Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 269 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I'm really glad I got to try the Free to Play Fall 2016 offer that RSI is offering. It ends on the 31st.

I have decided to buy a starter ship just to own the game; but I wish I could play this game to its full potential.

This is the first game that makes my GTX 1070 seem like the mid range GPU that it is. At 4k low, 45-50 fps on local is what it is able to push out. This is also the first title I got to play that makes 8gb of vram seem far too little. I am pegged at 7.9gb of vram usage on server, but perhaps that isn't all needed.

I am now far more able to understand the massive undertaking needed to make this game work. This does feel like a next generation game in many ways, but it does fall flat being hamstrung by old technology.

The server fps cap means my 1070 is completely underutilized in the actual game. 20-30fps is to be expected. I wasn't terribly bothered by that because the game has so much potential. Everyone in chat was super helpful and I was able to pilot and explore many cool ships.

But wow, does Space Citizen have a long way to go. I can't wait for a 60fps min Space Citizen server. This game is made to be extremely fast paced but the low framerate causes everyone to slow down on what they are doing. It will cost a lot of money to become finished but right now, it feels far more organic and alive than anything I have played.

I keep wanting to go back into SC, but the low fps, crashes, and general bugginess are keeping me frustrated. I am still buying a ship now though. This is an exciting time and I can't wait to see where this game will be in 3 years.

I am reading about how server fps used to be considerably higher. I would definitely play this more if I could get 45fps min and become gpu limited all the time. Then I would want a Titan PX.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Basically my attitude about hardware and SC is that I'm just going to wait it out until it's been optimized to really base any purchases or decisions about my rig because of it. Too much is simply up in the air and imho, I would say Crysis 3's performance, generally speaking, would likely be a better benchmark for how your system will perform after SC has been optimized. If you can play Crysis 3 just fine, you'll likely get similar results with an optimized Star Citizen. Again.. I'm not saying they'll be the same, and clearly there's some major differences (netcode, world size), but I say that simply because it's C3 is the most optimized, resource intensive CryEngine game out there right now.

My 970gtx plays Crysis 3 very well (w/ i7 4790k), so I'm just going to sit on what I have for now and deal with the crappy fps.

Besides, CIG has offered up tons of info on how they're working on optimizations and it all makes sense and is clear enough to give me confidence that the game will be heavily optimized in the future.

Reactions: ZGR

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
'm really glad I got to try the Free to Play Fall 2016 offer that RSI is offering. It ends on the 31st.

I have decided to buy a starter ship just to own the game;

I'm glad you enjoyed the free fly! Welcome to the verse!

Feb 4, 2009
I'm really glad I got to try the Free to Play Fall 2016 offer that RSI is offering. It ends on the 31st.

I have decided to buy a starter ship just to own the game; but I wish I could play this game to its full potential.

This is the first game that makes my GTX 1070 seem like the mid range GPU that it is. At 4k low, 45-50 fps on local is what it is able to push out. This is also the first title I got to play that makes 8gb of vram seem far too little. I am pegged at 7.9gb of vram usage on server, but perhaps that isn't all needed.

Then join the Ballers

Here is the Ballers link:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/OLDSBAMENT

You can belong to multiple Org. This one is for AT Members only.
Let us know your Star Citizen name if its different than these forums.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks for the advice! I am really enjoying the feel of the Mustang over the Hornet. I did get the Bundle linked above. I also joined the Org. My name in SC is: Wilds

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Basically my attitude about hardware and SC is that I'm just going to wait it out until it's been optimized to really base any purchases or decisions about my rig because of it. Too much is simply up in the air and imho, I would say Crysis 3's performance, generally speaking, would likely be a better benchmark for how your system will perform after SC has been optimized. If you can play Crysis 3 just fine, you'll likely get similar results with an optimized Star Citizen. Again.. I'm not saying they'll be the same, and clearly there's some major differences (netcode, world size), but I say that simply because it's C3 is the most optimized, resource intensive CryEngine game out there right now.

My 970gtx plays Crysis 3 very well (w/ i7 4790k), so I'm just going to sit on what I have for now and deal with the crappy fps.

Besides, CIG has offered up tons of info on how they're working on optimizations and it all makes sense and is clear enough to give me confidence that the game will be heavily optimized in the future.

Exactly this above. There have been very few optimizations made, as that is almost always one of the last things done, as optimizing something that then gets changed is a complete waste of developer/artist time. Typically you don't see game optimizations being worked on until the last few months before release.

