Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 188 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ToySoldier

Dec 17, 2003
Well it's official now: Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are splitting into separate products on 2/14 (I swear CIG have a twisted sense of humor...splitting on Valentines Day, fish in our hangars on 4/1 last year......)

It'll be interesting to see how this changes their approach to fundraising.

For anyone remotely interested in this project, I think now is the time to back. The cost of entry could double on 2/14.

Yup... crowd funding is skyrocketing as of today now that the word is being put out. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

https://youtu.be/ypGsLuJNPI8

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
This is going to be the most expensive game in human history and when I mean by that it mean I'm going to spend lot of money to build a computer that can run this game. No other game would I justify the cost and this is only after I look at game play and determine for myself if it worth it or not.

Feb 4, 2009
This is going to be the most expensive game in human history and when I mean by that it mean I'm going to spend lot of money to build a computer that can run this game. No other game would I justify the cost and this is only after I look at game play and determine for myself if it worth it or not.

I respect this opinion, I do have to say flight mode and social module work well on my aging Q9650. Admittedly I don't know my fps and I recently added an amd r280X but my machine is modest at best today. **disclaimer I haven't played the dog fighting aspect yet.**
When its released I think most gamer machines should handle it fine

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Game runs a lot smoother now than the first buggy pre-alpha. GTX 970 or R9 290 should be plenty for a decent experience. I think a mid-range 14nm FF+ part would do just fine by the time the game is ready for release.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Looks like a free weekend with a few extra ships in hangar to take for a spin.

Nothing special though. I tried all 3 and still wanted to just use my Avenger.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Looking at the pledges they include the download of both games. I still can't see putting $53+ down on the game yet.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Looking at the pledges they include the download of both games. I still can't see putting $53+ down on the game yet.

It's totally worth it. This game is the epitome of #pcmasterrace

I've already had some crazy fun and memorable dog fights that were worth the price of admission alone.

Feb 4, 2009
Picture added for TechBoy

eR6I3bl.jpg

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011

A couple days ago I traded in my Mustang for an Avenger. I see why you like it. It's a pretty bad ass ship. I'm sure as ship stats get sorted out it won't be the same but right now its my favorite.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

The Avenger is pretty much outperforming everything but the SH right now.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

They will until February 14. Then they will be split. We don't know what the new prices will be, but I anticipate an increase.

As someone who, three years ago thought this was a big scam, two years ago bought in just in case it wasn't (with lots of doubts), and one year ago became totally enamored with Squadron 42 (and now I'm even starting to like the idea of SC too), I can say it's money well spent.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
im not that good at arena commander. But I'm getting fairly comfortable with the controls and starting to have moments of clarity where I think I do pretty good. It's pretty fun killing 3 vanduuls in a row when you're 8 waves deep and on your last span. The game has made me yell out loud a few times already.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Cool video. I like how you have the secondary camera showing you on the controls.

Thanks. It's not much, I know. I was really just trying to work out the process of making a video like that.

What do you think of the secondary camera positioning, focus, and size on screen?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I think it's good. You can clearly see all controls. I wouldn't change a thing.

TechBoyJK....I gotta ask: is your chair reclined? I can't tell if you're just leaning backwards or if your chair is reclined. Does looking upwards at the screen all the time strain your neck?

Also, what do you have on the other two monitors? Just static images of stars?

Regardless, I agree with Stringjam....and I enjoyed watching your video.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
TechBoyJK....I gotta ask: is your chair reclined? I can't tell if you're just leaning backwards or if your chair is reclined. Does looking upwards at the screen all the time strain your neck?

Just noticed that after reading your comment.

Oh...one thing, sometimes your head blocks the view of the other stick. Maybe move the camera over a bit if that's possible.

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
So after 10 months, I updated the game and tried it again... I'm lost.
I was on that space station, asked for a ship, went "out", got in the ship and flew a little bit...
Went back to the station and tried landing, after struggling quite a lot, I figured "F" did the trick. The problem was when I wanted to get out of the ship, maybe it was a bug, because my character fell out of the station and died.

What's the downside if you die/crash a ship? Do you lose something?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I was on that space station, asked for a ship, went "out", got in the ship and flew a little bit...
Went back to the station and tried landing, after struggling quite a lot, I figured "F" did the trick. The problem was when I wanted to get out of the ship, maybe it was a bug, because my character fell out of the station and died.

No downside. There is no persistence yet in the Universe.

CTRL F is the new hotkey to exit a cockpit.

Feb 4, 2009

Join the anandtech org, you can join multiple organizations

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/OLDSBAMENT

You can be our 30th Baller!