Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 264 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Citizencon 2016 showed backers exactly 0 seconds of actual in-game gameplay. Nothing in the 2.6 build. Nothing in the 3.0 build. Nothing in the SQ42 build. Just a highly scripted, on rails tech demo showcasing pretty visuals (yes, there were game play elements in this demo....but that's not an actual game build). It's really strange.

I think it's likely because that's where their focus has been. Mostly on the tech, and building the tools for content generation. Sean mentioned wanting to give the tech guys some glory.

So even though I was bummed that we only got a split second of 'suspected' SQ42 footage (the Mark Hamill cameo), seeing all their work on content generation tools come to fruition actually has me pretty stoked. To me it helps establish and verify what CR claimed back at Gamescon.. that they were finally getting their tools to the stage they could focus on content instead of tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
New_Bitmap_Image.jpg

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Citizencon 2016 showed backers exactly 0 seconds of actual in-game gameplay. Nothing in the 2.6 build. Nothing in the 3.0 build. Nothing in the SQ42 build. Just a highly scripted, on rails tech demo showcasing pretty visuals (yes, there were game play elements in this demo....but that's not an actual game build). It's really strange.

You got a Mark Hamill cameo though! Surely that should satisfy you for a couple of months?

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Small but pertinent news....Matt Sherman has confirmed that the Cutlass will be able to carry a Dragonfly post-rework.

I'm actually pretty excited to see the results of this rework. I don't have any interest in pirating, but the Cutlass platform has always been, IMO, one of the more potentially versatile ones in the game. Medium sized, can bring a friend, good cockpit visibility, large interior you could do a lot of different things with.

If they would offer an explorer variant (which it would be perfect for) instead of the awkward lineup they have now, I would be all over it. Maybe even my "daily driver."

Amazing. Can't wait to go exploring on planets, but I don't have a Dragonfly and won't be buying one (for real cash) either. :(

I'm guessing they'll be pretty cheap to buy (or maybe rent) in-game.

Or maybe on some of these planets there will be some six-legged space horses or something running around you can lash up to for a ride. ;)

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Amazing. Can't wait to go exploring on planets, but I don't have a Dragonfly and won't be buying one (for real cash) either. :(

Based on the tech demo we just witnessed, they'll just be sitting around, gassed up, ready to go. You just need to kill a few sand people first.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
So how soon until the Star Marine module is released?

Next patch (2.6). No release info on it - the general conservative expectation is that it will be out before the end of the year. Hoping that it gets into private PTU hands this month and possibly PTU / LIVE in November - but that could be a bit too hopeful.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
They did not said anything about that at Citizencon 2016 (or if they did, I missed it), but I think that one of the 3.x patches will introduce in-game components purchases and later ship purchases with aUEC (components and ships purchased this way will not be permanent).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
They did not said anything about that at Citizencon 2016 (or if they did, I missed it), but I think that one of the 3.x patches will introduce in-game components purchases and later ship purchases with aUEC (components and ships purchased this way will not be permanent).
Yes. Economy/shopping details were curiously absent from the roadmap presented.

Feb 4, 2009
Small but pertinent news....Matt Sherman has confirmed that the Cutlass will be able to carry a Dragonfly post-rework.

I'm actually pretty excited to see the results of this rework. I don't have any interest in pirating, but the Cutlass platform has always been, IMO, one of the more potentially versatile ones in the game. Medium sized, can bring a friend, good cockpit visibility, large interior you could do a lot of different things with.

If they would offer an explorer variant (which it would be perfect for) instead of the awkward lineup they have now, I would be all over it. Maybe even my "daily driver."

I'm guessing they'll be pretty cheap to buy (or maybe rent) in-game.

Or maybe on some of these planets there will be some six-legged space horses or something running around you can lash up to for a ride. ;)

Yay! I've been thinking of melting my Cutlass for something else but I really like they way it looks and what it could be.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Huge RTV just went up. Great stuff. I thought this would be of particular interest. From INN's TLDR:

[20:00] Q: What is the current status of instancing?

A: Could already do some instancing if they wanted. Short term they can probably get up to 200 players in an instance after code refactor coming with 3.0 which bring improved performance. Long term they will be using server meshing to allow for much larger numbers of players in a given area interacting with each other (i.e. up to 2000).

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
That ^ and they also confirmed that all tech we saw on Citizencon 2016 Procedural Planets v.2 Demo will be in Alpha 3.0.

Most are somewhat disappointed by Citizencon 2016, but for me it was very good. Not pleased with the delays, though.

Kapav

Oct 7, 2016
I've been burned by waits before, especially with Infinity The Quest for Earth seemingly getting bogged down in "technology" development and not actual gameplay development. There's a lot of promise here though and I'm excited.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Yay! I've been thinking of melting my Cutlass for something else but I really like they way it looks and what it could be.

I would definitely hold on - - they indicated the new Cutlass would be in 3.0. Just judging by the latest work on the Caterpillar, I expect to be impressed (unless they decide to stick another strut in the middle of the canopy....seems to be their MO lately).

Feb 4, 2009
I would definitely hold on - - they indicated the new Cutlass would be in 3.0. Just judging by the latest work on the Caterpillar, I expect to be impressed (unless they decide to stick another strut in the middle of the canopy....seems to be their MO lately).

When I got it I hoped it would be like a smaller gunship, not too fast but hits hard and you could use the tractor beam thing to board another ship. Hopefully that's what it becomes.

Feb 4, 2009
I've been burned by waits before, especially with Infinity The Quest for Earth seemingly getting bogged down in "technology" development and not actual gameplay development. There's a lot of promise here though and I'm excited.

A smart position buy in when you are ready.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I've honestly just stopped telling friends to check it out until 3.0 drops to LIVE and the patch rotation is completed for it. With the current netcode, I think anyone who tries it now is just going to get a bad impression.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
3.0 will be also a much clearer indication if they can make it or not. It includes the biggest two things that may bring the entire Star Citizen project to a halt if they are not up to the task: the new netcode and the Procedural Planets tech. From the Citizencon 2016 demo, the Procedural Planets tech already looks good.

While AI also gives them some trouble, I think that this is solvable (other games have it).

First Person Shooters are also done to death by many games (not with unified view, that is true), so I am not worried for that part, either.

Last edited: