Question *STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to buy a *RELIABLE* NVME-USB external adapter, that doesn't disconnect randomly, can keep up the close to 1GB/s speed.
So far all adapter's reviews contain frighteningly high % of reports of malfunction, random disconnects, sub-par speeds, falling to even under USB 2.0 speeds, etc.
There are 3 main chipsets in the market: JMicron JMS583, Asmedia ASM2362, and Realtek RTL9210 (no product has surfaced with the latter yet, so no REAL reviews, experiences yet UPDATE: it is on the market already).
Also ASUS has a new product, ROG Strix Arion, but there isn't enough feedback about it yet, and I mean real life feedback not just being able to run a few benchmarks, but real stress test to see if the device (adapter) can keep it up, without disconnecting or slowing down hard.
I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have GOOD experiences during stress-tests, like tons of random 4k writes with a stable speed, cloning 100's of GB-s at a stable high speed close to 1GB/s.
I know SSD's very well, so please stick to the point and don't start to educate me on how their speed falls after some writes, etc. I'm aware and this is NOT the point.
You can help if you can point me to a STABLE and RELIABLE NVMe-USB-C adapter that WORKS as expected.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Eu Gene Goh

Nov 28, 2020
I've been using a JMS583 enclosure (TDBT one) with a WD SN550 1TB with a PS5 for installing PS4 games and it's been very unstable. It works with smaller games but with larger installs like GOW, typically a reboot and repair is required before the game will load properly.

Anyone has experience with this or other NVME enclosures with a PS5? On this forum:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/best-external-storage-for-ps4-games-on-ps5.320953/

People seem have had better luck with ASM2362 controller with PS5s, eg. Samsung T7 and WD My Passport 1TB

wondering what folk here experiences have been with NVME enclosures and PS5

Jun 10, 2020
@Josh68 we have commented before that not setting jms583 to standby timer of 1 min is not recommended as high heat will,in time, disintegrate either nvme or jms583 PCB .

JMS583 works well with firmware 2.0.9 only but again if you will use it as an external boot device or for playing games (ready boost) then better get something cooler (rtl9210 10gb/s). For usb 3.0 5gb/s I recommend jms580 which is cooler than rtl9210.

Cooler = less amps = less power

Still with rtl9210 latest fw there is one glitch that remains i.e.. disconnecting rtl9210 still gives power to usb enclosure (see status light). You will have to wait for standby to kick in before removing (set standby timer to 1 minute)

Last edited:

Mr_Resetti80

Dec 22, 2020
I've been using a JMS583 enclosure (TDBT one) with a WD SN550 1TB with a PS5 for installing PS4 games and it's been very unstable. It works with smaller games but with larger installs like GOW, typically a reboot and repair is required before the game will load properly.

Anyone has experience with this or other NVME enclosures with a PS5? On this forum:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/best-external-storage-for-ps4-games-on-ps5.320953/

People seem have had better luck with ASM2362 controller with PS5s, eg. Samsung T7 and WD My Passport 1TB

wondering what folk here experiences have been with NVME enclosures and PS5

Hi,

I speak from Italy, so many products here may not correspond to something in the US.

I bought separately a Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB nvme SSD (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07ZZYWTBP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the Orico 10 Gbit ORI-M2PV-C3 enclosure (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B08HSSBXJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that has an rtl9210.

Since the beginning I had this problem: Once the PS5 goes into standby, once you resume the console, the drives is reported as uncorrectly disconnected and repair has to be done. But not always. Going through the posts here in this thread I've found that the firmware cuts power, not at all but onto a low-power profile, after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity and there is little that can be done.

Someone flashed a firmware that had a config file changed so the drive never goes to sleep, but even that, albeit after some long time, the drive still goes off.

So, let's say I've turned the console in standby. If I turn it back on in five minutes or less, I encounter no problem at all.
If it's downloading while in standby there is no problem, but since it is impossibile to know exactly when the download has finished, when turned back on, the message of incorrect disconnection appears, which leads to a repair.
I had once a failed patch download, but I have no solid proof that the external drive was the culprit. It could have been a wrong setting on the power management of the console itself (ie not set the usb to be always on).

Normal (ie SATA) SSD do not have this kind of problem. I tested an old 256GB SATA Sandisk SSD and it didn't show any misbeheaviour.

Anyway, when turning off completly the console and back on, even after days, I don't have any problem with the USB drive.

You report that in your case you have instability with larger games. I didn't find any difference and never had any disconnection problem or software locking up while using the console itself.

I've read that an enclosure (jeyi - I believe - I don't remember which model exactly) for Macintosh works differently and keeps the drive always on, it makes sense, since the Playstation has an OS that is more like UNIX based like MAC, but the problem there is that it sports your same controller, which gets very hot, I read, and in the long run might damage itself or even the SSD.

Oh, and BTW, the same drive with the same enclosure on Xbox Series X (Windows) doesn't have any problem.

All in all, for how I use my console and this drive, I doesn't bother me much, since it's all fast loading and snappy, but it might be a lot better.

kura2lincah

Dec 31, 2020
Hi All,

Done to read almost whole 22 pages, thanks a lot for you all for this great information!

I plan to buy Crucial P2 NVMe M.2 2TB with Orico enclosure M2PV-C3 (RTL9210) updated to 1.23.9 firmware. Is this stable combination, in term of low heat, less bug and stable write/read? Or which one you prefer:
- Crucial P2 NVMe M.2 2TB + Orico M2PV-C3 (RTL9210), or
- Adata XPG SX8200 NVMe M.2 2TB + Orico M2PV-C3 (RTL9210)

I will using it for archive storage only (to save client's photos)
Thank you for your advice

Last edited:

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
I just got an nvme enclosure that disconnects randomly and this thread has been very helpful in upgrading the firmware and took care of the issue. Thanks all!

I presented a logical argument but you have nothing to support your speculations.

Yes, get a USB meter, one with data pass-through so the device can work while being measured and compare current consumption in idle state under different ASPMDIS settings. My results:

ASPMDIS : 0x01
110mA to 130mA

ASPMDIS : 0x00
10mA

ASPMDIS : 0x00 saves power, the current consumption is 10x lower, then it is active and enabled yet you insist that

No, the other way around, 0x00 is ACTIVE, 0x01 is DISABLED.

Case closed. Sure, verify my USB measurements, it takes only a few minutes.
I can confirm that this is correct. Setting ASPMDIS to 0x01 will cause the nvme to stay on. When I was using firmware 1.20, and the power is cut off by ASPM, the drive will disconnect and explorer would freeze trying to access the drive. After setting ASPMDIS to 0x01, the drive no longer freezes and stays warm. However, after updating to FW 1.23, the power saving feature seems to work -- the drive shuts down and turns on when being accessed, so it seems to be more efficient to run with ASPMDIS to 0x00 unless there are issues.

Mekks

Dec 21, 2020
I just got an nvme enclosure that disconnects randomly and this thread has been very helpful in upgrading the firmware and took care of the issue. Thanks all!

I can confirm that this is correct. Setting ASPMDIS to 0x01 will cause the nvme to stay on. When I was using firmware 1.20, and the power is cut off by ASPM, the drive will disconnect and explorer would freeze trying to access the drive. After setting ASPMDIS to 0x01, the drive no longer freezes and stays warm. However, after updating to FW 1.23, the power saving feature seems to work -- the drive shuts down and turns on when being accessed, so it seems to be more efficient to run with ASPMDIS to 0x00 unless there are issues.

Was having same issues, newest firmware the drive seems to sleep/wake correctly. Only been a few days but so far so good.

