Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 268 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
You know that it is not clear if the current Hornet owners will get the redesigned version or will be stuck with the old version?

CIG did not said yet which will be the case. But they did say that the old Hornet (along with old 300 and old Aurora models) will be kept in game , with minor adjustments (mostly to damage states).

That's odd. Hopefully that just means you'll see the older models used by NPCs. I can't see them redesigning the 300 (especially) and not giving backers the new model, especially after they spent so much time going through community response to the rework.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
You know what I don't like about that new Hornet? The "Danger Intake" warning. I know I'm being nit picky, but that's not a jet engine. It's a fuel scoop. Almost every ship in the game has them. And yet the Hornet is the only one with those markings. I know....rule of cool and all that. But come on.....

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
You know what I don't like about that new Hornet? The "Danger Intake" warning. I know I'm being nit picky, but that's not a jet engine. It's a fuel scoop. Almost every ship in the game has them. And yet the Hornet is the only one with those markings. I know....rule of cool and all that. But come on.....

Great....totally ruined my 'mmersion, rivet. Now it can't be unseen. ;)

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Really good town hall this week. Sean Tracy is a smart man.

I just noticed the Gladius they flew in that doesn't have the clear radar thingy. I wonder if they've modified it in a future build (which is fine - I like what I see there).

Some good info in there - - but I've found myself a bit disinterested in any news that doesn't involve SQ42 or 2.6. The great CIG cloak of secrecy seems to have fallen upon both of those subjects.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
The latest Bugmashers episode had some indirect informations about Star Marine (one of the big new things in 2.6):

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
This episode is worth watching if you're interested in procedural planets. I was blown away by the sunrise, sunset stuff. Absolutely stunning.

I ate up the planet tech info. Pretty awesome stuff.

I like how Sean Tracey put it in the town hall. Not procedurally generated, but procedurally assisted.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The most impressive thing to me was finding out how quickly they progressed in less than a year.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I started to apply some upgrades to begin building my "fleet". It is far from final, but right now I have:
  • Non-LTI Aurora LN - the ship from my game package. Right now it does not look that I would keep it (maybe only to be quickly sold in-game after game release). Could "upgrade" it (for $0) to a Dragonfly, or maybe to a Mustang Beta (depending on which other ships I will have). Since it does not have LTI, no more than that.
  • LTI Mustang Beta (upgraded from an LTI Argo Cargo). This will be further upgraded at least to a $65 level ship - Reliant Kore/Mustang Delta/315P (I already have all CCUs up to Reliant Kore), but maybe even to a Cutlass Black or Freelancer. But not yet, since I want to have more ships to test for a longer time in PU (rented ships no longer work in PU and you can not buy ships in-game yet).
  • LTI Dragonfly (I have a loaner P-52 Merlin for this now, since Dragonfly is not flight ready). Maybe I will upgrade this, or maybe I will melt it and use the $35 to upgrade the above ship.
After some brief stops at Aurora CL and Reliant Kore (neither are worth the trouble), I now have a LTI Cutlass Black (but for now I melted the Dragonfly for this upgrade) in place of that temporary Mustang Beta. $100 ship with $80 melt value (because I used some discount coupons for it). This month I also took advantage of the huge GBP discount (practically it is as if I do not pay VAT if I pay in GBP instead of EUR or USD).

As a bonus, I also got the VFG Industrial hangar (and access to all hangars since the Industrial hangar is the most expensive one). At this point it is not clear if we will keep the upgraded hangar in these cases (upgrading is supposed to only change the ship, not the rest of the package content).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I ate up the planet tech info. Pretty awesome stuff.

I like how Sean Tracey put it in the town hall. Not procedurally generated, but procedurally assisted.

What I find interesting is how much effort they're spending on........exploration. This procedural planet tech could easily make SC the best exploration game ever.

