Question *STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to buy a *RELIABLE* NVME-USB external adapter, that doesn't disconnect randomly, can keep up the close to 1GB/s speed.
So far all adapter's reviews contain frighteningly high % of reports of malfunction, random disconnects, sub-par speeds, falling to even under USB 2.0 speeds, etc.
There are 3 main chipsets in the market: JMicron JMS583, Asmedia ASM2362, and Realtek RTL9210 (no product has surfaced with the latter yet, so no REAL reviews, experiences yet UPDATE: it is on the market already).
Also ASUS has a new product, ROG Strix Arion, but there isn't enough feedback about it yet, and I mean real life feedback not just being able to run a few benchmarks, but real stress test to see if the device (adapter) can keep it up, without disconnecting or slowing down hard.
I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have GOOD experiences during stress-tests, like tons of random 4k writes with a stable speed, cloning 100's of GB-s at a stable high speed close to 1GB/s.
I know SSD's very well, so please stick to the point and don't start to educate me on how their speed falls after some writes, etc. I'm aware and this is NOT the point.
You can help if you can point me to a STABLE and RELIABLE NVMe-USB-C adapter that WORKS as expected.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

BrallyO

Feb 22, 2020
Does anyone know how to set the SCSI_ settings for rtl9210 firmwares to null?

Like this:

SCSI_VENDOR = ""
SCSI_PRODUCT = ""

If you set these to nothing/null, the adapter passes through the info from the drive itself, which is very nice. I have one of my adapters already set to null from it's vendor.

However, my new Sabrent adapter already had them set. I've tried many different things to unset them without success. I'm not sure what I need to do to actually wipe those fields in the firmware.

BrallyO

Feb 22, 2020
I managed to figure out how to reset the SCSI_ fields for the rtl9210 firmware update flash tool. it might be possible to do this with the mini flash tool that is distributed by some vendors, but the most recent version hides what is needed.

Under Settings on the application pulldown menu, there are two options, named "Update Serial" and "Update Parallel".

Parallel updating was the default and that's what I had been using. This reads and merges the existing device config to the new/changed config fields, but it won't reset data fields. If there are previous settings, they will not be set to defaults if not declared or set to null.

To set things back to defaults, change this to Update Serial, and it goes across the flash device config block and wipes everything except what was explicitly in the new config file/settings.

Last edited:

BrallyO

Feb 22, 2020
In case anyone is looking for firmware for the rtl9210b, I found and tested a firmware download package from here:

The latest at this time is 1.23.15.

sha256sum UTHSB_MPtool_Lite_v1.11.3.921.zip
50857271ec9788c58caff57f75b490049df88206992232a85a959a6287d35f73 UTHSB_MPtool_Lite_v1.11.3.921.zip

I am leery of downloading packages like this from random websites but it was uploaded by an admin of the site and the known firmware file hashes matched what I was expecting and it looks legit. I went ahead and flashed these on a regular rtl9201 and rtl9210b and it worked out fine, so I vouch for it.

The package above seems to have OEM/vendor tools which have some neat features, but nothing game-changing for us regular users. I wish Realtek would just make these files available for us techie types.

Reactions: kennethrc

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Glad I found this thread. I have to clone my disks from one Win10 PC to another (a "twin" build-in-progress"). I'll simply add a new Win10 license to the twin for activation. But the stumbling block anticipated was the NVME drive, and these devices are more than likely to come in handy for other things. The convenience is well worth the price.

RedpaX

Mar 17, 2021
There is a new firmware for JEYI Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with Intel JHL6340 chip ? I have frequent disconnect drive. :( on the mac OS BigSur, mostly after waking up from sleep mode or random disconnect at any time.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
As I mentioned in my short post last week, I need such a device without intending to use it as a long-running backup disk. I ordered this one:

Ineo M.2 NVME SSD USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C Rugged Militarized (Picatinny Rail)

I could do what I need to do just once with more inconvenience and less in dollar outlay, but if it's a good device, it likely will come in handy later. Take them with a grain of salt, but I always study customer reviews for any product. This one I see has a block sample of 40 users, and was only released into the market around beginning of last year. Some of the other offerings show 1,000 reviews, but 40 would seem to be enough indication.

I hope . . . . !

DeGea7

Jan 18, 2021
I managed to figure out how to reset the SCSI_ fields for the rtl9210 firmware update flash tool. it might be possible to do this with the mini flash tool that is distributed by some vendors, but the most recent version hides what is needed.

Under Settings on the application pulldown menu, there are two options, named "Update Serial" and "Update Parallel".

Parallel updating was the default and that's what I had been using. This reads and merges the existing device config to the new/changed config fields, but it won't reset data fields. If there are previous settings, they will not be set to defaults if not declared or set to null.

To set things back to defaults, change this to Update Serial, and it goes across the flash device config block and wipes everything except what was explicitly in the new config file/settings.

Thanks for the post - which tool did you use to update the firmware and reset the fields? Also, is the NVME manufacturer software able to identify the drive and apply firmware updates?

henshin

Dec 30, 2016
I'm running Windows 10 and I'm looking for a tool-free usb-nvme adapter. I need to change nvme SSD's every now and then. Which controller and / or product would be the best for this scenario? Thanks.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'm running Windows 10 and I'm looking for a tool-free usb-nvme adapter. I need to change nvme SSD's every now and then. Which controller and / or product would be the best for this scenario? Thanks.
maybe someone else has more "veteran" intel for you. I just picked the Ineo product I linked above. There are suddenly dozens of these things available. I wouldn't have given a thought to it when I installed my first NVME drives, but this sort of USB device now seems almost necessary.

henshin

Dec 30, 2016
maybe someone else has more "veteran" intel for you. I just picked the Ineo product I linked above. There are suddenly dozens of these things available. I wouldn't have given a thought to it when I installed my first NVME drives, but this sort of USB device now seems almost necessary.
That one is not availlable at my current location (Netherlands) and it's not tool-free unfortunately. I did look at these:
Plugable USB C to M.2 NVMe Tool-free Enclosure: https://www.amazon.nl/Plugable-behuizing-Thunderbolt-compatibel-snelheden/dp/B07N48N5GR
Sabrent EC-TFNE: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B081FHQ781
Sabrent EC-SNVE: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B08RVC6F9Y

However, I believe all of the above use a JMicron controller and to my understanding that's the one to avoid.

Mr_Resetti80

Dec 22, 2020
That one is not availlable at my current location (Netherlands) and it's not tool-free unfortunately. I did look at these:
Plugable USB C to M.2 NVMe Tool-free Enclosure: https://www.amazon.nl/Plugable-behuizing-Thunderbolt-compatibel-snelheden/dp/B07N48N5GR
Sabrent EC-TFNE: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B081FHQ781
Sabrent EC-SNVE: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B08RVC6F9Y

However, I believe all of the above use a JMicron controller and to my understanding that's the one to avoid.
The last one on your list has a Realtek RTL9210B, if this thread is to be believed, which works with both NVME and SATA drives and would be perfect for your needs.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I managed to figure out how to reset the SCSI_ fields

Thanks, went form 1.23.9 to 1.23.15 and finally got my Orico PFM2-C3 to report the drive name. I just had to comment out two lines as so:

;SCSI_VENDOR = "REALTEK"
;SCSI_PRODUCT = "RTL9210"

then do update.

Nothing interesting (speed, features, heat, etc) to report with firmware 1.23.15 over prior. If not for changing it to report the NVME drive name, then I honestly would not have bothered to update.

HefaistoS

Sep 20, 2020
There is a new firmware for JEYI Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with Intel JHL6340 chip? I have frequent disconnect drive. :( on the mac OS BigSur, mostly after waking up from sleep mode or random disconnect at any time.
Hi, try this. I currently have an RTL9210 v1.20.12.
Here is an old post of mine:
"After my MacBook enters sleep mode the chip (&led) shut down & after it wakes up the chipset force disconnects. In Win10 it works perfectly. So, considering that the idle function doesn't work at all for me, I decided to cancel it permanently. Now when it enters sleep mode, the chip stays permanently on. I hope that apart from draining the battery faster there will be no other extra problems."

UPDATE: IT drains A LOT of battery!!!
I haven't been to the forum in a long time. Did something new has appeared that doesn't consume so much battery? or maybe something that enters the idle state for the macOS?

dream3

Nov 9, 2015
Hey guys, just got a brand new orico nvme enclosure with RTL9210.
How do I know if I need to update firmware or not?
Where can I see the version and where can I find the latest firmware download?

zync1999

Apr 8, 2021
Hello guys, Saturday I'll get the enclosure ASM2-001B from Aisens. Does anyone know what chip it uses? If not, how can i check myself considering that the PCB isn't directly accessible? Thanks

Mr_Resetti80

Dec 22, 2020
Hello guys, Saturday I'll get the enclosure ASM2-001B from Aisens. Does anyone know what chip it uses? If not, how can i check myself considering that the PCB isn't directly accessible? Thanks

I have sent a message directly to Aisens 'cause I couldn't find any reference in the product page nor in the pdf data sheet. Hopefully my spanish is good enough for them to understand.

Mr_Resetti80

Dec 22, 2020

Aaaand i got the reply (wow that was fast):
Hola

El chipset es realtek 9210B

La conexión de sata y nvme b+m key y m key

Esta caja externa vale para M.2 SATA y M.2 NVMe

Un saludo

So it's a pretty common RTL 9210B. Product name was a bit deceving as it pointed more towards an ASMedia chipset (although I'm not even sure ASMEDIA have a double standard, NVME/SATA to USB, chipset).

zync1999

Apr 8, 2021
Aaaand i got the reply (wow that was fast):

So it's a pretty common RTL 9210B. Product name was a bit deceving as it pointed more towards an ASMedia chipset (although I'm not even sure ASMEDIA have a double standard, NVME/SATA to USB, chipset).
So they didn't reply because i wrote in english hahaha. Thanks for the help. So is it good? What's the difference between it and the RTL 9210?

Mr_Resetti80

Dec 22, 2020
So they didn't reply because i wrote in english hahaha. Thanks for the help. So is it good? What's the difference between it and the RTL 9210?

It is pretty good. AFAIK the only difference on the B version is that supports both type of connections, SATA and NVME, whilst the non-B version only supports NVME. I have the latter. Doesn't get hot, the transfer rate is high, it shouldn't (can't be 100% sure here) give you disconnections problems. It can give you more headaches if you are running a MacOS, but on Windows should be fine. Don't know Linux.
I use it on the PS5 and I have some issues there when I resume from rest mode, but I think the problem is the OS Sony uses on the PS5, because on Xbox One there were no problems at all.

Reactions: zync1999

zync1999

Apr 8, 2021
It is pretty good. AFAIK the only difference on the B version is that supports both type of connections, SATA and NVME, whilst the non-B version only supports NVME. I have the latter. Doesn't get hot, the transfer rate is high, it shouldn't (can't be 100% sure here) give you disconnections problems. It can give you more headaches if you are running a MacOS, but on Windows should be fine. Don't know Linux.
I use it on the PS5 and I have some issues there when I resume from rest mode, but I think the problem is the OS Sony uses on the PS5, because on Xbox One there were no problems at all.
Thanks so much for the help. I'm new to this world, what's the best chip out there?

Mr_Resetti80

Dec 22, 2020
Thanks so much for the help. I'm new to this world, what's the best chip out there?
That I cannot say myself for sure. I think it's between ASMedia and Realtek. JMicron is the most compatible, I think, and has high speeds but suffers really bad of high temps, to the point that people are concerned for the lifespan of the SSD themselves. ASMedia comes second for compatibility and third for performances and with lower temps. Realtek has the most issues with compatibility as soon as it leaves Windows platforms (but it varies a lot between manufacturers) but it's almost on par with JMicron for speed and it's the best one for temps (drives and chipsets gets just warm).

Things can change in the next months, because newer and faster chipsets, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20 Gbps), should be coming to market.

If you have patience, you can go through the whole thread and educate yourself on the matter.

Reactions: zync1999

ubercool

Apr 10, 2021
I've been searching for a fast Thunderbolt 3 external SSD enclosure for years now. 🤯

I'm considering the Avolusion SSDTB900-PRO but I can't figure out what chip it uses. Anyone know? It's a USB 4 drive, so it should have a later-generation chip.

Thanks so much! 😊

Mr_Resetti80

Dec 22, 2020
I've been searching for a fast Thunderbolt 3 external SSD enclosure for years now. 🤯

I'm considering the Avolusion SSDTB900-PRO but I can't figure out what chip it uses. Anyone know? It's a USB 4 drive, so it should have a later-generation chip.

Thanks so much! 😊

Uhmm... I'm a bit ignorant on the Thunderbolt scene, so my words have to be taken with a grain of salt: isn't Thunderbolt a proprietary type of connection made only by Intel? And thus the chipset are done only by them?