Jun 10, 2020
New rtl9210 firmware 1.23.15
1. Does not fix disconnect problem as observed on previous firmwares.
2. Does not work with renesas nec 720202 usb 3.0 mini pcie controller. (or it could be a renesas bios incompatibility/Disconnections since they are is no bios update since 2013/ latest 2.0.2.6)

Also interested of the differences with previous version. I will add my hesitation as an if statement, if any real difference exists

Last edited:

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
A new setting for me:
DISK_IPS_THRES = 0

This keeps the drive from going to sleep. Even though when it was set to 1 minute, the drive works fine on file copies and such, it freezes on operations like creating a boot disk. The drive stays active, but the boot disk creation process fails with drive disconnecting. Changing it to 0 fixes the freeze/disconnect for me.

Reactions: tadar60678
Jun 10, 2020
Someone maybe could ask orico or fideco to provide firmware v1.24.2??? I dont think there is any other way. So far I dont have high hopes for orico support. Their support is non existent so far.

javilova

Jan 20, 2021
To those Crucial X8 users, here's how I resolved the issue with Rest Mode of PS5:

1. Since Crucial X8 is using ASM2362 chipset, I have updated it's firmware to the latest version available. I have modified the config file so it will still show as Crucial X8 SSD. You can download from the link below:

2. Extract asmedia_asm2362_fw.zip to C:/Temp/asmedia_asm2362_fw.

3. Run as Administrator the MPTool.exe. You can unlock the tool, if you want to modify some config by using password: asmedia

4. Plug the Crucial X8 SSD to the machine. The tool should detect and list of supported devices to update.

5. Press the Start button and wait until it finishes flashing the firmware. You will see if result is Pass or Fail.

NOTE: I have also replaced the included USB 3.2 Gen 2 cable as it is not working if inserted to the back USB type A port of PS5.

DeGea7

Jan 18, 2021
To those Crucial X8 users, here's how I resolved the issue with Rest Mode of PS5:

1. Since Crucial X8 is using ASM2362 chipset, I have updated it's firmware to the latest version available. I have modified the config file so it will still show as Crucial X8 SSD. You can download from the link below:

2. Extract asmedia_asm2362_fw.zip to C:/Temp/asmedia_asm2362_fw.

3. Run as Administrator the MPTool.exe. You can unlock the tool, if you want to modify some config by using password: asmedia

4. Plug the Crucial X8 SSD to the machine. The tool should detect and list of supported devices to update.

5. Press the Start button and wait until it finishes flashing the firmware. You will see if result is Pass or Fail.

NOTE: I have also replaced the included USB 3.2 Gen 2 cable as it is not working if inserted to the back USB type A port of PS5.

Hi. What is the "Rest Mode" issue? I have just purchased an Orico with ASM2364 (so an updated chipset - dont think any updated firmwares are available yet), and will be using it on my PS5 so want to know what to look out for. Thanks

javilova

Jan 20, 2021
Hi. What is the "Rest Mode" issue? I have just purchased an Orico with ASM2364 (so an updated chipset - dont think any updated firmwares are available yet), and will be using it on my PS5 so want to know what to look out for. Thanks
If an incompatible NVME SSD enclosure chipset is used as extended storage for PS5 or PS4 Pro and you put it on Rest Mode/Hibernate Mode, drive will crash, will close the game running and ask for repairs on next boot.

You can check the list of drives/enclosures tested here:

DeGea7

Jan 18, 2021
If an incompatible NVME SSD enclosure chipset is used as extended storage for PS5 or PS4 Pro and you put it on Rest Mode/Hibernate Mode, drive will crash, will close the game running and ask for repairs on next boot.