Feb 4, 2009
After some brief stops at Aurora CL and Reliant Kore (neither are worth the trouble), I now have a LTI Cutlass Black (but for now I melted the Dragonfly for this upgrade) in place of that temporary Mustang Beta. $100 ship with $80 melt value (because I used some discount coupons for it). This month I also took advantage of the huge GBP discount (practically it is as if I do not pay VAT if I pay in GBP instead of EUR or USD).

As a bonus, I also got the VFG Industrial hangar (and access to all hangars since the Industrial hangar is the most expensive one). At this point it is not clear if we will keep the upgraded hangar in these cases (upgrading is supposed to only change the ship, not the rest of the package content).

Welcome to the Cutlass club homie. Industrial hanger is a mess with broken railings, loose live wires, plenty of places to fall and that oil spill at the bottom of the stairs.

I love it

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Welcome to the Cutlass club homie. Industrial hanger is a mess with broken railings, loose live wires, plenty of places to fall and that oil spill at the bottom of the stairs.

I love it

Didn't they recently re-do the lighting on it too? I think so.....I think it was the last hangar to get a lighting pass....

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
What I find interesting is how much effort they're spending on........exploration. This procedural planet tech could easily make SC the best exploration game ever.

Indeed!! Exploration is my MO, so when they started talking about procedural planet tech earlier this year my mind started racing with possibilities. With the level of awesome they've already arrived at in such a short time, I'm definitely stoked.

Can't wait to put my ship down and watch my first SC sunset....

star_citizen-ds1-670x377-constrain.jpg

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Indeed!! Exploration is my MO, so when they started talking about procedural planet tech earlier this year my mind started racing with possibilities. With the level of awesome they've already arrived at in such a short time, I'm definitely stoked.

Can't wait to put my ship down and watch my first SC sunset....

star_citizen-ds1-670x377-constrain.jpg

I wonder if this is a game-changer. What I mean.....I wonder if CIG had first envisioned SC being more of a space combat sim. But then they were lucky and nabbed the Crytek guys in Germany. And those guys, obviously motivated with a new employer allowing them to be creative, developed this awesome tech which now allows SC to move from a combat-focused game to an exploration-focused game.

Or was this the plan all along?

Just thinking out loud.....

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

I'm cautiously optimistic. Exploring is the huge missed opportunity Frontier has pretty much ignored for a while now. Procedural tech is cool and all, but the content is where it's at. As it sits, Elite's galaxy of planets you can land on is little more than a screenshot generator or something like Space Engine. The difference between Elite and Space Engine is that Elite is only one galaxy and it takes longer to get anywhere in it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I wonder if this is a game-changer. What I mean.....I wonder if CIG had first envisioned SC being more of a space combat sim. But then they were lucky and nabbed the Crytek guys in Germany. And those guys, obviously motivated with a new employer allowing them to be creative, developed this awesome tech which now allows SC to move from a combat-focused game to an exploration-focused game.

Or was this the plan all along?

Just thinking out loud.....

I have a feeling it was definitely something at the back of his mind (or maybe closer to the front). He's always stated that he wants to build a "Universe," and I'm sure it didn't take much convincing when the Crytek wizards said "Hey, we can do procedural planets and stuff.....probably better than anybody else."

I'm cautiously optimistic. Exploring is the huge missed opportunity Frontier has pretty much ignored for a while now. Procedural tech is cool and all, but the content is where it's at. As it sits, Elite's galaxy of planets you can land on is little more than a screenshot generator or something like Space Engine. The difference between Elite and Space Engine is that Elite is only one galaxy and it takes longer to get anywhere in it.

I'm cautious, but more optimistic - - mainly because I've heard so many people on the CIG design team convey the same sentiment, that a huge universe is pretty boring if there isn't content to support it. I believe that's why we've seen so much emphasis on modularity and procedural content tool-sets, both for missions and environment.

Drive creation with the engine and let the artists take it that last 10% to create points of interest / landing zones / unique features, etc.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
You can actually see the sun's lighting change on the moon in the background too.

That's what's cool, imho. That sun is a huge object.