Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 265 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
You ever drink a little too much and stuff just magically appears from Amazon or NewEgg a few days later?

Logged into my Hangar for the first time in a few months and noticed I picked up 2 Argos. I have no recollection of this purchase. :) I don't even want a single Argo - let alone two. lol

Ah well....I may upgrade one of them to the Cutlass if I end up liking the rework.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
You ever drink a little too much and stuff just magically appears from Amazon or NewEgg a few days later?

Logged into my Hangar for the first time in a few months and noticed I picked up 2 Argos. I have no recollection of this purchase. :) I don't even want a single Argo - let alone two. lol

Ah well....I may upgrade one of them to the Cutlass if I end up liking the rework.

Lol, I pretty much did the same thing. I had picked up the two pack with LTI. I think I turned the cargo version into a Taurus with LTI. Not sure what I'll do with the other. It's kinda cute, I guess.

Kapav

Oct 7, 2016
Procedural planet tech is great, but I'm much more worried about the gameplay elements on those planets. Infinity also had an amazing looking planetary generation system years ago, but that's really all it was, a way to generate pretty planets.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
In the latest RtV, Erin mentioned that we would see AI by 3.0, then said well probably in SQ42, as if to suggest we'd see in there first. This makes me think SQ42 is just around the corner and likely closer than 3.0.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Unfortunately, this can also be interpreted that 3.0 is further away than we think (if it will come after Squadron 42).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

You sure they're yours and not just part of the "all ships are flyable this week" thing? There are two flyable types of Argos.......coincidence?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
In the latest RtV, Erin mentioned that we would see AI by 3.0, then said well probably in SQ42, as if to suggest we'd see in there first. This makes me think SQ42 is just around the corner and likely closer than 3.0.

I don't think so. Erin was talking about the SQ42 DEMO, not the release of the actual game. AI will be seen in the DEMO, before 3.0 is released (meaning, we'll probably get to see the SQ42 demo during the Anniversary or Holiday livestreams).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Procedural planet tech is great, but I'm much more worried about the gameplay elements on those planets. Infinity also had an amazing looking planetary generation system years ago, but that's really all it was, a way to generate pretty planets.

I have the same concern. All we've seen from CIG for the past 1.5 years is that they can produce very pretty visuals. They've proven that to me. Time to move on and prove to me they can build an interesting, fun, engaging game (within those pretty visuals). Unfortunately, evidence of substantive gameplay is currently very lacking. We get lots of verbal descriptions (i.e. we'll have 100s of ship components that you can configure and tweak to customize your ship's performance) but then we don't see much in-game evidence.

In 2017, the rubber should meet the road (so to speak). As soon as 3.0 we should be able to see if CIG can make something as mundane sounding as Cargo Transport......fun.

Kapav

Oct 7, 2016
I can kind of understand why they're putting so much effort into the visuals because that's easier to market than gameplay, which needs to actually be played to judge. I feel like their environment tech is definitely at the point where it's good enough (honestly it looks great), they need to move on and concentrate on different things.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
That AI thing is at about 50m:50s:

I do not hear him saying the word "demo" at that point, but it is not very clear what he meant.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Lol, I pretty much did the same thing. I had picked up the two pack with LTI. I think I turned the cargo version into a Taurus with LTI. Not sure what I'll do with the other. It's kinda cute, I guess.

It kind of is. I might fly it around a bit just for grins, but I'm in the same boat....not sure what I want to do with the other one yet. I don't really have any dedicated cargo ships, so I could bump it up to a Hull or something, but I don't really have much interest in cargo. Same with the Herald - cool concept, but it's not a profession I would see myself getting into when I could be out exploring the stars or playing cat-and-mouse as a bounty hunter. Already have all the dogfighters I want. Hmmm.....I'm actually pretty intrigued with the Genesis, but that's something I'm probably just going to wait for in-game to go for (it's not an upgrade option ATM anyway).

Or maybe I'll just hang on to it until I see what kind of snub comes with the Carrack - - I might like the Argo better, and it will likely fit.

You sure they're yours and not just part of the "all ships are flyable this week" thing? There are two flyable types of Argos.......coincidence?

Indeed they're mine - they're in my Hangar account.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Today's ATV was worth the watch. It was a great look behind the scenes at all the work they put in to getting the Citizencon content up, and why they decided to withhold the SQ42 demo. Apparently it was to be an hour long.

Lots of anecdotes, and lots of short behind the scenes clips of what they wanted to show, what was working, and what wasn't.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Today's ATV was worth the watch. It was a great look behind the scenes at all the work they put in to getting the Citizencon content up, and why they decided to withhold the SQ42 demo. Apparently it was to be an hour long.

Lots of anecdotes, and lots of short behind the scenes clips of what they wanted to show, what was working, and what wasn't.

I thought it was very good. I think sometimes that it's easy to forget just how much boots-on-the-ground work game development at this level takes. Yeah, I'm disappointed they didn't show SQ42, as is the entire community, but I can understand (to a certain extent) why they didn't do it. It's more than just community scrutiny at this point - it's nearly every gaming media outlet that places a microscope on anything CIG makes public.