You can check the list of drives/enclosures tested here:

Thanks! It looks like people have had more success with the ASM2362 enclosures, so hopefully that's the case with the ASM2364 too

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
I know this topic is about NVMe, but does anyone know of a usb enclosure using RTL9210 that is compatible with SATA M.2 (with B & M key)? I've been trying to find one on my own, but so far the vast majority seem to have the JMicron chip. So far I have found one: ORICO M2PJM-C3 which claims to be "dual protocol" for both SSD and NVMe but when I go to the product page it shows two variants with two different chips (RTL9210b or JMS583) so I am not sure how to make sure I get the right variant with the RTL chip. Does anyone know of any other usb enclosures with the RTL9210 chip and supports SATA M.2 ?

edit: I found another "dual protocol" orico (model ODM M2PM-C3), but I didn't see it listed on their website. It seems to be made of plastic but uses the RTL9210b chip. Theres also apparently a lot more options for usb adapters (which doesn't help me much but including it if anyone else is looking)

Last edited:

toy023

Jan 21, 2021
I know this topic is about NVMe, but does anyone know of a usb enclosure using RTL9210 that is compatible with SATA M.2 (with B & M key)? I've been trying to find one on my own, but so far the vast majority seem to have the JMicron chip. So far I have found one: ORICO M2PJM-C3 which claims to be "dual protocol" for both SSD and NVMe but when I go to the product page it shows two variants with two different chips (RTL9210b or JMS583) so I am not sure how to make sure I get the right variant with the RTL chip. Does anyone know of any other usb enclosures with the RTL9210 chip and supports SATA M.2 ?

I recently ordered this enclosure and I think it fits what you need.

andyhi

Nov 23, 2020

edit: I found another "dual protocol" orico (model ODM M2PM-C3), but I didn't see it listed on their website. It seems to be made of plastic but uses the RTL9210b chip. Theres also apparently a lot more options for usb adapters (which doesn't help me much but including it if anyone else is looking)

I purchased the ORICO M2PJM-C3 from Newegg in December. I wanted a single external enclosure with both NVMe and SATA support for occasional data copy/recovery for drives pulled from other computers.

Metal enclosure, comes with thermal pad, RTL9210b chip which supports NVMe and SATA. Can confirm NVMe works with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

Device came with firmware v1.21.10. Ran into the issue where drive would be unresponsive sometimes after PC resumed from sleep. Upgraded to v1.23.15 per this thread which resolved the resume issue. Experienced no problems with this firmware so far other than led stays lit after usb eject, which appears to be cosmetic only. No heat issues what so ever... I don't recall the metal heat sinks ever feel anything other than room temperature with either firmware revision.

Updates -

Verified M.2 SATA B+M key drive also works as advertised.

When swapping drives, I noticed the PCB with mounted m.2 drive can fit in the enclosure with either the drive facing the fins of the enclosure or toward the bottom metal plate. From a heat dissipation point of view, it would be better for the drive to face the mass of the heat sink w/ fins. However the design of the PCB and fit in the enclosure appear to call for the drive to face the thin metal plate on the bottom of the enclosure. While this hasn't been a problem for my drives, anyone with drives running into serious thermal throttling / heat issues would want the drive to face the opposite direction. But keep in mind that you should only buy this model for the convenience of dual NVMe + SATA support, not for the ultimate in drive performance under very heavy sustained load where thermal throttling would be an issue.

I did some short adhoc speed tests with the device out of the enclosure with a finger on both the RTL controller and the 970 Evo Plus's NVMe controller - Barely warm when reading / writing ~25GB large ISOs at ~650 - 850 MB/sec. See Newegg reviews for performance numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: IlllI
Jun 10, 2020
Not cosmetic. Power remains on usb after eject (light on). Better wait until it sleeps (light off) before removal.
In terms of heat it is not as cold as jms580 which consumes less power but only takes m.2 SATA SSD (not m.2 nvme pcie).

If you will use m.2 SATA SSD I recommend jms580 enclosure from orico. My favourite so far. :) I have another m.2 sata enclosure with different chip that is not as good. For usb 3.0 speed controllers. Supports also 3.1 gen 2 for max speed (550 mb/s).

Enclosure Cost is about 11 USD from ebay (I have 2 of those and pretty amazing for lower usb spec PCs and cooler low power consumption).

I dont think that getting a hybrid usb enclosure makes any sense or is useful by any means (for an m.2 sata ssd) especially if you will compare the jms580 with they hybrid enclosure.

Last edited: