Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 266 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Yes, ESP is not working properly in 2.5.0.

That's good to know....I just thought I'd gotten really rusty and I'd lost my ability to use a joystick. ;)

Been flying around a lot of stuff with everything being unlocked for the moment.

Not a big fan of the Reliant. I had a feeling I wouldn't like that huge wingspan and I don't......really had to watch myself buzzing around asteroids in Yela.

Still not very excited about the Freelancer. I was hoping this would be my take a friend and have some fun ship, but I really don't like the view. It's functional enough....I assume we'll see more interesting goodies when they get the DUR variant out and maybe I'll be stoked again.

The Khartu-Al - wtf were they thinking with those struts? No way I'm ever going to get this ship.

I really like the Cutlass, as I mentioned before....and now I'm really thinking about picking one up. Especially with the rework that's going to modularize the interior and let you pick some different options. I'm really looking for a ship that I can either fly solo or find a friend to do a variety of stuff with, without being a big multi-crew ship like a Connie.

It's also more "fun" to fly than the Freelancer. Doesn't feel nearly as big and "space truck-ish." Has a loadout that can do some damage, and hopefully will handle better post-rework (they said it most certainly will - - and likely be faster).

I really like what I see on the rework info, with the new crew amenities (including 2 escape pods / lockers / gun racks / beds, etc), nice drop-down cargo hold, and docking station / tractor beam, it seems like you could really do a variety of different jobs with it.

QVXQZN3.jpg

RUDyH2V.jpg

Q6O07Jl.jpg

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
That Freelancer cockpit view bothers me the most. Maybe the redesigned/final Freelancer DUR will have a at least slightly better cockpit view.

Those Cutlass pictures are older. I do not know if they are still indicative for the re-design.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I believe the concept for the rework is still the same(?)

Splitting into 4 zones, with the modular cargo area. Who knows...anything can change at any time with these reworks.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
The ship will be bigger, for sure. The door/rear ramp will be wider, so that you can transport a Dragonfly (it is almost confirmed that a Dragonfly will fit). The cargo lift could be gone. The cockpit will get a major redesign (maybe following those old pictures, maybe not).

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I have been holding onto my Cutlass Blue so far until the rework. I liked the original concept for the cutlass overall, but it most certainly isn't that right now. I had hoped it would be essentially what they said, a highly manoeuvrable, ship that could both give and take a decent amount of damage. And I really liked the concept of the police version for bounty hunting.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I discovered only today that Cutlass Black has a side door. But I could only open it from inside the ship. Can you lower the ladder from the outside of the ship? I could not find the USE prompt in that area (if there is one).

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I discovered only today that Cutlass Black has a side door. But I could only open it from inside the ship. Can you lower the ladder from the outside of the ship? I could not find the USE prompt in that area (if there is one).

There's a physical button on the left "wing" at the front near there.

Feb 4, 2009

I found that myself a few weeks ago. Climb up on the wing and look at the "teeth"

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'd completely forgotten about this until I saw an old ad in another post. Seems Sony had a better understanding of making space-flight peripherals than CIG does. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Honestly, that's a pretty interesting setup. A hybrid of this and the T16000M would be a really good starter peripheral for SC. In fact, having both sticks on the same plank with the center buttons and all is pretty much what I was going for when I put my dual T16000M setup together.

I wanted both sticks on the same plank so they'd always stay perfectly relative to each other and not move around. If I push one stick to hard.. the entire plank and other stick moves with it.

Xw1YwnL.jpg

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
If I push one stick to hard.. the entire plank and other stick moves with it.
I know most people are against it, but you could use some sort of adhesive on the bottom to keep them in place. Lowes/Home Depot sells adhesive velcro that works rather well and doesn't leave a bad residue like duct tape.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Yeah, I have been holding onto my Cutlass Blue so far until the rework. I liked the original concept for the cutlass overall, but it most certainly isn't that right now. I had hoped it would be essentially what they said, a highly manoeuvrable, ship that could both give and take a decent amount of damage. And I really liked the concept of the police version for bounty hunting.

I really like the look and specs of the Blue - - but it looks like they stuck a strut on the canopy in the most annoying spot they could have (horizontal right in center line-of-sight). Maybe they'll move it in the rework, but if they leave that thing there, I think I'll just get a Black.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I know most people are against it, but you could use some sort of adhesive on the bottom to keep them in place. Lowes/Home Depot sells adhesive velcro that works rather well and doesn't leave a bad residue like duct tape.

That's what I did. Used velcro. Both sticks are firmly attached to the plank. Sometimes when I get excited during flight, the entire plank will move around on my desk. But at least the sticks don't move relative to one another. That way I never lose their orientation to one another.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I need to fix my joysticks too. For the moment I keep them on two small seats on each side of an old armchair (where I sit) and they are not stable (and slightly uncomfortable because of the arm rests which are somewhat in the way).

I am thinking to build some kind of a chair with joysticks, pedals, mouse and keyboard stands. A non-adjustable one would be simpler to build, but I have to get all devices in the right place and I am not yet sure which would be the best position for each.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Another Free Flight start tomorrow and will last until the end of the month. This time free for all (not only for backers). F7C-M Super Hornet will be the free ship.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I jumped into the PU last night and flew the Gladius for the first time since 2.5. Felt really good - like a real dogfighter again. After flying my Ghost around with that 3D ball radar, I also forgot how awesome the 2D radar in the Gladius is. I pray they make this a component option on other ships, but I have a feeling they won't since it requires different modeling in the cockpit. I have a feeling I'm going to be very sad when they cut the SCM....I almost feel like it's too slow as it is for a lot of ships. The Hornet and Cutlass are going to feel like molasses if they go too far.

Also loaded up a REC Cutlass to try it out in VS and unleash the glory of 5X Broadswords. Such much disappointment when I figured out the turret can't be slaved yet (piss!). The handling made it a mess anyway - - I'll be happy to see that fixed.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
You can already have a 2D radar in a MFD from some ships that normally use the 3D radar (but you must set it each time you enter the pilot seat).

Here is in my Aurora LN:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
yea a lot of people don't realize you can change the mfd display. can cycle through several screens. I haven't tried it on many ships though so can't comment on how it works game wide.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
yea a lot of people don't realize you can change the mfd display. can cycle through several screens. I haven't tried it on many ships though so can't comment on how it works game wide.

Yeah...count me as one of those "lot of people". I had no idea you could do what Seba just showed in his video (thanks Seba!)

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
You can already have a 2D radar in a MFD from some ships that normally use the 3D radar (but you must set it each time you enter the pilot seat).

Here is in my Aurora LN:

I didn't know that - - cool! Looks like I can change it on the Vanguard and the Sabre (not the current Hornet, though). Looks a bit small on the MFD, but it's better than nothing.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Yeah...count me as one of those "lot of people". I had no idea you could do what Seba just showed in his video (thanks Seba!)

I learned the hardway. Accidentally changed one of the screens to something besides radar and had no idea what happened.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So, is this game going to be on the scale where people with custom setups (much like the ones in this thread) will have an easier time than people who just have a keyboard and mouse? This is looking to be similar to an old Genesis mech game that was almost $200 because it came with its own custom controller.