Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 262 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Because gameplay wise its good.
I assume you would rather enjoy a more realistic space battle.
Like shooting rockets to dots on the radar 300 million miles away.

eve has the most realistic space battles. autocannons would be fired by computer to hit a target traveling at 500 meters per second 45km away against the inky blackness of space.

my fidelity is shattered sitting in a space b52 bomber with my space leather cap on that cost my irl money going 500mph and shooting my space 50 cal by hand. let me check my golf swing mechanic to see if we can lock on target.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
eve has the most realistic space battles. autocannons would be fired by computer to hit a target traveling at 500 meters per second 45km away against the inky blackness of space.

my fidelity is shattered sitting in a space b52 bomber with my space leather cap on that cost my irl money going 500mph and shooting my space 50 cal by hand. let me check my golf swing mechanic to see if we can lock on target.

Ah....nice to see shi*poster is back. It's video games dude. Talking about Eve and criticizing SC for folks spending "irl money?" Okay. :)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
oh its a video game. Got it. So its not a space farm drink making mini game with accurate space physics. I like it better now.

Malibutomi

Sep 25, 2016

Understood. Go play EVE then. Don't play SC, don't watch SW, don't watch Battlestar Galactica. Basically don't consume any sci-fi movie or game, because there will be human interaction in the fight, not computer controlled.

I get it you only come here to bash on SC, and that is ok there are people who live to cr*p on things not to enjoy what they like.
Your only problem is, you are very bad at it. Sometimes its embarrassing to watch how hard you try. :)

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'm convinced that Chris Roberts stole JSt0rm's girlfriend. Nothing else explains the obsession.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The more I read about the AI system they're putting in place, the more I want to see it in action. I'm hoping for Star Marine bots in 2.6, but they haven't indicated that they're going to be included. The subsumption system sounds pretty interesting....some info in the Sean Tracy interview above.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
The more I read about the AI system they're putting in place, the more I want to see it in action. I'm hoping for Star Marine bots in 2.6, but they haven't indicated that they're going to be included. The subsumption system sounds pretty interesting....some info in the Sean Tracy interview above.

I'd hope there would be some bot AI in Star Marine. Why? Because if I can play Star Marine as a private match locally with just bots it'll help me experience smoother fps gameplay.

Feb 4, 2009
Interesting
*this is pure speculation*
AMD has some new CPUs coming soon that have better working pipelines and support virtual cores like intels i7s. I wonder if Star Citizen could be good for AMD assuming they can pull off a decent 8 physical & 8 virtual core machine.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting
*this is pure speculation*
AMD has some new CPUs coming soon that have better working pipelines and support virtual cores like intels i7s. I wonder if Star Citizen could be good for AMD assuming they can pull off a decent 8 physical & 8 virtual core machine.
Not holding my breath on a decent AMD CPU. They are at least 5 years behind Intel at the moment. Heck, they havn't even released a faster CPU than the FX-9590 which came out 4 years ago and that couldn't even beat Intel's i7-2600 which had been on the market for 2 years before that..

Feb 4, 2009
Not holding my breath on a decent AMD CPU. They are at least 5 years behind Intel at the moment. Heck, they havn't even released a faster CPU than the FX-9590 which came out 4 years ago and that couldn't even beat Intel's i7-2600 which had been on the market for 2 years before that..

I know, I've pretty much given up on AMD too but we can hope.

the one AMD machine I have built has been nothing but problems and over the coarse of time I've easily spent the $125 I saved over a proper intel machine.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I know, I've pretty much given up on AMD too but we can hope.

the one AMD machine I have built has been nothing but problems and over the coarse of time I've easily spent the $125 I saved over a proper intel machine.

I've given up hope too. Which is unfortunate. The last thing PC gamers need is a monopoly in the CPU market. That never ends well for the consumer....

Malibutomi

Sep 25, 2016

Most of their problem was manufacturing process, they were stuck on 28nm planar trying to compete with intels 22nm Finfet (Ivy, Haswell) and 14nm Finfet process (Skylake).
Now the manufacturing companies finally reached the same process (14nm Finfet).
AMD dropped the core structure of the FX cpus, and made Zen structure closer to an i7.

They may not catch up to the newest intel cannonlake, but if they have somethong comparable to skylake or between haswell-skylake, then AMD cpus can be a viable option.
Afterall, the CPU only needs to be powerful enough to drive your GPU to 100% in games. A Haswell is more than capable to do that paired with even the newest GPUs.

So if the price is right, and the CPU is not the strongest, but capable then its a good option.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Anyone have thoughts on the Polaris? I like it a lot more than I thought I would. I think it looks awesome and I like its role.

Edit: some pics, if you haven't seen.

03EPfq0.jpg

7KyB5CQ.jpg

Polaris-Landed.jpg

200w.gif

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Anyone have thoughts on the Polaris? I like it a lot more than I thought I would. I think it looks awesome and I like its role.

I think it's a great looking design....don't have any interest in it though as I'm more of an explorer than a fighter.

I haven't been able to ascertain what the big top-door is for - - they didn't mention it being able to carry ships did they? Looks like it's big enough to house a couple of Gladii in there.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
It can carry, rearm, and refuel one fighter or light bomber (so, up to a single Gladiator). The top doors are retractable and expose the lift for the hangar. Lots of turrets, 26 or 28 s6 torpedoes (much larger than the Tali's), capital power plant, and pretty tough shielding. 150m long or so.

You can see the torpedoes in the background here:

CDnS4jZ.webp

More info:
bt9XINO.jpg

wLD2SRz.webp

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
It can carry, rearm, and refuel one fighter or light bomber (so, up to a single Gladiator). The top doors are retractable and expose the lift for the hangar. Lots of turrets, 26 or 28 s6 torpedoes (much larger than the Tali's), capital power plant, and pretty tough shielding. 150m long or so.

I think it fits in a good place. Folks who want to get into Capital fights without going as far as the Idris and such.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Just spend some cash. I'm in. My friend has been in since the very beginning and has bought every ship and everything else. I'm sticking close to him since he's going to be some kind of mega power when the MMO finally launches.

Reactions: JSt0rm

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I think it fits in a good place. Folks who want to get into Capital fights without going as far as the Idris and such.

I think it's awesome looking. But I'm still not convinced that single individuals will be able to afford to operate capital ships. In real life, only governments that can print money can afford to operate capital military vessels. I know this is a video game and doesn't have to reflect real life, but in my opinion only the the UEE should be operating ships like the Polaris/Idris/etc.

Reactions: JSt0rm

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I think it's awesome looking. But I'm still not convinced that single individuals will be able to afford to operate capital ships. In real life, only governments that can print money can afford to operate capital military vessels. I know this is a video game and doesn't have to reflect real life, but in my opinion only the the UEE should be operating ships like the Polaris/Idris/etc.

It's definitely being sold more for organizations style operations (aka planetary defense and militias). I don't think it's intended to be solo'd, but it can be more easily operated than an Idris.

What is the current "best" exploration ship? At a reasonable price :p

Well, since exploration isn't implemented yet and many exploration ships are being redone or simply aren't finished yet, it's hard to say. Depends on what your definition of reasonable is.