As for hardware to run the game, I'm doing what TechBoyJK is doing, waiting it out until just before release. We are certain to have AMD's actual high end chips out by then as well as Nvidia's response chip.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
D2d5N8k.jpg

Considering the circumstances, this was the best we could do to get her dressed up for halloween.

Here's what I put in the comment

Baby Kira is a Citizen!
Kira is my daughter. She's a micro-premie; just 1 pound 9 ounces at birth.

She's 8 weeks old now and just under 3.5 pounds. Still very tiny!

For Halloween, we weren't allowed to do much with her. So the best I could do was sneak in my Star Citizen patch from a meetup in St. Louis.

Watch her fall asleep > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRcOfbnSHpE

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/i-sold-my-star-citizen-fleet-to-finance-a-new-car

The most elaborate and sketchy transaction I took part in began when I heard that CIG's customer support was allowing people to buy a ship that was limited to a run of 300. One nice email later, sent via the concierge customer support tier unlocked for big spenders, and I was on a waiting list.

CIG had given me the option to spend $300 dollars of store credit to get a ship that I could feasibly resell for $2,000. I'd already arranged a buyer, and they were ecstatic that I was letting the ship go for just $1,800.

Interesting read, is the bolded part true?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
D2d5N8k.jpg

Considering the circumstances, this was the best we could do to get her dressed up for halloween.

Here's what I put in the comment

I was not aware you were a new dad. Congratulations! Love the costume haha.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/i-sold-my-star-citizen-fleet-to-finance-a-new-car

The most elaborate and sketchy transaction I took part in began when I heard that CIG's customer support was allowing people to buy a ship that was limited to a run of 300. One nice email later, sent via the concierge customer support tier unlocked for big spenders, and I was on a waiting list.

CIG had given me the option to spend $300 dollars of store credit to get a ship that I could feasibly resell for $2,000. I'd already arranged a buyer, and they were ecstatic that I was letting the ship go for just $1,800.

I'm sure it is. I spent years buying virtual items from d2legit for Diablo2 and god only know how much I've spent on hats and special dances for TF2. It's hype man....this games hype has gone to 9000 and if people are willing to pay there will always be people willing to exploit it. It's not an SC thing it's a people thing.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

The real important part is the "concierge customer support tier unlocked for big spenders". I don't doubt the story. There were many people doing what this person claimed. I do believe there are lists of people who spent some decent amount of money (I'm on at least one of them). I also know I made back quite a bit of the money I have in the game from resale of ships and items. All told, I think I have only about $300-400 out of pocket, even though I have several thousand dollars of ships:
350r $125
Aegis Sabre $170
Aegis Vanguard Warden $250
Aegis Vanguard Harbinger $280
Anvil Crucible $350
Avenger Titan $50
Avenger Warlock $85

Banu Merchantman $250
Caterpillar $245
Constellation Phoenix $350
Cutlass Blue $150
Endeavor Master Set $900
F7C-S $125
F7C-M $165
2x F7A Military Hornet Upgrade
Freelancer MIS $165
Gladiator $165
M50 $100
Reclaimer $350
Redeemer $250
Retaliator $275
RSI Polaris $750
Starfarer Gemini $340
Xi'An Khartu-al $170

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
They did have a waiting list for a while early in the funding campaign for ships that were limited. They did away with that year ago though.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

I don't necessarily doubt that they unlock limited ships for big spenders. Haven't tried it myself, but I've never had to either.

What I do doubt is how his story played out. He says "CIG had given me the option to spend $300 dollars of store credit to get a ship that I could feasibly resell for $2,000." That's not how the system works. When you use store credit to purchase a ship, it becomes account bound and non-giftable (meaning, no way to sell it afterwards). He could have sold his entire account off, but that's a huge violation of the ToS and if CIG finds out they have the right to just delete the account and keep the money anyway. It's a huge risk to the buyer.

Edit: Also, this part irritates me:

With most of my spare money from the previous two years tied up in video game spaceships

Poor decision making right there. Why would you do such a thing? I have a decent amount of funding in the project, but nothing that came out of anything but disposable income for entertainment that the wife and I set aside and mutually agree on (she loves SC too). Spending money you should've budgeted for life emergencies is crazy to me and I wish people would make better decisions.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
That limited edition $300 ship is most likely Vanduul Scythe. Maybe he just mixed-up the part about buying it with Store Credit. Or indeed bought it with Store Credit, but after that melted it and bought it back with real money. That would make the ship gift-able again.

Feb 4, 2009
Meh, if money is present people will figure out a scam. Look at the recent Counter Strike GO gambling with free goodies from the game. Its human nature.