Question *STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to buy a *RELIABLE* NVME-USB external adapter, that doesn't disconnect randomly, can keep up the close to 1GB/s speed.
So far all adapter's reviews contain frighteningly high % of reports of malfunction, random disconnects, sub-par speeds, falling to even under USB 2.0 speeds, etc.
There are 3 main chipsets in the market: JMicron JMS583, Asmedia ASM2362, and Realtek RTL9210 (no product has surfaced with the latter yet, so no REAL reviews, experiences yet UPDATE: it is on the market already).
Also ASUS has a new product, ROG Strix Arion, but there isn't enough feedback about it yet, and I mean real life feedback not just being able to run a few benchmarks, but real stress test to see if the device (adapter) can keep it up, without disconnecting or slowing down hard.
I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have GOOD experiences during stress-tests, like tons of random 4k writes with a stable speed, cloning 100's of GB-s at a stable high speed close to 1GB/s.
I know SSD's very well, so please stick to the point and don't start to educate me on how their speed falls after some writes, etc. I'm aware and this is NOT the point.
You can help if you can point me to a STABLE and RELIABLE NVMe-USB-C adapter that WORKS as expected.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

magnets110

Aug 8, 2021
2 days ago, I received another NMVE case, this time a generic one from AliExpress with RTL9210B IC RTL9210B-CG. It had slightly older 1.24.16 firmware so I flashed 1.25.7 on it. Works fine, no problems. My theory is that both B and non-B 9210 chips share the same firmware but the configs differ slightly. One difference I noticed that RTL9210B uses this value PINMUX2 : 0x00000070 while non-B chip had it set to 0.

Here is the original config file before flashing..
Code:
Device : [Port5] : Realtek RTL9210B NVME #0
U2PHY : 02 f4 9b e0 e1
U3PHY : 02 d4 09 00 d5 00 80
VID : 0x0bda
PID : 0x9210
MANUFACTURE : "Realtek"
PRODUCT : "RTL9210B-CG"
SERIAL : "012345679030"
SCSI_PRODUCT : "RTL9210B NVME   "
SCSI_VENDOR : "Realtek "
DISK_HOTPLUG : 0x00
LED : 0x01
PINMUX1 : 0x00000000
PINMUX2 : 0x00000070
U2_MAXPWR : 0xfa
U3_MAXPWR : 0x70
ASPMDIS : 0x00
PCIE_REFCLK : n/a
DISK_IPS_THRES : 0x05
SWR_1_2V : n/a
EN_UPS : n/a
PD : n/a
CUSTOMIZED_LED : n/a
SUSPEND_LED_OFF : n/a
FORCE_USB_SPEED : n/a
FORCE_PCIE_SPEED : n/a
EN_U1U2 : n/a
FORCE_USB_QUIRK : n/a
FORCE_PCIE_QUIRK : n/a
FAN : 0x00000001
DIS_SHOW_EMPTY_DISK : 0x01
FORCE_SATA_NORMAL_DMA : n/a
UART_DBG_PIN : 0x05
FINGER_PRINT_EN : n/a
RM_INTERNAL_RD : n/a
HS_AUTO_SWITCH : n/a
FP_UART_BAUD_RATE : n/a
CUSTOMIZED_DISK_IDENTIFY : n/a
HW_LED_CFG : n/a
CDROM_CFG : n/a
SUPPORT_HID : n/a
LATE_INIT_DISK : n/a
EFUSE :
       00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
       -------------------------------------------------
   0   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  10   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  20   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  30   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  40   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  50   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  60   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  70   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  80   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  90   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  a0   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
  b0   ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff

Boot Mode : Flash NM
FW Ver : 1.24.16
FW Build Date : 2021.01.26
IC Ver : 0xa0010002
IC Pkg Type : PCIE_SATA
UUID : ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff

Disconn_ForceUSB2 : 0x00

Do you have a link the the aliexpress listing?

Was it listed as RTL9210 or just a generic?

GoOrange

Aug 8, 2021
How do I know what CPU version I have? On mine it says RTL9210 and there is no note A or B.

I have uploaded the latest software to my enclosure and now I have a problem, the enclosure is detected but the disk cannot be initialized.

Can you please help me?

Last edited:

peroko

Jun 8, 2021

peroko

Jun 8, 2021
How do I know what CPU version I have? On mine it says RTL9210 and there is no note A or B.

I have uploaded the latest software to my enclosure and now I have a problem, the enclosure is detected but the disk cannot be initialized.

Can you please help me?
You might have bricked it buddy.

Polymer

Aug 17, 2021
Yesterday I purchased the Jeyi i9 GTR NVMe enclosure (RTL9210B). Got this one because it comes with a nice integrated USB-C cable holder. In the Aliexpress note to the seller field, I requested that the seller flash it with the latest firmware if possible. Should arrive in 2-3 weeks. Will let you guys know how it is.

steve1gb

Jun 26, 2012
I have the Eluteng usb 3.2 10gbps enclosure and it works fine. I flashed it with firmware 1.25.7 and it seems ok. I forgot to take the ssd out when I did it but I do have raspbian os on it but it was fine as windows didnt initialise it or anything.

It looks and feels cheaps compared to the orinco which I had tons of disconnect problems with and returned (maybe it was faulty?) but was built better. Oh and it runs icecool compared to the orinco.

I also have the Unitek S1203A arriving soon.

steve1gb

Jun 26, 2012
Got this:

Unitek S1203A

Whats interesting is it comes with firmware 9.20.4 which doesnt match the normal Realtek firmware scheme.

My ELETUNG enclosure recognized and selected the firmware to flash automatically but this doesnt so I wont flash it.

trOl

Jan 5, 2006
This is a bit odd and if anyone has an idea of what else to try I'd love to hear it.

I have two ORICO rtl9210 enclosures here, purchased at the same time. Both shipped with 1.24.2, TRIM was nonfunctional on linux even with udev rules. I flashed both to 1.23.15 using the serial method with SCSI_PRODUCT and SCSI_VENDOR removed. Including the udev rule to enable unmap provisioning mode I should be good to go, and on one of the enclosures I am and TRIM works perfectly; However the other enclosure still fails when running `blkdiscard`.

I'm not really sure what to do here, I've also tested 1.25.7 on that enclosure and still no joy. The enclosures appear to be identical, yet only one of them allows TRIM. Thoughts?

trOl

Jan 5, 2006
Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

I've just bought my copy of the Orico m2pv-c3 enclosure, put an ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB drive in it.
Everything worked great for the first few hours, but now the drive is randomly losing connection to the computer. I am using a Macbook Pro M1.

Do you think a software update will solve this problem?

Do you guys have any advice for me?

Thank you in advance for your help and sorry for my English.

Greetings
Switch cables and see if that solves the problem, maybe even try flipping the cable around (I'm assuming you're using the C to C cable) and see if one end just makes a bad connection with either the computer or the enclosure.

Polymer

Aug 17, 2021
My RTL9210B enclosure arrived pretty quickly, took only 2 weeks to ship. Looks exactly like in the Aliexpress listing. Came shipped with the firmware at 1.24.16. I might use it with the Crucial P1 or Kingston A2000, still deciding.

Also, here's the cfg dumb:

Code:
Device : [Port4] : Realtek RTL9210B-CG #0
U2PHY : n/a
U3PHY : n/a
SERIAL : "012345678998"
SCSI_PRODUCT : "RTL9210B-CG     "
LED : n/a
PINMUX2 : 0x00000000
DISK_IPS_THRES : n/a
CUSTOMIZED_LED : 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
SUSPEND_LED_OFF : n/a
FAN : n/a
DIS_SHOW_EMPTY_DISK : n/a
EFUSE :

FW Ver : 1.24.16
FW Build Date : 2021.01.26

I'm interested in updating to firmware 1.25.7 available here:

If anyone knows a way to dump my current firmware and use it as a backup, let me know.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    68 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I have two ORICO rtl9210 enclosures here, purchased at the same time. Both shipped with 1.24.2, TRIM was nonfunctional on linux even with udev rules. I flashed both to 1.23.15 ...

I'm not really sure what to do here, I've also tested 1.25.7 on that enclosure and still no joy. The enclosures appear to be identical, yet only one of them allows TRIM. Thoughts?

Quit asking people about thoughts. You really don't want to know.

Which RTL9210? There are two, the original and now rtl9210B. I tried 1.25.7 referenced earlier and it was for the B revision only. I have ORICO PFM2-C3 RTL9210 non-B based and most current is 1.23.15.

arek

Sep 29, 2021
btw:

Got unbranded m.2 enclosure with RTL9210B-CG. Instruction has HY2071 symbols in it and looks like:

It has newer firmware:

Code:
FW Ver : 1.26.7
FW Build Date : 2021.06.28

Code:
Device : [Port1] : Realtek RTL9210B-CG #0
U2PHY : n/a
U3PHY : n/a
SERIAL : "012345679128"
SCSI_PRODUCT : "RTL9210B-CG     "
LED : 0x01
PINMUX2 : 0x00000000
DISK_IPS_THRES : 0x05
CUSTOMIZED_LED : n/a
SUSPEND_LED_OFF : 0x03
FAN : 0x00000001
DIS_SHOW_EMPTY_DISK : 0x01
EFUSE :

FW Ver : 1.26.7
FW Build Date : 2021.06.28

Alexandre68

Oct 1, 2021
After reading the 4-5 previous pages, I ordered a "no name" Realtek RTL9210B-CG enclosure
and a Crucial P2 SSD. They do not work together as expected.

First everything seemed fine, I did some performance check on USB 2 and 3 on linux (Ubuntu 20.04), which looked very promising (with up to 2.4GB/s, 1GB/s for writing a 70GB test file). I checked the firmware of the enclosure from a win10 machine, which turns out to be 1.26.7, so a very recent one apparently.

As everything looked perfect, I started real tests on linux and wrote on it ~400GB, and started being disappointed. After 55GB, it stopped with an error, so I un/re-plugged it, and started again the transfer. At the very end of it, the computer bugged down seriously: all USB peripherals disconnected (mouse, keyboard, ...). The enclosure was warm, but not that much.

After restarting linux, I got difficulties to mount the disk again, it seemed random, perhaps working better from USB 2. It sometimes finds it for some time and then does not see it any more, especially when I try to browse the files written on it. Same behaviour on macos.

I could check the SMART data to see if the SSD was dead, but it looks not: "SMART overall-health serf-assessment test result: PASSED".
I just could not make sure that the cable is not faulty, because I don't have another one.

I formatted the SSD and the mount error was gone, possibly a problem in the file system introduced when the transfer crashed. That makes it quite unreliable.

Is there something I should try or know?

Last edited:

Alexandre68

Oct 1, 2021
I would have tried that, if the enclosure has not died in the mean time, after another test....not recognized anymore by any computer.

I really hesitate in buying another one. Do you guys have a truly stable experience under heavy load, or is it just not good enough yet? Or maybe very dependent on the SSD?

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
I would have tried that, if the enclosure has not died in the mean time, after another test....not recognized anymore by any computer.

I really hesitate in buying another one. Do you guys have a truly stable experience under heavy load, or is it just not good enough yet? Or maybe very dependent on the SSD?
I have transferred 100GB data into my drive, and it's fine after updating the firmware. I installed Ubuntu and Windows 10 with the adaptor to run them as portable OS, and both work fine as well.

Marde

Oct 4, 2021
Hello to everyone,
I read the first page of this thread, then also the last 3 pages (27 thru 29). I never knew this simple USB adapter for M.2 was such a difficult find for a reliable device. After my brief, or very long, 1 or 2 hours of searching (and reading here) I decided to buy only one of these two ext enclosures/adapters shown below:

MOKiN: M.2 NVME NGFF SSD Enclosure Adapter Tool-Free, RTL9210B Chips, USB C 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps NVME, 6Gbps SATA PCIe M-Key(B+M Key), External Solid State Drive Support UASP Trim for SSD Size 2242/2260/2280.
Onamicit/AnkMax: M.2 NVMe+SATA SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB C 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps NVMe PCIe/SATA (NGFF) M-Key(B+M Key),
ANKMAX UC31M2 Support UASP Trim for SSD, Tool-Free Aluminum Solid State Drive External Enclosure

Both (found on amaZone) are based on RTL9210B. Both are also NVMe -and- SATA compatible. I just found and THEN I wanted both in one box, instead of NVMe alone.

My initial needs are for ONLY a single NVME SSD clone. Despite the "standard" English errors within the product descriptions shown above, I bought the MOKiN after a coin flip. It should arrive in a couple days.
This long thread is painful only because there seems to be no consensus about Top-2 best for (1) my use-case or (2) others who need a durable case for daily use, and on-the-go users. Geez, is this subject really that hard or that bad? (( I obviously do not know )).
If this cheap MOKiN box farts, stumbles and/or dies during my single SSD Clone, plus add a 512 to a 1TB SSD upgrade (for old Dell E5570 m.2 PCIe x4) I will come back and let you guys know. The new SSD is a SK hynix Gold P31 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 2280.
-Cheers!

Alpaca786

Oct 3, 2021
Hi there,

I read a large portion of this thread and it contains much useful information. I have two Silverstone MS09 SATA enclosures with VIA Labs VL715.

It has been mentioned multiple times in this thread, that one should buy an ready-to-use external SSD instead of an enclosure, if reliability and stability are most important, as the enclosures often have problems with that. However, I have looked into many external SSDs myself as I thought about buying one. They utilize the same controllers that all those enclosures do and thus people in reviews often complain about the same problems that you guys here had, even top products from Samsung etc.
I came to the conclusion, that there is no benefit in buying an external SSD, as they are pricier in most cases. With an enclosure you can at least easily take the SSD out and put it into a PC in case there are problems. External SSDs also often just use M.2 SSDs inside, but are harder to open.

Some external SSDs have USB-controllers that directly communicate with the NAND-flash, so no need for a bridge controller there. Silicon Motion launched a new one recently, the SM2320. It has the advantage of less power consumption and less heat, but it is DRAMless.
AnandTech recently tested the PCB of the first external SSD with the SM2320. While it is said to have TLC-NAND, after the pSLC cache of ca. 100 GB the write rate dropped below 100 MB/s, which is ridiculously slow and only QLC SSDs are that slow when it comes to internal SSDs.

I might buy an enclosure with the RTL9210B in the future.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
Hello All, I am the Original Poster. I've had my fair share of instability originally with all 3 of my enclosures, all with different chipsets (RTL9210, JMS583, ASM2362). My trial test was running 'AS SSD' Benchmark, that puts a heavy load, and cloning whole systems to the external drives (100+GB of writing, making them very hot), as this was the original purpose of mine: to be able to make an image or a clone of a system (with Acronis True Image, for example) from an internal SSD to an external SSD, but fast!
Recently I had updated all 3 firmwares with the help of this topic, props to all contributors. My Realtek 9210 has been rock stable since, managed to do a full AS SSD benchmark, and can run Window 10 To Go easily, tested on 3 different systems (2 AMD, 1 Intel). It was a Jeyi i9 GTR enclosure.
I did not test the other 2 enclosure yet, with their new FW yet.
What is also very important: quality cables! The shorter, the better. The thicker (more shielding) the better. if you move/wriggle the cable around and the enclosure disconnects: BAD. Of course it can be the socket of the enclosure too, but this amount of data/second needs a very stable physical connection.
All in all, the hunt is still going on for the best solution, but as times goes by, the products are getting better.
All your input is appreciated!

Reactions: -21grams

compguy19

Oct 25, 2021
So I have a Sabrent EC-NVME from a couple years ago. The device id string in device manager indicates it is "USB\VID_152D&PID_0583" which I think is code for the JMS583. The firmware REV_ part of the string indicated that it originally was on 2.0.4. So I ran the Sabrent firmware update tool and now the firmware is showing REV_4101. I was expecting to get the 2.0.9 update. I tried running the other 2.0.9 update exe from digitalssd, but it won't allow it and says something about the device being not supported.

What is the 4101 revision/has anyone seen this? I would have thought it should read 0209 or something along those lines. The device still behaves normally (I think), and still gets a bit warm but the crystaldiskmark tests are saturating the 5Gb usb 3.0 port I tested it on.

salavat

Oct 29, 2021
Hi, just found this thread via google) I have Hagibis enclosure from Aliexpress, which has 2 slots for SATA and NVMe storage.
SATA disk (1Tb) works just fine and it appears to have a separate controller ASMT ASM225. Installed Crucial BX500, speed is not to max (circa 350 MB/s) but it is fine for me, since it was planned to be used for files storage only.

NVMe is powered by Realtek 9210B-CG controller and I put Samsung Evo Plus 512 GB in it. Trying to copy over 20 Gb files to that disk caused SSD disconnect (and reconnect sometimes). Otherwise it works fine. The first thought was that Samsung is getting too hot, and I opened up case and put USB vent directly on the chip. Does not work, so I believe it is not because of the overheat of hotty Samsung chips.

Then I found this thread)). My firmware was a bit newer, yet I flashed it with 1.25.7 version. The disconnect problem is still there)).

Any idea where else to look?)) Thanks

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I bought this one a couple of days ago:

My needs from enclosures tend to differ from most peoples' (I believe), in that my SATA docking bay has probably had hundreds of drives plugged into it and has lasted far longer than its predecessors.

Back to the NVMe enclosure though: Instead of using screw-based mounting points to secure the drive, this one has three plastic clips (one for each size of M2 drive). I've connected up a few M2 drives in PCs so far so I thought I was doing things correctly; I had the drive nicely pushed into the socket then I had to use my nail to pull the clip to secure the drive in position.

Attempts 1, 2, 3, 4: fail. OS reported empty media (tried two NVMe drives). Attempt 5, I really pushed the drive into the socket way more than I've ever had to (almost like when you encounter a super-new and super-stiff USB port), and the clip was acting like it had seen too much action already, but I convinced it to hold on to the drive (and for the actual drive I needed it to interact with). I think the clip will probably break in the next few times I have to use it.

I think anyone buying this enclosure for a single drive always being connected to it should do fine provided that you don't go easy on pushing the drive in the first time.

Alpaca786

Oct 3, 2021
I encountered that enclosure several times (it is sold under different names but probably just imported from the same manufacturer in China). There were always negative reviews that criticised this clip for it being prone to break.