers will know exactly what's going on every week. Incredible transparency.
But is this only for 2.6 or for all releases from now on?

"So for Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 we’re going to share our internal schedule and its breakouts on a weekly basis."
(Quoted from the Star Citizen Newsletter - Letter from The Chairman, November 18th, 2016).

It is not clear if they will keep doing this after 2.6.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I think 2.6 vexed the more than they thought, which is fine.

It did and the root cause is: the netcode! So it appears they moved the netcode refactor work forward. The net code refactor was supposed to arrive beginning in 3.0. It now appears in 2.6 (at least it's start....I expect a major overhaul of code like that to be delivered over numerous patches).

They get that working and working well and there's a good chance we're back to 60 FPS, no lag, no de-sync, no crash to desktop. Ok, I shouldn't say "no".....this is alpha after all. I should have said fewer.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Can any of you guys help me out? Right now I have an Avenger and I love it but the cockpit view is killing me. I cant see my radar or targeted ships even my weapons load out is out of view. Do you guys know how I can change the view so I'm sitting back in my seat instead of so far forward? I've attached a pic so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

VEqyS6P.png
Besides Seba's suggestions, the other thing to do is wait :). If you watch the 2.6 livesteam Seba linked, the AC squadron battle.....it appears the issue has been addressed somewhat....the cockpit views look a little better to me (although I admit - I don't think the ever cut to the avenger cockpit view during the battle.....maybe they do in the pre-livestream warm up)

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Maybe there were freezes during images from the studio too (and that would mean that only the video stream itself was freezing), but I did not noticed them.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
It did and the root cause is: the netcode! So it appears they moved the netcode refactor work forward. The net code refactor was supposed to arrive beginning in 3.0. It now appears in 2.6 (at least it's start....I expect a major overhaul of code like that to be delivered over numerous patches).

They get that working and working well and there's a good chance we're back to 60 FPS, no lag, no de-sync, no crash to desktop. Ok, I shouldn't say "no".....this is alpha after all. I should have said fewer.

Did they explicitly say it was the net code somewhere? I still haven't watched the stream.

Maybe there were freezes during images from the studio too (and that would mean that only the video stream itself was freezing), but I did not noticed them.

In studio video is a different use case than streaming Star Marine gameplay. Star Marine would have more movement than people sitting at a table which requires more bitrate and thus more possibilities for hitches.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Did they explicitly say it was the net code somewhere? I still haven't watched the stream.

Nope. I'm speculating based upon what's in the status report. Look under Tech/Systems.

Entity Bind Culling and Message Ordering both indicate (to me anyway) work on the net code. And I didn't expect these things to be addressed until 3.0.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
The release I am really waiting for is 3.0. I mostly want 2.6 just because then we will be closer to 3.0. After the delays with 2.4 and 2.5, I expected 2.6 to go live at the end of November, but it turns out that I was too optimistic. Hopefully not by much. Maybe it gets released in December 8th (or around that date).

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
If that org does not require exclusive membership, you can get in AT Ballers Org, too (this does not require exclusivity).

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
You can belong to multiple Orgs in SC, just as an FYI if that makes any difference.

*edit* Seba beat me to it.