Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 271 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
A hire from NMS doesn't mean that their vision on the game will suddenly change to mirror NMS.

There were a lot of smart people who helped make NMS. The blame lies with Sean and the hype machine.

Feb 4, 2009
A hire from NMS doesn't mean that their vision on the game will suddenly change to mirror NMS.

There were a lot of smart people who helped make NMS. The blame lies with Sean and the hype machine.

Agreed talent can be found anywhere, I know from a previous career.
I just think that video is HILARIOUS.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
oh I have an interest. My $40 paid in october of 2012 or whatever. I was excited for a modern privateer. Oh well. Since then, aside from the small amount of time I tried to warn people about the dangers of giving these people unlimited money and then realizing how shitty the citizen fan base actually is, I've taken to just relaxing and watching the fun.

I'm not sure the citizen fan base is crappy, or just typical of most MMOs. This is the first MMO community I've been a part of.

But I will say this: over the past several weeks I've seen the community become really fractured on the CIG forums (and supposedly on reddit too). CIG made statements saying they would not discount ships......and turn around and give a cash-only discount on the Hornet. Now, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I don't own a Hornet and don't really want one. But I guess maybe because I'm old-ish, I don't like it when a person/company/anything doesn't say what they mean and mean what they say.

But what really surprised me was how poorly people who voiced their opinion on this subject (not liking broken "promises") were vilified. The white nights swooped in saying "CIG is a business! They're allowed to make money. More cash means a better and faster game! (a fallacy which none of the white nights has been willing to prove to me - despite my asking on several threads).

It's gotten ugly. There has been a steady stream of people requesting (and being granted) refunds.

I've read people say that this is pretty typical for an MMO. So maybe this is all par for the course. Like I said, it's all new to me.

While the drama is entertaining (in some respects), I wouldn't call it "fun".

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I think to a large degree, any *big* community has the same kind of personalities. It's the loudest ones that seem to get all the attention.

I've just been ignoring it for a good bit - because I just bought a guitar I've been trying to hunt down for months and that's keeping me busy. ;)

I just don't trip over all this stuff. There are things I have control over and things I don't.

I can control how much emotional investment I place in video game entertainment.
I can control how much money I spend on it.

I can't control other people, developers, player communities, deadlines, game mechanics, or when somebody else's project will be released (if ever). This project will either be a success or it won't. Life goes on either way - it isn't worth the kind of emotional vitriol being spewed between community members at various sites.

In the meantime, I'll just keep enjoying playing the alpha and hope for the best. Even in its current state, it's still one of the most amazing games I've ever played.

Reactions: SLU Aequitas

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
I think to a large degree, any *big* community has the same kind of personalities. It's the loudest ones that seem to get all the attention.

I've just been ignoring it for a good bit - because I just bought a guitar I've been trying to hunt down for months and that's keeping me busy. ;)

I just don't trip over all this stuff. There are things I have control over and things I don't.

I can control how much emotional investment I place in video game entertainment.
I can control how much money I spend on it.

I can't control other people, developers, player communities, deadlines, game mechanics, or when somebody else's project will be released (if ever). This project will either be a success or it won't. Life goes on either way - it isn't worth the kind of emotional vitriol being spewed between community members at various sites.

In the meantime, I'll just keep enjoying playing the alpha and hope for the best. Even in its current state, it's still one of the most amazing games I've ever played.

Pretty much this. I will say the sub seems to have been pretty levelheaded (many valid complaints are up voted).

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
What's really convenient is they are streaming Star Marine TODAY. Not by the end of the year, etc. Ask us how we feel about 2.6? Please?

Mod note: I am being directly addressed in this thread.

CIG has shown you a lot of things over the years. Let me know when you are playing star marine yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJkAwDXgKEs < --- 2 years ago

How many times does this have to happen before you start to think?

giphy.gif

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Major fail for now. New ship skins/ship variants/whatever? Are they serious?

No Star Marine for now, although they said it will be the last in the Twitch stream, after Arena Commander/SB and racing.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Major fail for now. New ship skins/ship variants/whatever? Are they serious?

No Star Marine for now, although they said it will be the last in the Twitch stream, after Arena Commander/SB and racing.

That was just a pre stream lan party thingy...

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I took as him just saying we'd see it today.. not necessarily during that stream. oh well.. next stream coming up soon.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I'm a very early backer. I do own the super hornet. I have the colonel package with super hornet upgrade. I don't care that they sell more now cheaper. I spent my money years ago. IMO all the ship sales for hundreds of dollars each blow my mind. I have the one package but I have never been tempted to purchase anything else from them. It's crazy that people have spent thousands of dollars on ships they can earn playing the final game.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I've just stayed out of the drama. I don't know if it will ever be finished but I consider my $40 purchase to be a bet on it happening.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Ship sales are a major source of income for Star Citizen. No income = no game.

I most certainly understand why it is done; especially at the beginning but they have raised millions of dollars and will continue to do so. I think after 4 years that maybe they don't need to sell every ship, maybe they have made enough money as it is. Maybe they could lower the price for a digital ship. I mean hundreds of dollars for a digital item seems at this point in the development overkill. But whatever. I'm just thinking out loud here. Honestly it doesn't bother me as I bought into the game back at the start and will continue to wait patiently for release. I for one will not buy additional ships so for those that want to I say knock yourselves out! :)