If I have confidence in anything, it's not Chris Roberts, it's the profoundly skilled people he has surrounded himself with. You can tell they are all excited about what they're creating, and that's what elevates my stokage. If the guys who are making the tech happen have as much faith in the end result as the "dreamer," then I have confidence they can make it happen.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
With that awesome list, you really must add a Mustang Delta. This could even take care of your extra Argos "problem".

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I thought it was very good. I think sometimes that it's easy to forget just how much boots-on-the-ground work game development at this level takes. Yeah, I'm disappointed they didn't show SQ42, as is the entire community, but I can understand (to a certain extent) why they didn't do it. It's more than just community scrutiny at this point - it's nearly every gaming media outlet that places a microscope on anything CIG makes public.

If I have confidence in anything, it's not Chris Roberts, it's the profoundly skilled people he has surrounded himself with. You can tell they are all excited about what they're creating, and that's what elevates my stokage. If the guys who are making the tech happen have as much faith in the end result as the "dreamer," then I have confidence they can make it happen.

I don't understand why the media matter at all. CIG doesn't need gaming media as a marketing tool. They've already raised $127+ million mostly without the media. So if CIG had given us another buggy "Morrow Tour" demo of SQ42....with pop out, clipping, no hair characters, out of sync voices, etc. Who cares? The community certainly didn't last year. And I don't remember volumes of critical outrage from the media either. And if the media does write a scathing review of a buggy tech demo? All will be forgotten when CIG puts out the game of the century (actually, it might not be forgotten by CIG at which time they could politely refuse an interview and give time to outlets who provided more fair and balanced coverage).

I agree with your statement on Chris Roberts. Erin, Brian, Tony and others seem to be brilliant and genuinely excited about what they're building.

With that awesome list, you really must add a Mustang Delta. This could even take care of your extra Argos "problem".

Good point!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

It was excellent. But it also pissed me off. There was plenty of SQ42 content they could have shown. Just the tidbits shown in that AtV were more than enough. They literally could have shown a powerpoint presentation with a slide of each deck's uniforms (they said something about 70 characters on nine different decks, each with a different uniform).....and that would have been a helluva lot better than a 30 minute powerpoint on Space Facebook.

Just my opinion, but CIG need to understand....we don't need perfect, polished demos, we need evidence of progress (dare I say: we deserve it?). It's pretty sad when an AtV episode shows more evidence of progress than an entire conference devoted to the game's fans.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Hmmmmm......always wanted to try those Delta dumbfire rockets. :)

I was actually considering the Beta. I love that nice "space camper" interior. That's how you design a single-seat explorer (I'm looking at you 315p).

FbxCFih.jpg

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Yes, Mustang Beta is nice and should be useful. And it is also $25 cheaper than Delta. Just not much of a fighter.

Mustang Beta is one of my possible options for my ship from the game package (Aurora LN). Only a $5 upgrade (same price as for the upgrade from Argo Cargo to Mustang Beta). I do not want to upgrade that non-LTI ship too much. Other option is $0 CCU to a Dragonfly. Or sell it in-game (for UEC, when it will be possible). Or maybe they will improve it.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I have a soft spot for my space camper beta. Touring the verse casually with that view will be nice.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Flew around the PU last night in my Ghost (only the 2nd time I've had the time to log in since 2.5).

Noticed that the Flashfire puck from the VD store actually works on it now....not sure how much it is going to effect the stealth though, but at least it gives you some options on versatility.

Also, is it just me, or is ESP a lot less effective now?

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Yes, Mustang Beta is nice and should be useful. And it is also $25 cheaper than Delta. Just not much of a fighter.

What attracts me to it is that it supposedly has a really long range, and will probably be really cheap to operate for just buzzing around the 'verse. But yeah - - that loadout. If you could at least put S2s on the "wing" tips, it would be alright.

That's what has me keeping the 315p around - - the pending rework hopefully does something to remedy the hopelessly horrible interior design, and it is quite capable of defending itself with a decent loadout (and it's faster).

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
What attracts me to it is that it supposedly has a really long range, and will probably be really cheap to operate for just buzzing around the 'verse. But yeah - - that loadout. If you could at least put S2s on the "wing" tips, it would be alright.

That's what has me keeping the 315p around - - the pending rework hopefully does something to remedy the hopelessly horrible interior design, and it is quite capable of defending itself with a decent loadout (and it's faster).

My concern is with its fragility landing. And if things end up the way the flight speed changes they just made are indicating, it won't be able to outrun much either.

I'm hopeful for the 315p too. Since I melted my 300i to contribute to my explorer's pack, I now have the 315p, for better or worse.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Also, is it just me, or is ESP a lot less effective now?
Yes, ESP is not working properly in 2.5.0.

My concern is with its fragility landing.
Mustangs with broken wings/skids used to sit on the belly. That lead to problems with exiting/entering and with repairs.

Yesterday I used a Mustang Beta for a while and got both wings destroyed. I landed normally at Port Olisar. The ship just levitates now (like the wings are still there). Not a good solution to that problem.

Last edited: