Question *STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to buy a *RELIABLE* NVME-USB external adapter, that doesn't disconnect randomly, can keep up the close to 1GB/s speed.
So far all adapter's reviews contain frighteningly high % of reports of malfunction, random disconnects, sub-par speeds, falling to even under USB 2.0 speeds, etc.
There are 3 main chipsets in the market: JMicron JMS583, Asmedia ASM2362, and Realtek RTL9210 (no product has surfaced with the latter yet, so no REAL reviews, experiences yet UPDATE: it is on the market already).
Also ASUS has a new product, ROG Strix Arion, but there isn't enough feedback about it yet, and I mean real life feedback not just being able to run a few benchmarks, but real stress test to see if the device (adapter) can keep it up, without disconnecting or slowing down hard.
I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have GOOD experiences during stress-tests, like tons of random 4k writes with a stable speed, cloning 100's of GB-s at a stable high speed close to 1GB/s.
I know SSD's very well, so please stick to the point and don't start to educate me on how their speed falls after some writes, etc. I'm aware and this is NOT the point.
You can help if you can point me to a STABLE and RELIABLE NVMe-USB-C adapter that WORKS as expected.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Van Flusen

Aug 12, 2020
Hi guys, I'm new here.
I'm considering nvme enclosure and it seems like JMS583 latest firmware 2.0.9 has no issue.
I would like to buy Sabrent tool-free one but they have their own firmware update tool on the website.
Can I use JMicron M.P Tool as others tried? Curious!
Thx in advance.

Yes, but Sabrent does not say whether the products have been converted to JMS 583 A2. I don't know if A2 is compatible with firmware 2.09 or if it is needed.

Jun 10, 2020
In both cases your firmware is very old. Try for both later firmware2.0.9 and dont get stressed about it. Then post photo. It was similar with orico firmware. It is risky but do you have a choice??

regarding 580 vs 583 see below lower speed support.
JMS580
  • USB 3.1 Gen2 to SATA 6Gbps

Van Flusen

Aug 12, 2020
In both cases your firmware is very old. Try for both later firmware2.0.9 and dont get stressed about it. Then post photo. It was similar with orico firmware. It is risky but do you have a choice??

regarding 580 vs 583 see below lower speed support.
JMS580
  • USB 3.1 Gen2 to SATA 6Gbps

Yes, I have flashed the Sabrent case to 2.0.9

Do you think the firmware of the ICY BOX cases are old too?
(133.01.00.03), how do we know which FW version is hidden under the manufacturer's internal designation? Although the cases work well. Should I change the PID from 0580 to 0583?
In an earlier update tool from ICY BOX (JMS583_FW_Update_Utility) there was a backup function, which was very practical.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

Attachments

• USB Gen1.png
    USB Gen1.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 57
  • USB Gen2.png
    USB Gen2.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Reactions: apoelistasaudi

Van Flusen

Aug 12, 2020
i usually take the risk. It is upto you. You have probably firmware 2.0.3.

Today I talked to the Raidsonic Support about the FW 133.01.00.03. Raidsonic says that the firmware with the controller A2 from JMicron will be delivered to the manufacturer. The original name of the firmware was not given to me. Since these cases have a write protection switch, Raidsonic has implemented the function in the firmware. In addition, the firmware has been modified to detect Samsung NVME SSD´s so that the Samsung Data Migration software can detect the SSD. The firmware designation is an internal designation. The 03 at the end stands for the 3rd FW update from Raidsonic for these models.
My question with PID 580 and 583 for the same controller could not be answered but I will get an answer next week.

Reactions: fsdd87
Jun 10, 2020
Today I talked to the Raidsonic Support about the FW 133.01.00.03. Raidsonic says that the firmware with the controller A2 from JMicron will be delivered to the manufacturer. The original name of the firmware was not given to me. Since these cases have a write protection switch, Raidsonic has implemented the function in the firmware. In addition, the firmware has been modified to detect Samsung NVME SSD´s so that the Samsung Data Migration software can detect the SSD. The firmware designation is an internal designation. The 03 at the end stands for the 3rd FW update from Raidsonic for these models.
My question with PID 580 and 583 for the same controller could not be answered but I will get an answer next week.
Seriously Orico original firmware had similar designation as yours ending with 4 (revision).

Now it shows 2.0.9 (revision 9) and works great.

Good luck following the customer service support representative. Maybe he learns a few things from this thread.

loscamos

Aug 14, 2020
Hello everyone, I was buying an external nvme enclosure before reading all this pages and realized that there are no perfect enclosure even though the RTL9210 seems a good way to go. I was wondering if the other external ssd like the Sandisk Extreme have the same problems that the enclosure have or if they are more stable.

I would also like to know how to spot if the enclosure that I am going to buy has a RTL controller. I live in Italy and Amazon offers ugreen, sabrent, plugable and many more.

Last edited:

Shonky

Aug 14, 2020
Why are you all messing with the nvram you dont know the exact variables used at the factory and all 99% of people need to do is update the base firmware

In my case i took a backup of the complete firmware with the factory nvram before i started messing around

I have an AXE 512GB SSD (480 GB TLC Dramless) its a turnkey sollution built by Phison and id's as Phison PU31
Its a Phison PS5013-E13 PCIe 4x Nvme Drive with a JMS583

Mine came with JMS583 Firmware 195.02.00.04

I presume the important part is 02.00.04 and the 195 is just some custom revision for phison e.g. a custom 00.02.00.04
I updated it to 00.02.00.09

There are two ways to do it without Changing the nvram

1) Use the JM2033X FW Update Utility ticking RD Version and unitcking Include NVRAM (you can also use this to backup your complete JMS583 firmware with nvram vars)
or
2) Use JMMassProd_v1_16_15_12 and setting EnEEPROMUpdate=0 in the ini this way it only updates the firmware and nothing else

There are so many downsides to changing the nvram var's that its just not worth it

NVME Passthrough doesnt work so you cant access the smart data or the NVME drive firmware etc for flashing/dumping nand info
you have to go chasing down everything for the JMMassProd.ini
VenderID=13FE
ProductID=2570
StringA=Phison PU31
StringB=PU31
StringC=Phison
String3=MYSERIAL

Now im sure i could get NVME Passthrough working with a setting in the ini
but im not going to get every var 100% the same

I really advise anyone doing this to take a complete backup of the firmware with the nvram
and only flash the firmware without messing with your nvram

Internals 1.jpgInternals 2.jpgInternals 3.jpgInternals 4.jpgInternals 5.jpg

Reactions: 7alken
Jun 10, 2020
80% of enclosures or more sold are generic meaning sold without nvme memory.

When we flash the jms583 we remove the nvme memory to avoid corruption.

To flash nvme memory we install the nvme memory on a m.2 pcie nvme compatle slot e.g. desktop pc. This way manufacturers flash utility can recognise the Nvme memory.

If there is a way to pass through nvme memory to uasp controller so that the firmware utilities (made by different nvme manufacturers HP kioxia/Toshiba Samsung etc) can recognise the nvme memory directly through usb 3.0/3.1 then please write a step by step guide. At the moment I don't believe it is possible to customize nvme memory to uasp controller, unless you know the way. All manufacturer firmware apps need pcie m.2 nvme slot to wotk

Last edited:

ccsprague

Aug 18, 2020
Anyone know why my Sabrent EC-Nvme is only showing USB 2.0? I have it plugged into a USB C 3.1 port.

1597789834843.png

and the write speeds on diskmark are awful. Like 43MB/s

Van Flusen

Aug 12, 2020
Anyone know why my Sabrent EC-Nvme is only showing USB 2.0? I have it plugged into a USB C 3.1 port.

View attachment 28227

and the write speeds on diskmark are awful. Like 43MB/s

You use the Sabrent USB cable with the USB-C adapter ? The cable is corrupt. Use another cable, preferably USB-IF certified.
I use these cables and it has worked very well for a long time.

Van Flusen

Aug 12, 2020
Im actually using a USB-C to USB-C cable from my MacBook Pro. It does it on the MacBook and my desktop.

I have a whole box of USB cables, mostly accessories from external devices, also Sabrent or Raidsonic or Zalman, all these cables are corrupt . I just used the cable from Sabrent and it also shows USB 2.0. I assume that it works with another cable.

ccsprague

Aug 18, 2020
I have a whole box of USB cables, mostly accessories from external devices, also Sabrent or Raidsonic or Zalman, all these cables are corrupt . I just used the cable from Sabrent and it also shows USB 2.0. I assume that it works with another cable.
But I tried both the USB-C from my MacBook Pro and my iPad Pro. I also tried using a USB-C to A. All showed USB 2.0. Perhaps my Sabrent is defective.

Van Flusen

Aug 12, 2020
But I tried both the USB-C from my MacBook Pro and my iPad Pro. I also tried using a USB-C to A. All showed USB 2.0. Perhaps my Sabrent is defective.

You should remove the SSD for flashing.
USB-C is twist-proof, but I already had other results when I plugged in the USB-C 180 degrees twisted.
There are also USB-C 2.0 cables available. I would not use a special MacBook or iPad cable, because it has a special charging function.
I can't give you any more tips, but USB cable is not the same as USB cable, I had a lot of problems with it.

pluton

Aug 19, 2020
Hello everyone,
After reading the whole thread, I have decided to buy a JEYI i9 GTR box in aliexpress using the link that a forero indicated, with the IC - RTL9210, I have connected a Samsung PM981, in my xiaomi notebook pro 2020, this laptop has usb 3.1.
The case, that I cannot exceed 500MB, in the tests, from what I understand that it uses usb 3.0, I am thinking if I should update the firmware, this is where I ask you for advice, no matter how hard I look, I do not see a list where I can know If I have the latest version and if there is a higher one, where can I download it, everything is very scattered on the official website and I even see that you have to be a VIP.
I have taken a dump to have more information.
I attach photos of everything discussed.
Regards

Attachments

• Foto1.png
    Foto1.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Foto2.png
    Foto2.png
    92 KB · Views: 41
  • Foto3.png
    Foto3.png
    5 KB · Views: 37
  • Foto4.png
    Foto4.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 34
Jun 10, 2020
If your rtl9210 has firmware 1.21.17 then you have newer firmware than than what was posted previously as latest firmware 1.20.12 (this was uploaded) and 1.21.10 (which was not uploaded).

I would not flash in this case the firmware

Last edited:

pluton

Aug 19, 2020
[QUOTE = "apoelistasaudi, publicación: 40256997, miembro: 457457"]
Si su rtl9210 tiene el firmware 1.21.17, entonces tiene un firmware más nuevo que el que se publicó anteriormente como el último firmware 1.20.12 (que se cargó) y 1.21.10 (que no se cargó).

No flashearía en este caso el firmware
[/ CITAR]
¿Puedes pensar en cuál podría ser el problema de que usb3.1 no funciona y, por lo tanto, no pasé las pruebas de velocidad mostradas antes? He probado los puertos USB A y USB C. El resultado es el mismo.

Jun 10, 2020
Pluton
Try
1. Different usb cable compatible with 3.1 gen 2
2. Format nvme memory
3. PC/laptop with 3.1 gen 2 usb port (10Gbps). Gen 1 usb 3.1 is same as usb 3.0. (5 Gbps).

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
xiaomi notebook pro 2020, this laptop has usb 3.1.
The case, that I cannot exceed 500MB, in the tests
Regards

Having USB 3.1 doesn't guarantee that you get greater than 500MB on your USB port. Both 3.1 and 3.2 are spec'ed to start at 5Gbps. So you'll see quite a bit of marketing out there taking advantage of it.

Jun 10, 2020
Having USB 3.1 doesn't guarantee that you get greater than 500MB on your USB port. Both 3.1 and 3.2 are spec'ed to start at 5Gbps. So you'll see quite a bit of marketing out there taking advantage of it.
3.1 gen 2 is same as 3.2 gen 2 x 1 . So 3.2 gen 2 (1 lane) is 10GBbps not 5Gbps, so expect about 1000MB/S read speeds.

usb 3.0 is usb 3.2 gen 1 (5GBPS)

Last edited: