Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 162 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I have a PTU invite but just don't have time until the end of the semester. Too much grading and other work to do. Glad to see the progress though.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Constellation Taurus here. Originally was Freelancer, then Freelancer DUR, now the Taurus...I THINK i'm done upgrading >.>

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I just played the very beginning of the original Dead Space, where you're on a ship's bridge for a bit. Makes me want SC to be done. :p

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Since I'm busy waiting to get an invite to 2.0, I decided to check out my new Redeemer in the hangar.

First impression - IMO it's a great looking "spaceship" looking ship. Seems to have really good forward facing firepower. The top turret should be able to do its job without obstruction 360 degrees. The bottom turret is limited mostly to forward fire because of the troop bay.

redeemer1.jpg

You enter the back through the troop bay. Big roomy area - I hope they offer modules for this, because I don't have much interest in troop hauling.
redeemer2.jpg

Walk up the stairs to the engineering hallway. I hope the 2nd crew member doesn't mind standing. ;)

redeemer3.jpg

Walking up the little stairs to the living quarters. This area is nice! Great use of space, and almost makes me think this ship would be suitable as an explorer with the right equipment.

redeemer4.jpg

redeemer6.jpg

Nice shower and toilet rooms. These things are important, you know.

redeemer5.jpg

The very back is a cargo hold. I wish my Vanguard had something like this.

redeemer7.jpg

The view from the cockpit. Like most Aegis ships - very nice.

redeemer8.jpg

Overall I'm pretty impressed. This ship doesn't seem that big to me from the outside, but the interior space seems to be very well utilized. I see a lot of explorer potential if they offer a scanner package. You could even fit a small rover or spacebike in the troop carrier.

Pretty excited to see this thing flyable.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
With 2.0 looming and group play they really need to get cracking on Org 2.0.

Agreed. I'd like to see others ships in our ORG and I'd like to be able to issue more ranks or titles you can only set 3 types currently. I'd like everyone to have their own title like how I made you "Minister of Propaganda" you got people skills.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I'd love to play at all right now, but I'm fed up with AC in 1.3. Now, every time I try to go into any AC match, I end up in a Gladius (which I don't even own). I'd love to fly my P-52 or my newly acquired and decked out 300i (two CF-117's, one CF-227, and missiles), but it refuses. It's kinda crappy the fix for the holotable settings which affect AC is being held until 2.0 drops.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'd love to play at all right now, but I'm fed up with AC in 1.3. Now, every time I try to go into any AC match, I end up in a Gladius (which I don't even own). I'd love to fly my P-52 or my newly acquired and decked out 300i (two CF-117's, one CF-227, and missiles), but it refuses. It's kinda crappy the fix for the holotable settings which affect AC is being held until 2.0 drops.

I haven't visited AC1.3 BR for quite a while. I've mainly just been running around Defford Link in the M50 and 350R to work on my HOSAS skills.

I honestly wish they would completely drop the holotable and just use a simple RPG-style drag/drop inventory interface for ships in the hangar. I've never liked that thing. They could still use an interactive display to keep it immersive.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I heard they stopped work on the ac kernel.

It's not a problem with the kernel. It's transferring the config data from the holotable to AC. It's fixed in 2.0 but they're waiting for it to drop and don't want to push a fix for 1.3.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'd love to fly my P-52 or my newly acquired and decked out 300i (two CF-117's, one CF-227, and missiles), but it refuses.

I really like that loadout for VS with my 315p. The PIPs are pretty close and I think repeaters are the most fun weapons to use.

I did better in BR with 3x Tarantula IIs, just because right now ballistics penetrate shields and damage the hull. I would like to see that significantly reduced so that energy weapons have a stronger role. In the PU where ammo can run out, I think I'm going to primarily be using energy weapons or a mix if I can get the PIPs close enough.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I honestly wish they would completely drop the holotable and just use a simple RPG-style drag/drop inventory interface for ships in the hangar. I've never liked that thing. They could still use an interactive display to keep it immersive.

Completely agree! I hate the holotable as it exists right now.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Completely agree! I hate the holotable as it exists right now.

Just imagine how much time it will take to rig up a ship when we have a bunch more options than we have now:

Engine
Powerplant
Thrusters
Scanners
Targeting computers
Special equipment..etc..

We seriously need a drag/drop grid so we can see everything equipped at one time in a more logical way.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I really like that loadout for VS with my 315p. The PIPs are pretty close and I think repeaters are the most fun weapons to use.

I favor high rate of fire, even if the individual shots are weaker. Lining up the precision shots of slower rate of fire weapons gets old (like the Omnisky's). Plus, no ammo to run out of with the energy weapons so you can let it spray until the object is out of view and be recharged while you come about.

I can't wait to be able to throw what will probably be CF-337s on a Connie. On the receiving end, can you imagine being in a fighter and seeing the wall of four CF-337s' spray coming at your cockpit? Butt-puckering, for sure.

And, I did get it to finally let me into VS with my 300i I got out of the SC gift exchange. With this Bulldog loadout and a proper size 3 shield, it's everything I wanted my 325a to be. Really enjoyed it.

The ship could really use an update pass, but I know the 300s are scheduled balance and details passes so I'm interested in what comes of it.

Just imagine how much time it will take to rig up a ship when we have a bunch more options than we have now:

Engine
Powerplant
Thrusters
Scanners
Targeting computers
Special equipment..etc..

We seriously need a drag/drop grid so we can see everything equipped at one time in a more logical way.

Agreed. The holotable is a disaster. The devs have said that it will be overhauled/replaced one day, but for the moment it "works" if not clumsily. We should see a new interface before official 1.0, though.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
The devs have said that it will be overhauled/replaced one day, but for the moment it "works" if not clumsily. We should see a new interface before official 1.0, though.

Ah sweet. I wasn't sure if the devs had addressed the issue (holotable) or if it was just "me" being picky.

I think the holotable should go away and instead be integrated into a MobiGlass UI of some sort.....which launches bots that fly out of the walls/floor of your hangar and configure your ship as you watch!

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I can't wait to be able to throw what will probably be CF-337s on a Connie. On the receiving end, can you imagine being in a fighter and seeing the wall of four CF-337s' spray coming at your cockpit? Butt-puckering, for sure.

And, I did get it to finally let me into VS with my 300i I got out of the SC gift exchange. With this Bulldog loadout and a proper size 3 shield, it's everything I wanted my 325a to be. Really enjoyed it.

The ship could really use an update pass, but I know the 300s are scheduled balance and details passes so I'm interested in what comes of it.

Indeed!! They need to get chopping on that CF-337 Rhino! Those will definitely be my Connie nacelle guns (and I'll probably put CF-227's on the turret...CIG has confirmed those will be S3s in August).

I'm still up in the air on the missiles. The Tempest IIs reign right now but they require a good amount of time to lock. I think it might be difficult keeping light fighters in lock scope with the Connie. I'll probably try Marksman I's instead. My favorite BR missile because they lock almost instantly and they're wicked fast....just don't do the damage of the Tempests.

Just for fun, I would like to lock all 20 of them onto something at one time. ;)

I'm pretty excited about loading up the Redeemer, but now I'm worried the big Kroneg flank guns are getting axed. I can't seem to find an official answer anywhere...they're still listed on the stats page but they're not equipped on the model anymore and an update in November last year doesn't list them. :(

That would be a pretty significant loss of firepower to lose 4x S4 guns that can shoot forward / backward / broadside.

nQpW0FJ.jpg

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well both stats pages list the FL33's (both the ship matrix and the redemeer's technical overview). Given that we have yet to have the ship in game, I can't see it as a balance issue this early in it's life (Super Hornet didn't lose the 2xS1 nose mounts until after it was just devastating everything in AC). Also given that it's classed as a "gunship", I don't think a Freelancer would have more firepower (which it would if it was missing the 2xdual-S4 FL33's on wings).

I would reason to guess they are not in the current model is because they havn't written the code for the "automated" part of the turret in that orientation.

Last edited: