Question *STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to buy a *RELIABLE* NVME-USB external adapter, that doesn't disconnect randomly, can keep up the close to 1GB/s speed.
So far all adapter's reviews contain frighteningly high % of reports of malfunction, random disconnects, sub-par speeds, falling to even under USB 2.0 speeds, etc.
There are 3 main chipsets in the market: JMicron JMS583, Asmedia ASM2362, and Realtek RTL9210 (no product has surfaced with the latter yet, so no REAL reviews, experiences yet UPDATE: it is on the market already).
Also ASUS has a new product, ROG Strix Arion, but there isn't enough feedback about it yet, and I mean real life feedback not just being able to run a few benchmarks, but real stress test to see if the device (adapter) can keep it up, without disconnecting or slowing down hard.
I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have GOOD experiences during stress-tests, like tons of random 4k writes with a stable speed, cloning 100's of GB-s at a stable high speed close to 1GB/s.
I know SSD's very well, so please stick to the point and don't start to educate me on how their speed falls after some writes, etc. I'm aware and this is NOT the point.
You can help if you can point me to a STABLE and RELIABLE NVMe-USB-C adapter that WORKS as expected.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
I guess the firmware for jms580 I posted in an older thread was 1.0.5. corrected thread above. Fw was posted in thread 414. Tested after saving fw 1.0.5 bricking with fw 2.0.9 and then using hard reset to recover with saved stock firmware. Fw from jms583 is not compatible.

Last edited:

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
I guess the firmware for jms580 I posted in an older thread was 1.0.5. corrected thread above. Fw was posted in thread 414. Tested after saving fw 1.0.5 bricking with fw 2.0.9 and then using hard reset to recover with saved stock firmware. Fw from jms583 is not compatible.

I assumed it was not compatible either... so it is really perplexing how a 00.02.00.05 firmware was on mine. A few thoughts: maybe a custom firmware on mine? Maybe the firmware version was mis-labeled? This is way beyond my skills to figure out haha.
This is a link to the backup.bin file https://gofile.io/d/FBADfQ I'm not even sure if I backed it up correctly, but if someone is curious and wants to look at it, there you go :)

Reactions: apoelistasaudi
Jun 10, 2020
I assumed it was not compatible either... so it is really perplexing how a 00.02.00.05 firmware was on mine. A few thoughts: maybe a custom firmware on mine? Maybe the firmware version was mis-labeled? This is way beyond my skills to figure out haha.
This is a link to the backup.bin file https://gofile.io/d/FBADfQ I'm not even sure if I backed it up correctly, but if someone is curious and wants to look at it, there you go :)
Which back up utility did you use?? The one I did or a different one??

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Which version??

I don't know if you mean which version of my firmware I backed up or which version of the tool that I used. I used the JMicron 152D 580 1.05 from the link in your 414 post. I backed up my (shown as in the update tool) 00.02.00.05 firmware which was originally on my JMS580 enclosure. It came out of the box with a 00.02.00.05 firmware (and it was actually working). I then applied the Orico 152D JMS580 M.2 SSD FW with NVRAM firmware from your post, and my enclosure updated to show 00.01.00.05 in the firmware update tool. But I still don't know if 00.01.00.05 was an upgrade or downgrade from the 00.02.00.05 firmware that was originally on my device... at first I thought maybe i had been given one with JMS583, but under a magnifying glass I saw the numbers 580 number on the chip.

Jun 10, 2020
Ok thanks for your reply. I thought there is a different firmware backup/update utility that I have not tested.

I have seen manufacturers change.the original chip firmware by modifying.the first group number. I believe both Should be the same. Thanks for making your firmware available. More choices I guess is a good think.

I think jms580 is the top for low heat dissipation.

Mr_Resetti80

Dec 22, 2020

As seen in this picture, I believe the problem is on the motherboard side. The USB NMVE enclosure is correctly seen as a USB 3.0 but the port itself of the USB 3.0 Root hub is degraded to 2.0.

You can try, just to see if there is any change in the port behaviour, to go inside the BIOS and change how said USB hub (ASMedia, as I can see from the picture) operates (or every USB in the system, if a single hub cannot be selected), changing from a more accomodating legacy mode, which can accept any USB device, to a more strict USB 3.0 only. BIOSes have very different ways to do so, I cannot be more specific without other infos, but I think you get the point.

Once done that, return into Windows and see if there are any changes. It can also happen that the device won't be recognized, but if it is, it must be at 3.0 (or 3.1) standard. EDIT: It won't be a perfect solution, as any old 2.0/1.1 USB device connected to those ports won't be recognized.

If the device is not recognized, you can try to see if there are any BIOS updates on the motherboard maker website or if they have some specific update for the ASMedia controller, either a firmware or a driver. Don't look on the web trying to find a generic ASMedia driver to solve the issue, as it can cause more trouble than the one you are trying to solve.

If even these attempts bring no solutions, then:

- If you are on a desktop, you can always try to get a pci-e expansion card that has newer USB connections.
- If you are on a laptop and has an express card slot, you can fetch a 3.0 usb card. I don't think USB 3.1 or newer exist, probably the bus inside these cards is not fast enough, but it will always be better than 2.0.

Last edited:

pwaters

Feb 28, 2021
Thanks Mr_Resetti80

I updated to latest bios for my motherboard, albeit a couple of years old. Still trying to determine if there is an update to the ASMedia driver.

Just to give a nod to apoelistasaudi - My MB is suppose to have 2x 3.1. (10gps) ports. As far as specs show.

My motherboard is an ATX so doesn't have additional slots to use which is a shame.

Sticking the device into an external usb 3 hub forces it to revert to usb 2.0.

As pointed out I believe it's the MB and incompatibility of drivers. I'll spend some time to see if I can adjust the bios or update the drivers. Turning legacy mode off didn't seem to do anything. But I think there are a couple of other settings.

You win some you lose some. I would have been happy with a min of 200 MB/s. Wasn't looking for blistering speed just a bit of flexibility instead of a SATA drive. At least until a pc refresh some time down the road and after these crazy time we find ourselves in.

Moonland

Mar 2, 2021
Hi,
I bough this Orico USB M.2 NVME -adapter a few weeks ago. Used it with an Samsung 970 1TB EVO PLUS.
EDIT: According to the packaging, it is the M2PV-C3 model
I only used it for maybe 10 file transfers between a few PCs, until it the SSD or the adapter suddenly stopped working.

Now it is shows up like this in my "Devices and drives" when connected.
The drive gets warm when connected, so I assume it is not completely dead.
I don't have anywhere else to plug the M.2 drive in so I cannot use it without the adapter.

Capture.PNG

Has anyone had the same problem? Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

EDIT:
For others searching for a solution to the same issue:
The error message: "*:\ Is not accessible. Incorrect function."
The solution: Plug the SSD straight onto a compatible motherboard, and the drive can be used as normal.

Last edited:

Mr_Resetti80

Dec 22, 2020
Hi,
I bough this Orico USB M.2 NVME -adapter a few weeks ago. Used it with an Samsung 970 1TB EVO PLUS.
I only used it for maybe 10 file transfers between a few PCs, until it the SSD or the adapter suddenly stopped working.

I don't have anywhere else to plug the M.2 drive in so I cannot use it without the adapter.

View attachment 40428

Hi, I have the same enclosure coupled with a sabrent rocket-q drive. Unfortunately it is solely used on my gaming console, as it has its proprietary file format. I did not have any issue with it, as the problems I have comes from the console OS.

My advice is to open both the Disk Management page and Device Manager in Windows and see what is shown there, as these gives you low level, more "down to metal", infos about what happens to your PC components.

Devices and Drives only gives you access (or not, in this case) to the drives and files on your PC but is not exhaustive when it comes to malfunctions of any sort.

Karlow

Mar 3, 2021
Hi,

View attachment 40428

Hi I have the same problem with two different adapters.
In my case it only occurs when the ssd is filled with more then ~15GB of data.
So when I copy only small files onto it, it works without any problem but once I go over this threshold and unplug it, the next time I plug it in I get the same error message.
First I thought the device broke but when I delete all files by accessing the ssd directly it will also be detected correctly when reinserted into the USB adapter.
Maybe the samsung ssd-controller and the USB adapter controller are somehow not very compatible?

Moonland

Mar 2, 2021
Hi I have the same problem with two different adapters.
In my case it only occurs when the ssd is filled with more then ~15GB of data.
So when I copy only small files onto it, it works without any problem but once I go over this threshold and unplug it, the next time I plug it in I get the same error message.
First I thought the device broke but when I delete all files by accessing the ssd directly it will also be detected correctly when reinserted into the USB adapter.
Maybe the samsung ssd-controller and the USB adapter controller are somehow not very compatible?

Hmm interesting, I'm glad to hear that it might be still accessible!

Edit:
Plugged the problematic SSD straight to my motherboard, and I could access it with no problems now!

Capture (2).PNG

Last edited:

leroy1980

Mar 9, 2021
Hi everyone, google led me here while I was searching for a way to make my PCI-e to usb case to work.
I have an iMac 5K 2017 and I want to replace the blade ssd (32GB) with 970 evo plus PCI-e 1TB.
In order to achieve that, I have to prepare the Evo plus before insert it inside. The problem is that the case is not recognized in Windows ( Please check the attached files) and it is a really pain in the a$$ to disassemble iMac and realize that the new disk is not working and having to take it away.
As I can see, the chipset is JMS576, I read all the section but I could not make it flash the rom. I get the error "FIRMWARE FILE NOT SUPPORT ALL CHIPS". I tried to edit the INI file and replaced 0583 to 0576 in 2 lines but could not make it work.
I would really appreciate if someone could help me find out how to update the dongle.
The dongle is this one.

Thank you in advance
Firmware Utility.png

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
As I can see, the chipset is JMS576, I read all the section but I could not make it flash the rom...

You answered your own question. The firmware file is for 583 not 576. Forcing it will be a disaster. I recommend returning that 576 based enclosure and moving on to 2nd gen USB-NVME chipsets. The ones I've found so far will tout support for 20Gbps.

Reactions: Charlie22911

leroy1980

Mar 9, 2021
You answered your own question. The firmware file is for 583 not 576. Forcing it will be a disaster. I recommend returning that 576 based enclosure and moving on to 2nd gen USB-NVME chipsets. The ones I've found so far will tout support for 20Gbps.

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately in case of returning, the shipping cost would be similar to buying price, so I was just looking for a way to make it work. Maybe a modified or official firmware in order to test it. I don't really care if it will not work after testing as it is not working anyway.
In case there is a way to find a firmware to test, I would really appreciate if someone could send it here. Thanks again

Jun 10, 2020
Happy with the 10 USD jms580.
If I remember well
Usb 3.1 Gen 2 560mb/s
Usb 3.1 Gen 1 460mb/s or was it 480mb/s

If you flash with any firmware remember to save current firmware first.

You can always hard reset if it does not work or bricked. There is a thread in this topic.

My understanding is that same as for jms580 latest firmware is 1.0.5 same as yours. Don't believe they produced a newer one. I failed to update to jms583 latest 2.0.9 firmware and I had to hard reset and reinstall my backup firmware, for the hard reset procedure you need tweezers.

Last edited:

leroy1980

Mar 9, 2021
Happy with the 10 USD jms580.
If I remember well
Usb 3.1 Gen 2 560mb/s
Usb 3.1 Gen 1 460mb/s or was it 480mb/s

If you flash with any firmware remember to save current firmware first.

You can always hard reset if it does not work or bricked. There is a thread in this topic.

My understanding is that same as for jms580 latest firmware is 1.0.5 same as yours. Don't believe they produced a newer one. I failed to update to jms583 latest 2.0.9 firmware and I had to hard reset and reinstall my backup firmware, for the hard reset procedure you need tweezers.

I don't know how to send you pm. While I searched your messages in order to find the post with the hard reset instructions, I realized that we are both Greeks. Is it possible to send me a link for the hard reset and backup procedure?
Thanks again

Reactions: apoelistasaudi

BrallyO

Feb 22, 2020
The firmware tool showed "Failed" and the adapter is no longer detected.

I just had one of my rtl9210 drives fail a firmware update. It was going from FW Ver : 1.20.12 to FW Ver : 1.23.15.

The progress bar got to 14% and then stopped. After a minute it showed a fail message.

To fix I simply unplugged the device, plugged it back in, and pressed the update button again. The second time around it updated okay.

Reactions: mountainmanjoe

BrallyO

Feb 22, 2020
Hey everyone. I've previously written about my experiences with the rtl9210 adapters. Now I have a Sabrent EC-SNVE, which has an rtl9210b chip in it.

What's neat about this particular adapter is that it has an easy open button and clamshell type design. If you need to swap your drive in and out often (IT folks), this might be a good adapter for you.

Unfortunately I already ran into an issue with it and was hoping to update the firmware to see if that might fix it. According to the dump tool, it's currently on FW Ver : 1.23.5.

Reactions: dryo