Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 284 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Fixed that for you. It is a much more realistic date given the way they handle dates, and it coincides with big star citizen events (anniversary).

Hey now. CIG can learn from past mistakes. But to be honest, here's how I think this all goes down: the delta patcher is rolled out in June and with it a 2.7 patch that contains a key new feature (probably item 2.0 system) to pacify the masses. Then a 2.8 patch in October. 2.9 in November. Finally 3.0 (which at that point just adds landing zones and advanced AI) in December.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
They're doing away with $0 CCU's because they think it's giving them a bad impression of what ships people want... People are buying ships they don't really want so they can get CCU's to other ships, or something like that. So cost will go up to $5.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
At this point, it looks like all CCUs will have a $5 tax, not just $0 CCUs.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Original announcement made by Tyler:

Hey everyone,

Per our pricing announcement policy: the next ship concept sale, launching May 19th, will be $275 (credit.) This one is TOP SECRET, so we can’t even announce a name yet… but I think you’ll be very happy when you see what the ship team has for you this time around!

I would also like to announce an upcoming change to the CCU system. Starting with this sale, the base price for all CCUs will be $5. We’ve been thinking about this change for a while because there are currently 1.1 million unused CCUs in our system. That’s great for funding because it means there are a million potential ships backers can upgrade to at any time. It’s not so good for our designers, who use data on ships owned in their balancing work. As you can imagine, that’s getting more important the closer we get to the in-game economy!

We’re going with this route because it still allows you to make changes in your ships but will hopefully limit the amount of previously-$0 ‘cross grade’ CCUs that are being stockpiled for a number of reasons (some as intended, others not!) The additional $5 will be included in the ship’s overall value, so it will be returned should you decide to melt something. This will not impact existing CCUs already purchased and it will not change your ability to melt older ships for credit to switch over to a new concept.

That’s it for this week; I can’t wait to see what you think of the Ec…xcellent ship we’ve cooked up.

And then this post from Ben:

9ZIEl0O.png

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Cross Chassis Upgrade. So, the ability to trade a ship for another of equal or greater value. If I have ship A, I can "buy" a CCU to ship B for the difference in price, or zero dollars if they are equal. The CCU is a separate item that you aren't not required to use right away. So what a lot of people do is buy a crap ton of CCUs for zero dollars so they can swap back and forth between ships in the same price range and then just hold on to them until they feel like swapping. It sounds like they have over a million of these zero-dollar trades sitting in peoples accounts.

Reactions: Malogeek

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Cross Chassis Upgrade. So, the ability to trade a ship for another of equal or greater value. If I have ship A, I can "buy" a CCU to ship B for the difference in price, or zero dollars if they are equal. The CCU is a separate item that you aren't not required to use right away. So what a lot of people do is buy a crap ton of CCUs for zero dollars so they can swap back and forth between ships in the same price range and then just hold on to them until they feel like swapping. It sounds like they have over a million of these zero-dollar trades sitting in peoples accounts.
Sounds like a bad idea to price them at $0 initially. At least it's changed now.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Sounds like a bad idea to price them at $0 initially. At least it's changed now.
You had no clue what a CCU is, but 20 minutes later you are sure it was a bad idea.

If you exchange a $100 bill for five $20 bills, would you say that it is a scam? And maybe you should only get four $20 bills, to be a fair exchange?

Or if you buy apples but get oranges, would you be OK with the situation?

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
You had no clue what a CCU is, but 20 minutes later you are sure it was a bad idea.
uh yeah? I couldn't form an opinion on it until I knew what it was? How is that a problem?

IMO a $5 charge is appropriate for the service, it's as simple as that. You don't have to like my opinion but that's ok, this is a public forum where we're allowed to do that. I could start making analogous situations but I really don't give a shit.

Feb 4, 2009
If Chris is smart he'd allocate the $5 to some kind of charity no rational person would have a problem with since his funding model is so prone to drama

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
It is obvious they did it for money and not for "ship balancing". They could have removed them or allow just 1 per year or something like that. Plenty of options, but they chose the money.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I haven't really ccu'd much. I think once. I either just rent ships with rec credit or use other peoples stuff.

It's reasonable to me that because of free CCU's, ship purchase data is somewhat skewed because what people are using now doesn't necessarily represent what they want and the free CCU thing allows these exchanges to without cost.

$5 isn't a huge deal to me, but I'm hardly passionate about CCU's, and with no subscription model or actual game sales yet, I'm permissive of it.

Other than having to pay $5 to trade a ship, is there a big downfall I'm missing? I'm not buying any more ships anytime soon and I'm happy with what I have.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
The big downfall is that this game seems to turn into a micro-transactions game.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
It is obvious they did it for money and not for "ship balancing". They could have removed them or allow just 1 per year or something like that. Plenty of options, but they chose the money.

Seba out of curiosity, if CIG really was this money-hungry entity you are alluding to, why did they remove the $5 Arena Commander pass (plus the $5 Star Marine pass, plus the $5 alpha PU pass)?

Remember, the original plan (which they should have stuck with) was to charge backers a $5 pass to access every different module (other than the hangar module). But greedy CIG decided not to go that direction....

Which is unfortunate since they would have made a lot more money doing that than $5 CCU charges.......

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Great points. With all the crap slung at CIG (some with merit, some not), it's easy to get confirmation bias when they do something that could appear 'shady'... with that bias applied.

Bottomline, if they have to take action to create revenue to keep things going, they that's what they have to do. The question then really is how they're managing the money, and that seems.... reasonable for a startup.

The $5 CCU thing doesn't appear as a money grab to me, as it's a small amount, and its really nothing more than a way to parse out who's serious about their ships and who's not. If there's too many people in the room, and some are just wasting space, then it makes sense to charge a small admission fee to sort out the bad apples.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Eh, I can see where they were coming from. if you watch the forums and/or reddit you see people with dozens if not 100s of free CCUs. I could see how that gets to be cumbersome to manage.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Seba out of curiosity, if CIG really was this money-hungry entity you are alluding to, why did they remove the $5 Arena Commander pass (plus the $5 Star Marine pass, plus the $5 alpha PU pass)?
And not long after that they increased the game package price by $15. Or same price, but without Squadron 42. And Aurora LN was no longer an option at that price (only for another $5 or $10 more, depending on your starting point).

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Eh, I can see where they were coming from. if you watch the forums and/or reddit you see people with dozens if not 100s of free CCUs. I could see how that gets to be cumbersome to manage.
If keeping track of 1.1 million CCUs (that is the total number they gave) is such a major problem, then how they will keep track of all the ships, ship damage states, ship weapons, hand weapons, fuel, insurance, ship skins, clothes, other personal items?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
The big downfall is that this game seems to turn into a micro-transactions game.

Except we don't have anything even remotely resembling a game yet.......
And not long after that they increased the game package price by $15. Or same price, but without Squadron 42. And Aurora LN was no longer an option at that price (only for another $5 or $10 more, depending on your starting point).

February 15th 2016 is when the SQ42 game was split as separate game. They got rid of the alpha passes in early 2015. In fact, they even gave everyone who bought an alpha pass 10,000 UEC compensation.