Staples - PNY 512MB PC 133 SDRAM Memory - $14.94 AC/AR

awrong

Jul 24, 2002
Staples has this PNY 512MB PC 133 SDRAM Memory priced at $59.94 with $20 mail-in-rebate.
There are coupons around for $25 off $29 purchase, which bring the price down to $14.94 after AC/AR.

kdegarmo

May 8, 2001
Originally posted by: awrong
Staples has this PNY 512MB PC 133 SDRAM Memory priced at $59.94 with $20 mail-in-rebate.
There are coupons around for $25 off $29 purchase, which bring the price down to $14.94 after AC/AR.

Wow, $25 off $29 purchase coupons???? I haven't seen those around - any suggestions of where to look? Didn't see them at HeavyWallet or that technicalbargain site.....

Kev

foot

Apr 13, 2000
Perhaps you mean $25 off of $50? Using your math that would still work. I seriously doubt there is a $25 off $29 out there - we'd slowly bankrupt staples by way of $4 purchases.

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
There is a thread now at FW about a $20 off $20 coupon, but people are saying it's a blacklist technique. I guess Staples is fed up with the AT/FW effect.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: nebula
There is a thread now at FW about a $20 off $20 coupon, but people are saying it's a blacklist technique. I guess Staples is fed up with the AT/FW effect.

Well, I just used the $20 off $20 coupon and stacked it with another $20 off $50 coupon. End result: 19.94+1 tax for $20.94. Shipping appears to be free. We'll see if I get it. after rebate, it will cost me 94-cents for a 512Mb stick of PC133 ram. If I get blacklisted, so what? I'm not sure I have ever ordered from the before, anyway!

awrong

Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: foot
Perhaps you mean $25 off of $50? Using your math that would still work. I seriously doubt there is a $25 off $29 out there - we'd slowly bankrupt staples by way of $4 purchases.

It actually stacks $20 off $20 and $5 off $20 coupons, which require a $28.XX in your cart to make this work

Cowtown

Apr 2, 2001
Got in on this one. $60 - $20 coupon - $20 rebate = $20 for 512mb. Not too shabby.... Didn't need this much memory to finish a couple of machines but now I can bump memory down and upgrade every computer in the house. Delivery is showing 3 days now.

On my last order I included a package of $.27 rubber bands to put my order up to a coupon level and I received the rubber bands in a seperate order. They actually came to my house (which is out of town) to deliver my $.27 rubber bands and they did it for free....

rutchtkim

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
watch out for certain coupon codes, like another member said, Staples is FED up with coupon schemes. Forinstance dont use those $20 of $20 codes, nor $25 off $50 codes. Stuff that would be permissible would be stuff like $30 off $150, $50 off $200, etc... However, YMMV

rickmannow

Jan 22, 2003
I have tried every coupon code I could find and the only one that works is the $5 off. Some of them complain that I am using two dollars off coupons, so I might be able to get $10 instead of $5, but it is not worth it to run through the codes again.

I don't believe the blacklist stuff. If they don't want you to use the codes they will just block them. Seems they have been blocking codes today since several people used them in the AM and they are no good in the PM.

I am going to wait for another day to buy this memory.

rolleye.gif

iamWolverine

May 20, 2001
Maybe I'm just a little too tired to figure it out, but what happens when Staples blacklists you? You can't use any more coupons? You can't make orders from them anymore? Why would they refuse future business (even if you are using a coupon now)?

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Well, I have started lurking at that other forum and the deals are PHAT (sic).

Anyway, I think the blacklist thing must be for chronic coupon users, because I checked my order status and the $20 off 420 coupon PLUS $20/$50 coupon worked for me. My order now says shipped, and I'll have the chip for $20.94 ($1 tax) minus the $20 rebate means my total cost AR is 94-cents. WOOHOO! Thanks guys!

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
fat wallet dot com
tech bargains dot com

*hint* *hint* if you can figure it out.

And that is dumb, why would staples black list people?

"Sorry, we cannot sell to you anymore because you're <U>blacklisted</U>. Here's the number to OfficeMax. Go away!"

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
for example a lot of ppl were blacklisted during the handspring visor fiasco less than 2 years ago. but its worth it for the free visors. if ur blacklisted they wont process anymore orders from you ever.

i dont know if they track by phone #, credit card, street address, or name, but it helps to slightly tweak all 4 if u ever want a chance at ordering from staples.com again, coupon or no coupon

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
and dont bother with the double coupons, thats an automatic red flag. u'd have better luck just going with the one

dxpaap

Jul 2, 2001
well can't find the $20 off $50 @ TB must have taken it away

although did find the $20 off $20

Well after entering the $20 off $50 - it actually turned out to be $20 off of $100 !

They must have changed it -

Oh well, snooze you lose :)

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Well, all I can say is...

I got it!

Just got off the phone with my wife and confirmed that UPS had just delievered my 512MB chip. Packing list shows $59.94 minus $40 in coupons plus $3 tax. (Grrr...they charge tax on the entire purchase, I guess, even though online shows $19.94 + $1 tax). Now I'll send in the rebate, and my total, even if they charged $3 tax...is $2.94. I'm stoked. One of my first ever great deals. (Normally too broke to jump on the deals posted here!) :D

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: dude
fat wallet dot com
tech bargains dot com

*hint* *hint* if you can figure it out.

And that is dumb, why would staples black list people?

<STRONG>"Sorry, we cannot sell to you anymore because you're blacklisted. Here's the number to OfficeMax. Go away!"</STRONG>

They'll flag all orders of yours from now on that involve coupons. Most likely they'll make you send them the coupon email or print out to verify that you did indeed actually receive those coupons and they are yours.

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
About the PNY 512MB Memory:

I participated in this deal over a month ago after the usual Staples hassles. We'll I got the rebate and the price, but the memory won't work with any of the three computers I have in the house. PNY RMA'd a PC100 as a replacement and that didn't work either. Only shows half the memory in ALL THREE computers. The PNY "configurator" lists it for the motherboard and it still only shows half. I am sure I'm not the only one. Keep it in mind next time when ordering PNY memory.

rutchtkim

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: craftech
About the PNY 512MB Memory:

I participated in this deal over a month ago after the usual Staples hassles. We'll I got the rebate and the price, but the memory won't work with any of the three computers I have in the house. PNY RMA'd a PC100 as a replacement and that didn't work either. Only shows half the memory in ALL THREE computers. The PNY "configurator" lists it for the motherboard and it still only shows half. I am sure I'm not the only one. Keep it in mind next time when ordering PNY memory.

PNy has been working fine in my boards, what kind of main boards are you using, some older boards will only recognize half the memory size even though they claim to be able to see up to 512

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
The 512MB chip is working fine in my board, too. I have a PC Chips 810LMR board (POS) and it sees the 512 and the 256 (non-PNY) RAM I'm using for a total of 768MB.

My only problem is that I am running 98se and it is running kinda screwy since bumping the ram up so high (Previously has a 256 and a 128 stick for 384MB total) I THOUGHT I had the proper tweaks (system.ini) for 98 to run with >512MB, but maybe I missed something. Oh well. I'm about ready to jump up to XP, anyway.

Northland

Oct 7, 2000
A recent Maximum PC article states that W98SE does not like >512MB memory, but didn't mention any tweaks.

I think their point was that over this limit in this situation is never a good idea.

For what its worth . . .

Northland

Sept1967

Jan 26, 2001
Change your vcache settings.
Vcache settings

I have an XP/Win98se dual boot PC with 1gig of memory, and 98se works just fine after setting the vcache.

Originally posted by: altonb1
The 512MB chip is working fine in my board, too. I have a PC Chips 810LMR board (POS) and it sees the 512 and the 256 (non-PNY) RAM I'm using for a total of 768MB.

My only problem is that I am running 98se and it is running kinda screwy since bumping the ram up so high (Previously has a 256 and a 128 stick for 384MB total) I THOUGHT I had the proper tweaks (system.ini) for 98 to run with >512MB, but maybe I missed something. Oh well. I'm about ready to jump up to XP, anyway.

SLOviper

Jan 2, 2003
The actual issue with 98SE is the video card being addressed as memory. Like most things in 9x, the video card is written to/read from with a memory location and in this case, the location begins at the 1GB mark. Everything above 640KB all the way up to 1GB is reserved for system memory, then the video card uses the next bit of address space, then more components and so on. Sadly, as far as I know, this is hard coded into the OS and cannot be changed. For this reason, you should be able to run anything below 1GB (or at 1GB with video in 640x480 and 256 colors because this mode can be handled within the base 640K of RAM,) but not above. It's been almost a year since I've encountered this problem, but I remember it giving me fits until I realized everything worked perfectly fine with 512 or 768 meg of memory and I went poking around support.microsoft.com for some answers.

Suggestion, use XP or stick with 512. Besides, how are you ever going to fill up a gig of RAM before 98 crashes anyway?

Oh yeah, to be "on topic," this was a pretty sweet deal while it lasted :)